Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Default Re: Ice cream sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by Treknologist View Post
    I could upgrade now as well IF I wanted to stay on a contract with Verizon. Since that is not what I want to do, I'll wait until March to get the Nexus 4 and switch to a prepaid plan on TMO most likely. That or AT&T. I'll have to see what I do then.
    i was just telling someone the other day how any pre paid plan ive ever had, has cost me more than a contract would have. been about 5 years since ive had a pre paid plan though

Quote Originally Posted by thundersome View Post
    You'd think Verizon was developing the cure for cancer. It's a god damn phone update. What possible justification is there for such a disgraceful length of time for this phone (A former "flagship" phone. Verizon's first 4g phone. The phone sucking hind tit.) to not have ICS? As soon as my contract is up I'm moving to a nexus with a monthly contract with another company. The reception will be worse. The speeds will be worse. The data might be capped. But I won't have to deal with Verizon anymore.
    Why would VZW spend a bunch of money and time on ICS for T-bolt? I want ICS but I can see why VZW is in no hurry.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

I believe Verizon has a duty to its customers to provide their phones with support and timely updates for at the very least 2 years from launch day. If you're going to have people on two year contracts you better support every phone (and support it well...not half assed like they do for almost everything except the iphone) for that whole time period. Obviously Verizon has other thoughts. This is why I am done with them and done with phones that aren't a nexus. I want updates without worrying about a carrier delaying and/or cancelling future updates.

Quote Originally Posted by viper31573 View Post
    i was just telling someone the other day how any pre paid plan ive ever had, has cost me more than a contract would have. been about 5 years since ive had a pre paid plan though
    Well, times have changed. Prepaid is better and with a phone like the Nexus 4, cost of the phone isn't going to kill you pocket.
    I choose Android...it's only logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacemaker24 View Post
    Why would VZW spend a bunch of money and time on ICS for T-bolt? I want ICS but I can see why VZW is in no hurry.
    There's no disputing the basic business sense. There is none. No sense at all in supporting a phone they no longer sell. BUT then they never should have made the commitment. Don't tell us ICS is coming and then drag your feet for so long and eventually say "oh well, not enough people using it anymore, why bother?"

You have to wonder if the loss in customers is worth it. Well, I guess I have that answer... it is. They get more new customers walking into a store off the street in a weekend then they'll ever lose in mishandling the support of the Thunderbolt.

Who? likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Straight Talk, which uses your choice of T-Mobile or AT&T towers, offers unlimited (*) talk, text, and data for $45 a month with no contract commitment.

(*) They don't really offer unlimited. Their limits are not well defined but seem to be somewhere around 2gb of data and some high number of texts and talk minutes.

That's really hard to beat with any postpaid plan.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X 2013 -> Moto X 2014
    Tablet: Nexus 7 2012

Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    There's no disputing the basic business sense. There is none. No sense at all in supporting a phone they no longer sell. BUT then they never should have made the commitment. Don't tell us ICS is coming and then drag your feet for so long and eventually say "oh well, not enough people using it anymore, why bother?"

You have to wonder if the loss in customers is worth it. Well, I guess I have that answer... it is. They get more new customers walking into a store off the street in a weekend then they'll ever lose in mishandling the support of the Thunderbolt.
    Announcing ICS, whether it originated via Verizon or HTC was more than likely based on customer demands (unrealistic ones IMO) and has subsequently set them up for blow back if they couldn't deliver, which appears to be exactly what is happening now. The leaked ICS ROM from a month or so back obviously has problems and is not ready for prime time. They may still be working on it or it could be that either HTC or Verizon are very close to or have killed it because testing has determined that it's not performing at an acceptable level (like the Desire HD) or that it's just not worth the costs involved any longer which could be the case for HTC considering their continuing financial troubles. So instead they're trying to focus their resources on newer products that actually make them money.

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Announcing ICS, whether it originated via Verizon or HTC was more than likely based on customer demands (unrealistic ones IMO) and has subsequently set them up for blow back if they couldn't deliver, which appears to be exactly what is happening now. The leaked ICS ROM from a month or so back obviously has problems and is not ready for prime time. They may still be working on it or it could be that either HTC or Verizon are very close to or have killed it because testing has determined that it's not performing at an acceptable level (like the Desire HD) or that it's just not worth the costs involved any longer which could be the case for HTC considering their continuing financial troubles. So instead they're trying to focus their resources on newer products that actually make them money.
    Yup, all makes sense. Sucks, but makes sense. So now as every minute passes and the whole thing gets dragged out even further there's even less impetus for them to come through. Now if this fabled Thanksgiving target cones and goes I'm all done even thinking about it.

And they aren't taking into account people who will forever swear off HTC due to this type of treatment. HTC can't afford to lose ANY customers right now. If they treated us TB owners right I probably would have bought another HTC phone. I hate Sense but I use a launcher and I do like their phones build quality and recently their superb screens. But none of that matters to me anymore. ICS updates for their phones are the LEAST they can do. I don't think it's an irrational demand to have our phones updated to an os that's already a version behind the current os not to mention they told US they were going to do it. Let's not forget that ICS has been around for over a god damn year. Let's be very generous and say it takes them 6 months to release the update from gb to ics. WE WOULD HAVE HAD IT IN APRIL! Even so I know this is a fantasy. GB was out for a few months when the TB was released yet it launched with froyo. So the first 4g phone would surely get the update quickly right? We got the GB update TEN MONTHS after it was first released. I guess in retrospect none of this is surprising since HTC has treated their former "flagship" phone and their customers like an afterthought right from release.

What excuse is there? Please let me know. If your response is something along the lines of "well your phone shouldn't be supported after x months" go screw. I hope all oems who take that stance suffer and lose money as the general public get wiser about the state of the android phone marketplace. I've made up my mind. As long as there is a nexus available that will be GUARANTEED timely updates and support for the natural life of the phone (2 years...anything more is a welcome bonus imo) that is the only phone I will be buying.

I'd highly suggest you read this, in particular the "Update anxiety" section:

Why you'll never have the latest version of Android | Android Central

An excerpt:

You buy a phone, you pay your $200, you commit to a 2-year contract with a service provider. It used to be that the manufacturers involvement in developing a device ended once it shipped. Instead, as smartphones have become more prevalent, theyre constantly evolving, even after release. New software updates arrive, adding features, changing up the look and feel, and enhancing performance months after purchase. Major updates could even move devices up to a new platform version.

As updates become more common, and consumers become more tech-savvy, theres an increasing awareness that devices can be updated, and an expectation that they should be updated. With that comes a sort of update anxiety. If youve dropped by any smartphone message board, such as our own forums or XDAs, youll know what we mean by this. Threads abound asking when ICS, or Jelly Bean, will be available for certain devices. In the event of delayed or even canceled updates, Internet denizens swear theyll never buy another phone from that manufacturer or carrier again. Its an entirely negative ownership experience.

While this isnt representative of the entire user base -- not by far -- its an example of how many power users experience Android smartphones. Theyre always behind the curve, always waiting on an update, never fully enjoying the product that theyve bought as theyve bought it. Part of that is the fault of the tech press -- were always focused on whats new, and that means talking about software that hasnt yet reached most folks.

I'm not going to have to deal with it anymore. I'm done with Verizon and not even considering a 2 year contract from anyone. It will be prepaid from the time my current contract expires. And I won't have to wait forever for an update that will never come since nexus phones are supported just as well, if not better, than iphones.

This point about anxiety would be valid if we were only waiting one or two months for updates. We waited 6 months for an update to an os that was already out 4 months before our device launched and now we've been waiting a year for an update that was said by HTC themselves to be released over two months ago. These are unreasonable amounts of time to go without phone updates (many of which contain important security updates). We're not even asking for the latest os. We're asking for one that's A YEAR OLD. Frankly I don't care what the carrier/oem excuse is. There is no valid excuse for their utter lack of interest in older customers who will soon be ex-customers. They can come up with excuses all day long. I'm done with it. Nexus or bust.

Even with the HTC droid DNA's monster specs, I will never own an HTC phone again. I don't really care who's fault this is, and at this point, I don't care if we ever get it. my upgrade is a horrible 8 months away, and I'm counting the minutes.
    ZachA likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by thundersome View Post
    There is no valid excuse for their utter lack of interest in older customers who will soon be ex-customers.
    Sure there is. I mean no offense, by the way. I have my T-Bolt for almost another year and comparing the user experience with my Nexus 7 is like fresh-picked oranges and an moldy apple with a worm in it that's been stomped on in a pile of fresh llama excrement. (I exaggerate, of course, my T-Bolt is still working OK for a first-generation 4G device, which is to say I can mostly rely on it not to kill me in my sleep as long as I sleep with one eye open).

Anyway, the point is, Verizon knows exactly what they are doing. They could have released an update to the T-Bolt months ago, I'm sure of it. The key is not that they don't care, it's that they simply WANT your Thunderbolt to look old and moldy and nasty and be full of security bugs and lacking features. Because most people will be calling Verizon right about now and begging for early upgrades and willingly paying premiums to sign up for a phone that will put them in the exact same position in 18 months. And they'll THANK Verizon for it.

Verizon is the US leader in coverage. Many have no choice but to stick with them. They also have a proprietary network that requires them to intervene in order to bring any phones to the network, so you pretty much have to buy phones from them. They have a vested interest in making sure those phones go obsolete as quickly as possible, so you'll be screaming to be forced back on to a 2-year contract in order to get the new shiny.

Many people will leave Verizon over this. Many, many, MANY more will buy a new phone and lock in for two years rather than sticking with their existing phones and going month-to-month.

Because only Verizon has coverage in a lot of places, and only Verizon will have LTE across the country in less than a year.

And guess what? Once Verizon has a full and complete footprint of LTE with less need for a CDMA fallback, they'll have adopted an industry standard protocol and can start using unlocked phones. Well ahead of when their competitors will have deployed even meaningful levels of coverage, much less complete coverage, on their LTE networks.

So then Verizon can start supporting unlocked LTE-only phones and be the only carrier with a 100% pure LTE network, with insane speeds everywhere their signal can be found. When the 2013 Nexus 4 comes out with LTE, Verizon will gladly accept it because they won't need to get involved in the firmware, and they'll be able to sell you a 4G-always-and-everywhere signal that no one else will be able to touch for at least a year or two.

In the meantime, they want you to buy a 2-year commitment NOW and give up your unlimited data, so when LTE goes nationwide for them and they can start accepting other people's phones, they won't have many people left who have stuck with their older phones and/or bought phones at retail to keep unlimited.

ROM
    Stock

My Thunderbolt died 3 weeks after I but the Bamf ICS on it, but it is a very worthwhile upgrade. I think It'd be one thing to lessen the update expectations if they still sold 1-year agreements, but two years nowadays is an eternity for an Android phone. If there is any mention of a future upgrade of the phones software as a sales tool in selling it, it should be fulfilled as promised to customers whether it's e.o.l or not. I'm sorry, but professional software engineers should be able to get it together faster than a bunch of hackers on a message board. No offense to the devs, they're brilliant.

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

I stopped caring about this update by the end of August. I was actually a little surprised that this phone would be considered for any kind of update, given that in the "android world", this phone is old. I don't understand though, why HTC or Verizon refuse to explain why it hasn't come..or if it even will. If its not gonna work right on the t-bolt, that's fine. Just tell me that. People are more angry with their silence than with actually getting the update or not. What do HTC or Verizon have to benefit from this kind of ignorance? I don't get it.
    johnriii likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ulmerj79 View Post
    professional software engineers should be able to get it together faster than a bunch of hackers on a message board. No offense to the devs, they're brilliant.
    THAT RIGHT THERE is one of the best points to be made. There is just no excuse. If you've got the C+ brains in IT on the project you're showing how much you really give a damn about it in the first place.

Software engineering teams work on whatever they are told to work on.

Software engineering teams work on whatever they are told to work on.

Exactly.

in 2 hrs and 20 min it will be thanksgiving week. is there an OTA in the next 5 days? i wont hold my breath

in 2 hrs and 20 min it will be thanksgiving week. is there an OTA in the next 5 days? i wont hold my breath
    No reputable sources have mentioned anything that would indicate ICS will hit any time soon.

No reputable sources have mentioned anything that would indicate ICS will hit any time soon.

rumors arent usually reputable.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by makeshift View Post
    I've actually been considering going back to a "regular" phone when my contract is up. I love the features and convenience of a smartphone, but not the battery life (which makes all the features and convenience, inconvenient). But Verizon has only 2 options- crap phones and smartphones.
    Razr Maxx HD

Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    Razr Maxx HD
    I considered the RAZR MAXX HD but my T- Bolt experience ended interest for now.
    I will never buy a smartphone on an old Operating System with the promise of updating "soon".
    The MAXX HD was launched with Ice Cream Sandwich even though Jelly Bean had been out for months.
    Vzw will usually update all of it's smartphones once over the 2 year contract and twice if you're lucky.
    I don't want to be sitting with the MAXX HD waiting for the Jelly Bean update 6 months after Key Lime Pie was launched and no real hope of getting Key Lime Pie.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock

If you want to keep an up to date OS on your phone, that means rooting, or nexus. Since Verizon doesn't play nice with nexus, you're looking at rooting or a GSM carrier like AT&T or T-Mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X 2013 -> Moto X 2014
    Tablet: Nexus 7 2012

Default Ice cream sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by MittenSportsFan View Post
    I considered the RAZR MAXX HD but my T- Bolt experience ended interest for now.
    I will never buy a smartphone on an old Operating System with the promise of updating "soon".
    The MAXX HD was launched with Ice Cream Sandwich even though Jelly Bean had been out for months.
    Vzw will usually update all of it's smartphones once over the 2 year contract and twice if you're lucky.
    I don't want to be sitting with the MAXX HD waiting for the Jelly Bean update 6 months after Key Lime Pie was launched and no real hope of getting Key Lime Pie.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    You missed the part where jelly bean was already complete for the HD, just going through testing. The Razr M, which launched at the same time, has already been upgraded.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast