Overheating while (wireless) charging -- 3 batteries

daniel178

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
I recently purchased a wireless charging station/pad, the Verizon-branded LG WCP-700. I have 3 different batteries for my Thunderbolt (rooted, stock). 2 of them are the stock/original 1400mA batteries from HTC. One came with the phone, the other was purchased additionally from Verizon. The third is the red MyTouch 1650mA battery, purchased from Verizon.

ALL THREE batteries get warm/hot when charging with a corded charger. Still, it charges fine.

When I use my new wireless WCP-700 charging pad, the phone gets VERY HOT (52+ cel., 120-130 far.). Sometimes, it gets so hot that the charging stops. But sometimes, it charges throughout the night and fully charges the battery, which is fine. This happens with ALL THREE batteries.

What is wrong and what can be done?
Not interested in installing a new kernel, etc.
Not running many background apps.

MojaveHigh

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't have an answer for you, sorry, but I am curious about what is considered hot and what is considered too hot. 52+C seems extremely hot. I have gotten up to 42C and I thought that was too hot, so much so that I unplugged my phone (from my car). Is there circuitry in all phones/batteries to stop charging if the battery gets too hot? What actually is too hot?

daniel178

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that is too hot. Anywhere from 25-35 degrees Celsius is considered nominal. And all functions should work fine at that point.

42 is pretty hot too, but not hot enough to stop functionality. Definitely not hot enough to cause anything to rupture (which can happen at extreme temperatures to batteries -- this is why you often see "do not incinerate" or "dispose of properly" something similar on rechargeable batteries). Even if your battery stayed at 42 all the time, it would probably not cause any real harm, except for discomfort for you, and applications may encounter problems due to the CPU causing errors, etc.

I'd say most newer phones/batteries have circuitry that shuts down the charging feature (or the phone itself) if the CPU, battery, or motherboard gets too hot. Same thing with your home computer. This is to prevent anything from burning out and causing permanent damage.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
it also depends on ambient. Of course, this depends on where you are, but I have seen ambient temperature as high as 115deg. Obviously, actual phone temp would be higher than ambient.

emgp

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
The problem is the induction coil of your wireless charger. All this wireless chargers, are very powerfull, and charges the phone very quickly, and the problem with the new Lithium batteries its that hot temperatures reduces its overall cicle life, if the temperature rises its limits. (45+ Celcius). The Li-on Batteries suffers if you discharge tottaly the cels, and if are stressed to high temperatures. I`m no recomend this type of chargers yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12