Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By natehoy
  • 2 Post By recDNA
  • 1 Post By Spacemaker24
  • 1 Post By mightyfacundo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ok where is ICS for non rooted

So in typical fashion, we are promised ics by the end of Aug, here we are still waiting. Anyone have any news at all lol.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

"promised" lol

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Default Re: Ok where is ICS for non rooted

It seems like releases are usually released on Friday, so we will see if they hold true to their word. Otherwise, if today goes by and not a peep out of VZW/HTC, I think this will be the nail in the coffin for many TB users

The leak just hit last week. I'd say a couple more weeks. Also, a new radio leaked last night. Its coming. Fyi.....its sweet!

sent from my bolt using tapatalk

Where is the radio file located...

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by AZSALUKI View Post
    The leak just hit last week. I'd say a couple more weeks. Also, a new radio leaked last night. Its coming. Fyi.....its sweet!

"The leak" you are referring to is not a Verizon build/RUU. It's an aftermarket build based on a test build done in April.

Until one or two actual RUU leaks have been released, don't hold your breath. And that process usually takes a few weeks. I'm going to guess that we aren't going to see ICS in September, or if we are it'll be very late September.
    Synycalwon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    "The leak" you are referring to is not a Verizon build/RUU. It's an aftermarket build based on a test build done in April.

Until one or two actual RUU leaks have been released, don't hold your breath. And that process usually takes a few weeks. I'm going to guess that we aren't going to see ICS in September, or if we are it'll be very late September.
    Yup, that's about what I'm thinking if the update doesn't get cancelled instead. Even if it does roll out, there will be bugs and how long will it take for a subsequent update to roll out (if it ever does)? Myself, I can't quite understand why Verizon/HTC are even considering rolling out a major update for a phone that's a year and half old, is already very stable on its current software and where a vast majority of its owners are no longer under warranty. It's just asking for trouble IMO.

Anyway, just saw this this morning:

4 Reasons Why the HTC ThunderBolt ICS Update Could Be Late:

4 Reasons Why the HTC ThunderBolt ICS Update Could Be Late

1. HTC and Verizon completely missed the July upgrade window for the HTC Rezound and then pretended as if nothing happened when it released the software in early August instead. Its clear that neither company has any problem breaking update promises.

2. HTCs Facebook account has stopped telling ThunderBolt owners that August is still in the cards. Instead, it has been extremely vague about the updates arrival.

3. Verizons website remains without an HTC ThunderBolt ICS update changelog, something that is usually posted ahead of a widespread roll out.

4. Verizon may have learned that hitting the deadline for the sake of hitting the deadline probably isnt as smart as it sounds. The Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX updates were released on the last day of their promised update window and both pieces of software are plagued with bugs. So, its possible that HTC and Verizon want to avoid something similar. (The HTC Rezound update was smooth, from what I can tell.)
    Thanked by:
    obidos 

ROM
    Stock

We also have the history of our own update to Gingerbread to remember, of course.

I suspect the Thunderbolt will get ICS at some point, but I'll honestly be surprised if it happens in September, and I won't be surprised at all if it's more of a Christmas present than a candy handout at Trick-or-Treat time. And it might be a late Christmas present at that.

Or by the time HTC has a quality build ready for Verizon to bloatify, Big Red will decide that it's simply not worth the effort for the few remaining Thunderboltians, and they'll just either toss the RUU out there for anyone who might still be interested or redirect the backups to /dev/null and call it a day.

disappointing to say the least. I wouldn't even be interested until I my wife recently got ICS for her Droid 4.

I had faith only because HTC was very adamant in saying it would be B4 August ends. Now, I don't know. Maybe and hopefully it will be like the Rezound. It was promised a @ least July release upgrade. Instead it was an very early August release, and to my knowledge little to no problems actually running smoothly. Granted that device is dual core. Will Thunderbolt be the only single core device attempting to run ICS? Incredible 2 is single core? Hopefully if update is not to roll out today, there will be an official statement from HTC and or Verizon...

I see it coming out in the next couple of weeks. Like Synycalwon mentioned, they quietly released the Rezound update at the beginning of this month after promising a July release. I see it coming probably mid-September, definitely before October rolls around.

Hopefully if it fails to be released, HTC and or Verizon will release an official statement saying when and why. Preferably today..

Quote Originally Posted by NotAnotherSN92 View Post
    I see it coming out in the next couple of weeks. Like Synycalwon mentioned, they quietly released the Rezound update at the beginning of this month after promising a July release. I see it coming probably mid-September, definitely before October rolls around.
    hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Dachillefx View Post
    Hopefully if it fails to be released, HTC and or Verizon will release an official statement saying when and why. Preferably today..
    It seems like the entire Android universe is plagued with vague hints. HTC & VZW make cryptic comments, developers hint about big improvements, manufacturers hint about new phones in the pipeline.

The "in crowd" seems to revel in it and LOL back and forth about hints and inferences.

I've never found these hints amusing in the least. I like it when people/companies say what they mean and mean what they say. When something goes wrong I like a plain statement explaining it. I guess I will never get "cute" talk.
    ggrr8t and Mikey D_PhD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    It seems like the entire Android universe is plagued with vague hints. HTC & VZW make cryptic comments, developers hint about big improvements, manufacturers hint about new phones in the pipeline. I agree with you. According to the reports HTC so-called promised several devices to updated by today. I wonder how many people besides the (unrooted)Thunderbolt Fam are feeling like another disappointment is on the way. Dare I say Desire HD. Someone mentioned October. That's when my contract is done. If Verizon don't get what I feel to be the "Next Big Thing " I'll be done with them as well. To be the so - called smallest company, they make you pay big, but then never seem to deliver the best results...

The "in crowd" seems to revel in it and LOL back and forth about hints and inferences.

I've never found these hints amusing in the least. I like it when people/companies say what they mean and mean what they say. When something goes wrong I like a plain statement explaining it. I guess I will never get "cute" talk.

I agree with you. According to the reports HTC so-called promised several devices to be updated by today. I wonder how many people besides the (unrooted)Thunderbolt Fam are feeling like another disappointment is on the way. Dare I say Desire HD. Someone mentioned October. That's when my contract is done. If Verizon don't get what I feel to be the "Next Big Thing " I'll be done with them as well. To be the so - called smallest company, they make you pay big, but then never seem to deliver the best results...

I agree with you. According to the reports HTC so-called promised several devices to be updated by today. I wonder how many people besides the (unrooted)Thunderbolt Fam are feeling like another disappointment is on the way. Dare I say Desire HD. Someone mentioned October. That's when my contract is done. If Verizon don't get what I feel to be the "Next Big Thing " I'll be done with them as well. To be the so - called smallest company, they make you pay big, but then never seem to deliver the best results...

The end is nigh!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
    ToddL likes this.

I wish they would at least give us the option to update it.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here, but why don't you all just root and get it over with. I suspect all of your warranties are expired anyhow at this point and your likely even somewhat close to your upgrade date. Trust me when I say that I have NO idea what I'm doing and managed to do it in less than am hour. I know that's not really the point of this thread. I also completely agree that it would be nice if they would just tell us its not going to happen (if that's the case) or tell us there has been a delay because its just too unstable.

So learned my lesson with the bolt, which was my first Android device. Never buying anything other than a Nexus from here on out.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using Tapatalk 2

And as you can see from my sig, that goes for tablets too.
    @drew3sbs on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    So learned my lesson with the bolt, which was my first Android device. Never buying anything other than a Nexus from here on out.

And as you can see from my sig, that goes for tablets too.

My wife has the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and she has gotten 1 OTA. I understand your frustration, but I wanted to point out that even a Nexus isn't guaranteed timely updates. The big advantage the Nexus has is that it is easily rooted and has a strong developer community, similar to the Thunderbolt. My wife only has Jelly Bean because she flashed a ROM for it. Otherwise, she'd be waiting for it like you are for ICS. I'm not trying to excuse Verizon and HTC failing to live up to their promise of getting us ICS, but I've come to expect that this is pretty much par for the course with every Verizon phone.

Now, I'm not gonna tell you to just root, but trter has made it very easy to do so if you decide to. And if you do, you could have ICS today along with Google Now.

If rooting isn't for you, but you still want to experience pretty much all of the features of ICS, download ADW Launcher EX, Holo Launcher, Go Launcher, or Launcher Pro. Load up an ICS theme, and it will look and feel like you have ICS. If nothing else, it's fun to mess around with the features and change the look of your phone until Big Red finally gets around to releasing it. And if you want to see what it looks like, I posted a screen shot in the Tbolt ICS screen shots thread.

I'm not at all opposed to rooting, and I'm sure I will. I had planned on waiting until after htc abandoned updates, but we'll see. As far as updates on nexus devices go, I agree with your points, but I still think they have the best likelihood of timely updates. So that's the route I'll take in the future.

@drew3sbs on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    I'm not at all opposed to rooting, and I'm sure I will. I had planned on waiting until after htc abandoned updates, but we'll see. As far as updates on nexus devices go, I agree with your points, but I still think they have the best likelihood of timely updates. So that's the route I'll take in the future.

I can't say I blame you at all, and if you decide to root and have questions, don't hesitate to ask.
    Thanked by:
    AZSALUKI likes this.