Ok where is ICS for non rooted

medic673

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
So in typical fashion, we are promised ics by the end of Aug, here we are still waiting. Anyone have any news at all lol.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

gvlakers

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
It seems like releases are usually released on Friday, so we will see if they hold true to their word. Otherwise, if today goes by and not a peep out of VZW/HTC, I think this will be the nail in the coffin for many TB users

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The leak just hit last week. I'd say a couple more weeks. Also, a new radio leaked last night. Its coming. Fyi.....its sweet!

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The leak just hit last week. I'd say a couple more weeks. Also, a new radio leaked last night. Its coming. Fyi.....its sweet!

"The leak" you are referring to is not a Verizon build/RUU. It's an aftermarket build based on a test build done in April.

Until one or two actual RUU leaks have been released, don't hold your breath. And that process usually takes a few weeks. I'm going to guess that we aren't going to see ICS in September, or if we are it'll be very late September.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
"The leak" you are referring to is not a Verizon build/RUU. It's an aftermarket build based on a test build done in April.

Until one or two actual RUU leaks have been released, don't hold your breath. And that process usually takes a few weeks. I'm going to guess that we aren't going to see ICS in September, or if we are it'll be very late September.

Yup, that's about what I'm thinking if the update doesn't get cancelled instead. Even if it does roll out, there will be bugs and how long will it take for a subsequent update to roll out (if it ever does)? Myself, I can't quite understand why Verizon/HTC are even considering rolling out a major update for a phone that's a year and half old, is already very stable on its current software and where a vast majority of its owners are no longer under warranty. It's just asking for trouble IMO.

Anyway, just saw this this morning:

4 Reasons Why the HTC ThunderBolt ICS Update Could Be Late:

4 Reasons Why the HTC ThunderBolt ICS Update Could Be Late

1. HTC and Verizon completely missed the July upgrade window for the HTC Rezound and then pretended as if nothing happened when it released the software in early August instead. It?s clear that neither company has any problem breaking update promises.

2. HTC?s Facebook account has stopped telling ThunderBolt owners that August is still in the cards. Instead, it has been extremely vague about the update?s arrival.

3. Verizon?s website remains without an HTC ThunderBolt ICS update changelog, something that is usually posted ahead of a widespread roll out.

4. Verizon may have learned that hitting the deadline for the sake of hitting the deadline probably isn?t as smart as it sounds. The Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX updates were released on the last day of their promised update window and both pieces of software are plagued with bugs. So, it?s possible that HTC and Verizon want to avoid something similar. (The HTC Rezound update was smooth, from what I can tell.)

Reactions: obidos

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
We also have the history of our own update to Gingerbread to remember, of course.

I suspect the Thunderbolt will get ICS at some point, but I'll honestly be surprised if it happens in September, and I won't be surprised at all if it's more of a Christmas present than a candy handout at Trick-or-Treat time. And it might be a late Christmas present at that.

Or by the time HTC has a quality build ready for Verizon to bloatify, Big Red will decide that it's simply not worth the effort for the few remaining Thunderboltians, and they'll just either toss the RUU out there for anyone who might still be interested or redirect the backups to /dev/null and call it a day.

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
disappointing to say the least. I wouldn't even be interested until I my wife recently got ICS for her Droid 4. :D

Dachillefx

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I had faith only because HTC was very adamant in saying it would be B4 August ends. Now, I don't know. Maybe and hopefully it will be like the Rezound. It was promised a @ least July release upgrade. Instead it was an very early August release, and to my knowledge little to no problems actually running smoothly. Granted that device is dual core. Will Thunderbolt be the only single core device attempting to run ICS? Incredible 2 is single core? Hopefully if update is not to roll out today, there will be an official statement from HTC and or Verizon...

NotAnotherSN92

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I see it coming out in the next couple of weeks. Like Synycalwon mentioned, they quietly released the Rezound update at the beginning of this month after promising a July release. I see it coming probably mid-September, definitely before October rolls around.

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I see it coming out in the next couple of weeks. Like Synycalwon mentioned, they quietly released the Rezound update at the beginning of this month after promising a July release. I see it coming probably mid-September, definitely before October rolls around.

hope so!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully if it fails to be released, HTC and or Verizon will release an official statement saying when and why. Preferably today..

It seems like the entire Android universe is plagued with vague hints. HTC & VZW make cryptic comments, developers hint about big improvements, manufacturers hint about new phones in the pipeline.

The "in crowd" seems to revel in it and LOL back and forth about hints and inferences.

I've never found these hints amusing in the least. I like it when people/companies say what they mean and mean what they say. When something goes wrong I like a plain statement explaining it. I guess I will never get "cute" talk.

Dachillefx

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
It seems like the entire Android universe is plagued with vague hints. HTC & VZW make cryptic comments, developers hint about big improvements, manufacturers hint about new phones in the pipeline. I agree with you. According to the reports HTC so-called promised several devices to updated by today. I wonder how many people besides the (unrooted)Thunderbolt Fam are feeling like another disappointment is on the way. Dare I say Desire HD. Someone mentioned October. That's when my contract is done. If Verizon don't get what I feel to be the "Next Big Thing " I'll be done with them as well. To be the so - called smallest company, they make you pay big, but then never seem to deliver the best results...

The "in crowd" seems to revel in it and LOL back and forth about hints and inferences.

I've never found these hints amusing in the least. I like it when people/companies say what they mean and mean what they say. When something goes wrong I like a plain statement explaining it. I guess I will never get "cute" talk.

Dachillefx

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. According to the reports HTC so-called promised several devices to be updated by today. I wonder how many people besides the (unrooted)Thunderbolt Fam are feeling like another disappointment is on the way. Dare I say Desire HD. Someone mentioned October. That's when my contract is done. If Verizon don't get what I feel to be the "Next Big Thing " I'll be done with them as well. To be the so - called smallest company, they make you pay big, but then never seem to deliver the best results...

Dachillefx

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. According to the reports HTC so-called promised several devices to be updated by today. I wonder how many people besides the (unrooted)Thunderbolt Fam are feeling like another disappointment is on the way. Dare I say Desire HD. Someone mentioned October. That's when my contract is done. If Verizon don't get what I feel to be the "Next Big Thing " I'll be done with them as well. To be the so - called smallest company, they make you pay big, but then never seem to deliver the best results...

AZSALUKI

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but why don't you all just root and get it over with. I suspect all of your warranties are expired anyhow at this point and your likely even somewhat close to your upgrade date. Trust me when I say that I have NO idea what I'm doing and managed to do it in less than am hour. I know that's not really the point of this thread. I also completely agree that it would be nice if they would just tell us its not going to happen (if that's the case) or tell us there has been a delay because its just too unstable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol