Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: HTC response to where is ICS for TB

Quote Originally Posted by armeddroid View Post
    Are you sure?
    I could have sworn that Sense will be up to 3.6 and ICS will only have a partial build.
    I can't remember now.
    :/
    I guess you'll have to help me understand what you mean by a "partial build".

In "Android OS" terms, a "partial build" would not boot, so I know you don't mean that.

In "vanilla Google experience" terms, everything but a Nexus device is a "partial build" on stock firmware since the default launcher, lockscreen, and in some cases other components are removed, disabled, or concealed, with tons of juicy bloatware added and made part of the base install so it cannot be removed.

If you're talking about a "partial ICS build" as in someone is backporting parts of ICS onto a Gingerbread build sufficient for it to be considered an ICS lookalike, or promoting Gingerbread components into an ICS build, dear Zeus that would be a nightmare.

However, the third-party ICS build that was made up based on the leaked build is a "partial build" in that not all the functionality is perfect. The connection indicator always shows 1X even when in 3G and 4G, for example, and other features don't work perfectly on the Tbolt's oddball hardware (remember, for example, that we and the Rezound are the only radios on Verizon that can do simultaneous talk and data on Verizon's 3G - normally CDMA does not allow this until you reach LTE/4G). Maybe you're thinking of that firmware?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Positive. You will get the same thing as the Rezound got. Also, as the previous poster more or less said, you cannot have half of an os or a kang and think it is gonna work

Sent from my thumbs with no brain censorship

I cant recall where I read that but if thas the case, then thas better then I was personally expecting.

-NX-7-

any updates on HTC's Facebook page?

Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

Yup. Fragmentation is a problem whenever you have a diverse product base manufactured by different companies and used on different networks. Here we are, waiting for an OS upgrade that is already obsolete.

That comes with the ability to choose different interfaces and different hardware selections made by different vendors to meet a wider variety of specific needs. There's simply going to be no way you can have a diverse selection of hardware without some sacrifice in total compatibility with every possible upgrade. We learned that in the Personal Computer world, where lots of computers could not accept upgrades to the latest version of MS-DOS or Windows due to driver backports being unavailable or the hardware simply inadequate. Yet, there are those of us who still embrace the chaos because, within it, we can find the device we want that suits our needs the best, rather than dealing with the compromises of a homogenous "one-size-fits-all" solution where your only choice is how much memory you want.
    Thanked by:
    mightyfacundo likes this.

I don't use Facebook - have there been any recent updates from HTC on ICS?

The only update so far is a mysterious picture they posted of someone giving the middle finger and underneath in bold text "LOL".
    Thanked by 2:
    ToddL and armeddroid like this.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by obidos View Post
    I don't use Facebook - have there been any recent updates from HTC on ICS?
    There'd have been another 2-3 threads started by now if there were. (grin)

The only meaningful update would be an official RUU build. That would indicate that we are 2-4 weeks out from the next over-the-air update if the RUU testing goes well.

I could be completely wrong, but frankly I don't think there will ever be an official ICS update pushed out by Verizon. At this stage of the phone's life cycle it just doesn't make any sense.

^ dang. sad and probably true.

Since the ICS update is likely to be the last update for the Thunderbolt, I'm hoping that this extra long wait is due to making sure there are no bugs in this release. They probably don't want to release it and find a bug that they would have to allocate resources for fixing since this phone is basically finished.
    dobermans rule likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I could be completely wrong, but frankly I don't think there will ever be an official ICS update pushed out by Verizon. At this stage of the phone's life cycle it just doesn't make any sense.
    Possibly. It's similar enough to the Rezound that i don't think it would be a huge build effort, but we do have the oddball 3G radio that does simultaneous voice and data that might take extra work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X

I would think that they would try to update it. Because if they didn't, HTC would never here the end of it, even if it is Verizon's fault.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums

I bet after they give us ICS we will see at least 1 additional software updates to squash additional bugs and fix any security issues that may arise

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

I see no reason to believe vzw will spend a nickel on development for our phones. They'd prefer we buy a new phone and lose our unlimited data.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    ROM
    None, thanks to the man.

