Like Tree43Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: HTC response to where is ICS for TB

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Piizzadude do you work for Verizon or HTC to know how the exact process goes?

If not than that's a pretty unsubstantiated claim to make, that Verizon creates the RIL for the phone. I don't believe that for a second Verizon has anything to do with the ROM. I believe they tell HTC they need to have certain bloat apps in the ROM, but ultimately HTC is the one who creates the ROM. Verizon just does internal tests on their network with the updated device and then distributes if it's good. That's how I'd imagine it works for ALL phone OEM's, regardless of carrier.

Could Verizon be the one holding the update back? Sure. If the last update they received from HTC was back in April and they never said "hey this update isn't any good, cook up a new one." Then in that case who's really at fault?

I have a feeling without an inside source we'll never truly know what's going on behind the scenes here.

What I DO know is I am disappointed in this device and HTC as a phone manufacturer. It will be my last one by them, and I will have to look elsewhere. I can't blame Verizon for their faults.
    Nope dont work for either, but I will prove you wrong very simply.

Who is the one who gets the money for putting "let's golf" on every Fascinate, Charge, OR Thunderbolt?

That would be Verizon.

Even simpler, VZ Navigator is baked into the OS. Pre-ICS, you couldnt uninstall it. HTC/Sammy/sony/moto/lg/whoever didnt put it there....

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Nope dont work for either, but I will prove you wrong very simply.

Who is the one who gets the money for putting "let's golf" on every Fascinate, Charge, OR Thunderbolt?

That would be Verizon.

Even simpler, VZ Navigator is baked into the OS. Pre-ICS, you couldnt uninstall it. HTC/Sammy/sony/moto/lg/whoever didnt put it there....
    Says who? Just because Verizon is obligated by contracts to have those bloatware on their phones, does that really mean it is by their hands that it gets put on the ROMs? What makes you think they don't just tell these phone OEM's to put that bloatware on there themselves as they bake the ROM?

Just because Verizon says that bloatware has to be on the phone doesn't mean they put it on the phone themselves.

Either way that's not at all what this thread is about. It's about HTC failing to meet their own deadline of "end of August" and there is absolutely no arguing that fact.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I am sorry but you are either being pigheaded or dumb. why would htc do work so that vzw can get paid?

I am sorry but you are either being pigheaded or dumb. why would htc do work so that vzw can get paid?
    Because Verizon is a telecommunications company, not a phone OEM that dabbles in the software world. They don't make ROMs, the OEM's do.

If you really don't believe that then look at the article about Motorola and their locked bootloaders. THEY do it, but only because Verizon tells them to. Doesn't mean Verizon takes the phones shipped from Motorola then cracks them open and adds these locked bootloaders to them. Same story can be applied to the bloatware.

It's common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    That's an assumption. It's rarely that simple. There are always pros and cons involved and sometimes major updates can ruin what was otherwise a solid working device.
    Well. For those who are aware, some either dread or anticipate it. As for others...it just a pop up on their screen. I agree there are pros and cons but the common opinion toward an update is the concept of either fixing or upgrading your OS. Not to anticipate a failure or to sabotage your user habit. Lets use the first 'maintenance' update as an example. For some it made reboots, GPS locks etc. either better or worse but the reason behind it was to fix those issues.
    So IMO, if you hear of an update, you would naturally expect it to do something better for your whatever.
    It just doesn't always come out that way.

-NX-7-
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Because Verizon is a telecommunications company, not a phone OEM that dabbles in the software world. They don't make ROMs, the OEM's do.

If you really don't believe that then look at the article about Motorola and their locked bootloaders. THEY do it, but only because Verizon tells them to. Doesn't mean Verizon takes the phones shipped from Motorola then cracks them open and adds these locked bootloaders to them. Same story can be applied to the bloatware.

It's common sense.
    No sorry wrong again. Verizon demands that the bootloaders be locked before they leave the factory. Case in point: the sgs3 is unlocked on EVERY carrier but verizon. Why? Because they said so, that is why.

Convince me, show me something. I have shown you why it is Verizon and not HTC, but you haven't shown me anything to the contrary. Tell me why it isn't verizon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

No sorry wrong again. Verizon demands that the bootloaders be locked before they leave the factory. Case in point: the sgs3 is unlocked on EVERY carrier but verizon. Why? Because they said so, that is why.

Convince me, show me something. I have shown you why it is Verizon and not HTC, but you haven't shown me anything to the contrary. Tell me why it isn't verizon.

Wait, what? Are you completely oblivious and unaware to what you just admitted?

You basically just confirmed what I said. Verizon TELLS Motorola they have to put the locked bootloader on the phone before it leaves the warehouse.... dur? That's exactly what I've been saying all along.

Verizon TELLS them (HTC) to put this bloatware on our phones, do you really believe HTC cooks up a RUU and sends it to Verizon who then adds their own crap to the RUU and then says look here's an update. For real? No the logical path here is that HTC builds the RUU's for our phones, handles the RIL (since it's using their chipsets and drivers) and then Verizon swings a memo by "hey guys don't forget to add this bloatware to your update or else" and then HTC complies.

Honestly, brick wall....

Edit: I'm just gonna walk away and ignore this whole conversation of ignorance. Done getting trolled by casuals.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Lol... Trolled by casuals?
    Pretty sure my post count is higher. Locking the bootloader is one thing, and that is not adding something. It is a simple thing to do.

Baking something into the os so it cannot be removed takes time. Time that HTC is not going to give away.

I am still waiting for you to show me something to prove your point. All you have shown so far is that you are on par with a boulder.

Hugely invested in where you are and kind of immovable.

Show me something, prove me wrong.

Wait, what? Are you completely oblivious and unaware to what you just admitted?

You basically just confirmed what I said. Verizon TELLS Motorola they have to put the locked bootloader on the phone before it leaves the warehouse.... dur? That's exactly what I've been saying all along.

Verizon TELLS them (HTC) to put this bloatware on our phones, do you really believe HTC cooks up a RUU and sends it to Verizon who then adds their own crap to the RUU and then says look here's an update. For real? No the logical path here is that HTC builds the RUU's for our phones, handles the RIL (since it's using their chipsets and drivers) and then Verizon swings a memo by "hey guys don't forget to add this bloatware to your update or else" and then HTC complies.

Honestly, brick wall....

Edit: I'm just gonna walk away and ignore this whole conversation of ignorance. Done getting trolled by casuals.
    Verizon provides the RIL. Its one of the reasons the Galaxy Nexus was removed from AOSP a while back.

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    ROM
    Synergy Nightlys

Those of you who came from HPalm, knows this all too well.....

Although im perfectly happy with my TB...for now.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Verizon provides the RIL. Its one of the reasons the Galaxy Nexus was removed from AOSP a while back.

Without a doubt, that is proprietary info that they would never give to an outside company. Just like how to bake vz navigator in...

To all who cry. Root your Bolt and enjoy. It's easy and fun. The Liquid/Jester build of ICS is the . It is an experimental build but it is pretty damn good. Don't wait on Verizon.

You have been debunked. RIL is proprietary to the OEM's. I'm sure a direct quote from a phone OEM saying RIL is THEIRS won't be enough for some of you people. But fact is fact. And I'm done dealing with this.

You casuals want to defend HTC and shoot all the hate on Verizon but the fact is this delayed update is HTC's fault. Their phone. Their Sense junk. Their fault.

So people think pissing and moaning to HTC will help this situation?? You know what, it probably will. I'm almost positive HTC was oblivious to their users being pissed about not getting ICS on time.......

Anyone who knows anything about technology should know that release dates are meant to be broken.

You have been debunked. RIL is proprietary to the OEM's. I'm sure a direct quote from a phone OEM saying RIL is THEIRS won't be enough for some of you people. But fact is fact. And I'm done dealing with this.

You casuals want to defend HTC and shoot all the hate on Verizon but the fact is this delayed update is HTC's fault. Their phone. Their Sense junk. Their fault.
    Casuals? Excuse me?

The RIL is provided by Verizon. Period.

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Good stfu and go away it is obvious that you you know just enough to not be held back in 6th grade but have no shot at high school.

I have yet to have you show me any supporting evidence of your claims.

I guess I should just give myself 20 infraction points and get it over with.

Why all the fuss? We'll get it when we get it. I suggest those of you who are fighting just head down to your local Long John Silvers and get some white fish with hush puppies and relax.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
    lilnut13 likes this.

Casuals? Excuse me?

The RIL is provided by Verizon. Period.

Why do you continue to deny fact that is blatant right in your face? What more could you possibly want than a direct quote from a phone manufacturer confirming that the RIL is their proprietary source code, and they do not want that info out in the wild. There is nothing Verizon about that post. YOU are the one who keeps insisting it's Verizon's RIL source, when yet the truth is sitting right in front of you.

Good **** and go away it is obvious that you you know just enough to not be held back in 6th grade but have no shot at high school.

I have yet to have you show me any supporting evidence of your claims.

I guess I should just give myself 20 infraction points and get it over with.

Your true nature shows. I give you the evidence you ask for, and as I expected it wasn't enough to get you to accept reality. It's never enough for your types.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    ROM
    None, thanks to the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemaker24 View Post
    Why all the fuss? We'll get it when we get it. I suggest those of you who are fighting just head down to your local Long John Silvers and get some white fish with hush puppies and relax.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
    Yummy, white fish hush puppies. But that place doesn't sit so well with me about 5 minutes after eating it.
    lilnut13 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Why do you continue to deny fact that is blatant right in your face? What more could you possibly want than a direct quote from a phone manufacturer confirming that the RIL is their proprietary source code, and they do not want that info out in the wild. There is nothing Verizon about that post. YOU are the one who keeps insisting it's Verizon's RIL source, when yet the truth is sitting right in front of you.

You gave me one link to an Internet post. Really? So show me a link to an actual article.

Your true nature shows. I give you the evidence you ask for, and as I expected it wasn't enough to get you to accept reality. It's never enough for your types.

Then explain why Google identified proprietary Verizon binaries that made the radios work as the reason why the Galaxy Nexus was temporarily removed from AOSP.

Then explain why Google identified proprietary Verizon binaries that made the radios work as the reason why the Galaxy Nexus was temporarily removed from AOSP.

Read that, really read it, and then maybe if you guys can open your mind for a few brief moments you'll realize that the Sprint CDMA Nexus S 4G was also removed from Google's AOSP source support.

Hur dur it's all Verizon's fault, yet the Sprint Nexus lost AOSP support too..... I guess it's still all Verizon's fault, at least in a world without logic.

Read that, really read it, and then maybe if you guys can open your mind for a few brief moments you'll realize that the Sprint CDMA Nexus S 4G was also removed from Google's AOSP source support.

Hur dur it's all Verizon's fault, yet the Sprint Nexus lost AOSP support too..... I guess it's still all Verizon's fault, at least in a world without logic.
    I did. Did you?

From a post JBQ wrote that is linked to in that link:

For various technical reasons, recent CDMA Android devices implement core telephony functionality in .apk files provided in binary form by the carriers. To function correctly, these .apk files must be signed by the so-called "platform" key. However, when an individual creates a custom build from the AOSP source code, they don't use the same signing key as these CDMA flies were signed with.
    Myself and Piizzadude eagerly await your apology.

I did. Did you?

From a post JBQ wrote that is linked to in that link:

Myself and Piizzadude eagerly await your apology.

Are you kidding me? I spelled it out for you and you still are trolling me?

Here:

A SPRINT PHONE.

A !@#$ING SPRINT PHONE.

WAS REMOVED FROM THE AOSP SOURCE FOR THE SAME REASON A VERIZON PHONE WAS.

Are you seriously ignorant or are you just trolling me? Please tell me you're just trolling me, because I'll admit it's working. I refuse to believe such blind ignorance could be real.

Last time I checked, both sprint and Verizon are carriers. That control the binaries/APKs that JPQ was talking about and you're claiming come from samsung. And all of those handsets were removed for the same reason.

Or to put it another way:

All of the CDMA nexii were removed from AOSP at the same time, regardless of carrier. All of them were Samsung handsets. Now, the Verizon ones are back. So, using critical thinking, you can deduce that the issue was not getting proprietary radio software from Samsung, it was getting it from the carriers. Verizon has allowed Google to use it, while sprint has not. (Hence the reason why the sprint galaxy nexus is not in AOSP, despite being the same handset as the Verizon one)

Hope that cleared it up for you. We're still waiting for the apology.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast