Question about activating Thunderbolt

geckcgt

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
My friend switched to a galaxy S3, and let me have his HTC Thunerbolt. However, I'm still using a Droid 2 on an unlimited data plan. I noticed that the Thunderbolt has a 4G Sim Card: this raised a few questions:
1) If I buy an unactivated 4G sim card from, say, amazon, could it be activated? People keep saying Verizon gives them away for free, but I'd really rather avoid having a sales rep try to get me to upgrade
2) Will switching phones change my data plan? I heard about the grandfathering unlimited data thing.
3) If I want to keep my data plan, should I just start looking at 3G phones?

I searched online, and all the questions about activating phones seem to pertain to people who get a new contract, not with those who are just switching phones.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
If I'm wrong someone correct me, but my understanding is that if you purchase a phone outright, you can activate it on Verizon's network without losing your unlimited data plan. So, I would walk into your nearest Verizon store, tell them you need a new sim card for the phone your buddy gave you, and then activate it. Done and done, but they might want to charge you for the new sim.... doesn't Big Red always want to charge us for everything?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You won't lose unlimited data in your case. You can switch phones as much as you like, so long as you don't buy a subsidized phone with a 2 year contract. Just call Verizon, visit the website or physical store to get a sim, it is free, with free shipping.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
If I'm wrong someone correct me, but my understanding is that if you purchase a phone outright, you can activate it on Verizon's network without losing your unlimited data plan. So, I would walk into your nearest Verizon store, tell them you need a new sim card for the phone your buddy gave you, and then activate it. Done and done, but they might want to charge you for the new sim.... doesn't Big Red always want to charge us for everything?

That's right. You can keep unlimited data by either purchasing a phone at full retail or bringing your own, such as the case here with the friend's Thunderbolt. I believe most stores will try to charge you for a SIM as a general policy. But if you call Verizon, they can get the new phone activated on your account and will ship you a SIM free of charge. Not sure about going through Amazon, I'd just go straight to Verizon, store or call em, whichever you're most comfortable with. In either case be firm and polite that you can keep unlimited if they try to talk up the ShareEverything plans. Once it's all said and done be sure to check your account to ensure you still have unlimited data. If not, call them immediately to have it rectified. :)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
One warning, may not be relevant in your case.

My father-in-law had a 3G access point with unlimited data he used while on the road. Verizon called him and talked him into upgrading to a 4G access point (this was a few years ago, before the "subsidized device loses you unlimited data" thing).

He got his new access point, and then saw on his next bill that he was on a metered plan. Not terribly important to him since he rarely got anywhere near 1GB of his new 5GB cap, but it pissed him off so he called.

The Vz rep said that he had been on 3G unlimited data, but that did not grandfather him in to a 4G unlimited data plan, so his only option for 4G was to go metered.

This may or may not be true, but make sure that you get a promise that your new 4G plan will be grandfathered in as unlimited. And by "promise", I mean a piece of paper with a signature, printed name, and employee number.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
He should not have to be concerned losing his unlimited data even if he is coming from a 3G phone because he hasn't bought a phone on contract. He is using a phone he has been given by a friend and that is not a problem. Also SIM cards are free. If a retailer is charging for a SIM that is so wrong. It is recommended when you switch phones, get a new SIM.

Verizon wanted me to get a new SIM when they replaced my Bolt with a Rezound. I was given the Rezound having issues with the Bolt. I have had no issues with the phone.
I sold wireless prior to 4g phones coming out, but it makes sense to change out SIM when getting a different device. Verizon always gives them out free and if an indirect charges for them, that is totally wrong.

And I did make the switch to the new share everything plan. I found out I was only using around 4gig as my largest amount of data use. For me it is saving me around 30 a month so am very happy about it. I do use wifi when I am at work but I have the 6gig data plan and am fine with it. I don't mind not having the unlimited data. I can't pay full retail for a phone to maintain unlimited.