I agree, but it seems strange that as late at Aug 9, HTC said that ICS would be out by the end of Aug (3 weeks away). It seems surprising that they thought they were that close to being ready, but as it turns out they were no where near ready.

I'm surprised we haven't heard any more rumors also from inside VZW, aside from the generic info that they broke it when they tried to install their bloatware. Are they still testing? Or did the test/reject, and put it back in HTCs hands to fix?

Normally I'm not too concerned about updates, but if this will fix my data drop issue, I'd let to get it ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_L View Post
    I agree, but it seems strange that as late at Aug 9, HTC said that ICS would be out by the end of Aug (3 weeks away). It seems surprising that they thought they were that close to being ready, but as it turns out they were no where near ready.

I'm surprised we haven't heard any more rumors also from inside VZW, aside from the generic info that they broke it when they tried to install their bloatware. Are they still testing? Or did the test/reject, and put it back in HTCs hands to fix?

Normally I'm not too concerned about updates, but if this will fix my data drop issue, I'd let to get it ASAP.
    I doubt that it will help with data drops and I also doubt vzw is even working on it or we would have a new leak.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_L View Post
    HTC saying that ICS would be out means that, at best, they would have released it to Verizon. Verizon still has a lot of bloatware to add and features to disable before they start releasing RUUs.

And, of course, that is based on the premise that HTC actually made their deliverable date for an ICS build on a nonproduction phone with a specialty one-off CDMA radio on hardware barely able to run ICS, and that Verizon will be able to add all the bloatware they need without overloading the device's memory to the point of uselessness.

I'm not giving up hope that Big Red will eventually release something Ice Cream Sammy-ish, I'm just not thinking it's going to be real soon.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

In the meantime, the phone is working very well. I use Firefox as my browser and while a few of the features in ICS would be nice, none of them are currently notable for their absence.

Let Verizon add whatever crapware they want to add. Once we have ICS, we can just disable it. I hope we do get it some time soon. As natehoy notes, though, the phone is working well now so waiting a bit more shouldn't kill anyone.
    I choose Android...it's only logical.

Don't know what all the hate is about for an update. My TB works just fine at 2.34. I have a Moto Zoom wifi. That came with ICS. I hated it till I got the JB update. Now that's an update. Why do u want a half baked update and have Verizon screw it up more. I'm due for an upgrade as my TB turns 2 years old soon. Will be upgrading to JB out of the box, what ever I get. Glad to skip that low grade update and go on to bigger and much better JB. Think ahead my friends. You will be happier.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    mightyfacundo likes this.

The problem with that line of thinking is that this is not an isolated incident. Whatever new phone you get (unless it's a nexus...not on verizon) this will happen. Perhaps not in such a grand f-up fashion that only the combination of HTC and Verizon could concoct but it will happen as long as these companies are putting out so many phones that they cannot devote the necessary funds, time, and personnel to update them all.

And again your TB works fine. Great. I think you're in the minority. A lot of people have crippling data connection issues. To be fair to Verizon I don't think they have the ability to screw the TB up any more than it already is unless the (imaginary) ICS update auto bricks the phone. And also remember these version updates are more than just eye candy upgrades. They have important security fixes that people who paid their thousands of dollars for the phone+contract are owed. I don't know why some people here are so willing to look the other way while these companies screw their customers time and time again. Your solution is basically "too bad buy a new phone". This is unacceptable to me which is why I am done with Verizon when my contract is up.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

It is the one thing Android does poorly, updates. Yes. I know. It is the OEMs and carriers that do most of the controlling here but in general it gives Android a bad name.

On the defensive side for the carriers at least, the put out a ton of phones, supporting them all is tough. The 18 month guideline should be doable though.

Phones need to be tri-layer and the layers be somewhat independent from each other.

The Android layer
    The oem layer
    The buyer's layer

All should be able to be upgraded simply.

I should also be a trillion-aire by now but such is life.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

HTC said on Facebook that they are working to resolve connectivity issues.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

If HTC continues to put effort into this update and pushes it out, that is pretty cool. The phone will be 2 years old coming up and to get an update like that is pretty cool...

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast