Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By mightyfacundo
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By Wildside
  • 1 Post By Synycalwon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    drummerj80's Avatar

    Posts
    37 Posts
    ROM
    ICS Bamfed

    Default Droid or Apple?!

    I was hoping to post this to a general forum to get the most feedback, but since I own a TB, I'll leave it here and see what happens. I have a quandry that I'd like some feedback on. I'm up for an upgrade in November and I know that my wife is getting an iphone. She prefers the leave the phone as is route and for her line of work, the iphone will be better for her. The TB is my first droid and I love it. I've loved flashing roms and being able to have the phone that I want. My problem is that it seems companies will be cracking down on those of us who choose to root our phones. This is where I'm stuck. If I can't flash roms, mods, etc., then what is keeping me on droid other than my personal disdain for apple? Please leave me some feedback on what you would do if you had the chance to stay or switch. I'm going to assume that if droid will be trying to crack down on people who root, then I'm sure apple may eventually do the same for those who jailbreak.

    Still ticked about shared everything, but that is another problem in itself! I could always buy off contract, but never really thought about how to justify the phone cost versus a 2 year agreement. If anyone has a breakdown of why buy off contract, please let me know!

    Thanks Android Central!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    So u have devices both from apple and Droid get back I would like to help if I can

    Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    Just get a developers phone from Moto...if you like their phones.
    I didnt choose Android to root it. I chose Android due to its unique features that sets it apart from iOS.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    drummerj80's Avatar

    Posts
    37 Posts
    ROM
    ICS Bamfed

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    My wife and I both have TBolts. She will be getting the iphone 5. Me, I'm waiting to see what HTC comes out with here pretty soon. Sounds like a beast!
  5. #5  
    Mikey D_PhD's Avatar

    Posts
    201 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    My wife and I use Android (me - TB, wife - Dinc 2). My parents have iPhones, so I've played with them and helped them get set up. While I am not rooted, I do enjoy the customization of Android (i.e. custom launchers like Go Launcher, etc). It really depends on personal preference. My parents love their iPhones and would be lost on my TB. Since the iPhone 5 has a bigger screen than previously, that might be a factor, but for me, the ability to choose my phone manufacturer and specs is the clincher. Maybe I want a medium spec phone with expandable storage? No go with Apple. Or maybe I want a high end beast with a 5.5 inch screen. It all comes down to personal preference. In reality, the phones and applications can accomplish the same tasks, albeit with a few different screen touches here and there.

    So...to make a long story short, I'm sticking with Android.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerj80 View Post
    My wife and I both have TBolts. She will be getting the iphone 5. Me, I'm waiting to see what HTC comes out with here pretty soon. Sounds like a beast!
    Yeah, my girl is getting her IP5 tomorrow. I think the hardware for the IP5 looks great but i dont care for iOS. But everyone has their preferences.
    I am just waiting for the next Nexus device so i am just waiting to see whassup.
  7. #7  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    First, define the "companies" that will start "cracking down" on rooted phones. Are you referring to corporations not wanting their employees to use rooted Androids, or the manufacturers, or telephone companies? The first is a valid concern from your corporation, the second and third just mean that you have to wait a few weeks for folks to crack the bootloader, no biggie.

    Personally, I'd stick with the Android... unless you want to interact with your wife using Facetime or something Apple-locked, or the clearer (albeit smaller) Retina display are important to you, or you have some other compelling reason to be attracted to the Apple universe.

    A lot of features that require "jailbreaking" an iPhone are features that you already have in Android (changing keyboards, custom launchers, installing from places other than the sanctioned app store, etc) with no need for rooting or ROM-ing.

    But the best thing for you to do is get thee to the Verizon store and check out the options in person. You might find that moving to the smaller screen on the iPhone5 makes the phone more portable and you like that. You might find that you like some feature in iOS6. You might also find that there's some Apple-to-Apple-only feature that you want to adopt because your wife is doing Apple. Or you might fall in love with the features of one of the many current Android phones and go for that. You can always use a cross-platform video chat like Skype, and your phones might not interact with each other as smoothly as you'd like all the time, but how often do they really need to?

    It's all good.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerj80 View Post
    My problem is that it seems companies will be cracking down on those of us who choose to root our phones. This is where I'm stuck. If I can't flash roms, mods, etc., then what is keeping me on droid other than my personal disdain for apple? Please leave me some feedback on what you would do if you had the chance to stay or switch. I'm going to assume that if droid will be trying to crack down on people who root, then I'm sure apple may eventually do the same for those who jailbreak.

    Still ticked about shared everything, but that is another problem in itself! I could always buy off contract, but never really thought about how to justify the phone cost versus a 2 year agreement. If anyone has a breakdown of why buy off contract, please let me know!

    Thanks Android Central!

    Here are my reasons for sticking with Android over Apple:

    1. Apple is INCREDIBLE at marketing. They realize that most people don't pay attention to smartphone technology the way we (people here at AC and other like sites) do. And they exploit this gap. They convince people that the iPhone is pretty much the only smartphone that can perform basic tasks, tasks our Bolts have done for a year and a half, and that the iPhone experience is so elegant that no other phone comes close. And it obviously works for them. However, this is one of the things I hate about Apple. I understand they're trying to move as many units as they can and maximize profits, but it doesn't change the fact that I feel like they are preying on consumers' ignorance, which really gets under my skin. I have a good friend who is very computer savvy and immersed in the Apple ecosystem. We were talking about the iPhone 5, and I told him that 4G was a big jump for this version, and he said to me, "It's not that big a deal. I get 4G on my 4s and I can't even notice an increase in data speeds. I'm still gonna get the 5; that thing looks sweet. When are you gonna step up and get a real smartphone?" I then went on to explain that he didn't have 4G and that AT&T doesn't even offer 4G in his area. He argued with me and said I had no idea what I was talking about. Him insisting I'm wrong doesn't bother me as much as Apple's willingness to brainwash people, and I don't want any part of it. Rant over.

    2. Choice. Android is all about choice. If I want to root, I can. Put a widget on the homescreen? No problem. Change the keyboard to Swiftkey? Sure. Install a Launcher to replace Sense/Touchwiz/Blur? It's my call. Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Razr Maxx HD, HTC One X+? It depends which one fits MY needs the best. Android gives me choices that Apple will never give. Choice makes my choice easy.

    3. Innovation/Technology. I'm not here to bash the iPhone. It's a great phone for many people, but when was the last time they actually innovated anything? (I don't count Siri since they bought the company and just included it in their OS). Everything the new iPhone can do, our Bolt can do and it's an old phone. We've had notifications forever, our cameras can do panorama shots with the help of apps like Pano, and we know the power of 4G. New android phones like the S3 have implemented new features that are changing our smartphone experience. We can argue whether those changes are kitchy or integral to our lives, but at least they are new and innovative and will lead to more advances in the future. I have embraced technology and prefer to be on the cutting edge.

    4. Lawsuits. Apple has really turned me off with their startegy to sue other companies rather than improve their product. Sueing over a rectangular form factor with rounded corners? Seriously?!? That reeks of desperation and is just sad.

    5. Developer Community. I know that Service Providers frown on rooting, but whatever. The Bolt has had an outstanding Dev community, and they breathe new life into this phone for those of us willing to root. Regardless of them trying to crack down on this practice, it will keep happening, especially if your next phone is a Nexus or equally popular developer version (as someone already mentioned).


    So, those are my main reasons, but there are many more. Android is the phone for me. IPhone might be the choice for someone else. No one is right or wrong on this issue. It just comes down to what works for you. Good luck with your decision.
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    The att 4s has HSPA + which att considers 4g,but apple's website does not. Next time, just clarify saying that the 4s does not have 4glte. No argument there.
    Vlosaloty likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The att 4s has HSPA + which att considers 4g,but apple's website does not. Next time, just clarify saying that the 4s does not have 4glte. No argument there.
    I actually tried explaining that to him, but I think he just checked out when I started getting technical on him.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    Quote Originally Posted by mightyfacundo View Post
    I actually tried explaining that to him, but I think he just checked out when I started getting technical on him.
    if he doesn't understand the basic concept of hspa+ vs lte, then perhaps he isn't as tech savy as you say. The iPhone is a great phone for what it is, it is somewhat bland and has more limitations than android, but so long as you are willing to work within their walled garden, then everything is rosy. Try to go outside their walled garden, however, and you will hit a rose bush. with that said, for most non-tech people, recommending iPhone is a good option, it usually will have less issues than android. sure there are some good androids out there, but there are plenty of not so good ones. whereas iPhone, everything just runs well and the 5 has a battery life very close to that of the droid razr maxx.

    Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    drummerj80's Avatar

    Posts
    37 Posts
    ROM
    ICS Bamfed

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    I thought I read where companies like Verizon or maybe even some of the phone manufacturers were going to possibly finagle something in the phones to let claims departments know if the phone has ever been rooted. I've never had a claim, but if I did, I'd like to be able to unroot and get the phone taken care of. I know the locked bootloader is a big deal, but someone will always break it. The lawsuits are one of my biggest turn offs as well. For me, the dev community for android is head & shoulders amazing. I usually put something out there and within a few hours have 5-20 responses! What a few of these responses have in common is the fact that you can always customize your experience, which I've learned over the past year and a half. Not so, nor will it ever be with apple. Thanks everyone for the responses, guess I'll have to stick with my gut and stay with Droid Nation!!
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    if he doesn't understand the basic concept of hspa+ vs lte, then perhaps he isn't as tech savy as you say.
    You're probably right. I'm giving him way too much credit!
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    moto has incorporated a root checker into the razr & d4.




    Quote Originally Posted by drummerj80 View Post
    I thought I read where companies like Verizon or maybe even some of the phone manufacturers were going to possibly finagle something in the phones to let claims departments know if the phone has ever been rooted. I've never had a claim, but if I did, I'd like to be able to unroot and get the phone taken care of. I know the locked bootloader is a big deal, but someone will always break it. The lawsuits are one of my biggest turn offs as well. For me, the dev community for android is head & shoulders amazing. I usually put something out there and within a few hours have 5-20 responses! What a few of these responses have in common is the fact that you can always customize your experience, which I've learned over the past year and a half. Not so, nor will it ever be with apple. Thanks everyone for the responses, guess I'll have to stick with my gut and stay with Droid Nation!!
  15. #15  
    Wildside's Avatar

    Posts
    113 Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.10

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    Buying off contract puts you in control of your wireless plan. By not purchasing a subsidized phone you have choices (limited because CDMA is not as transferable to other carriers as GSM). I should have bought my wife's iPhone 5 off contract. I'm losing unlimited data because she used my upgrade to buy the iPhone. The iPhone cost right around $350 subsidized ($299 for 32GB iPhone, $30 upgrade fee plus tax). I would be in a better position for my personal phone (TB w/ unlimited data) had I paid full retail for her phone. VZW would not let me transfer the upgrade to her line - we had to buy the phone under my line and will activate it on hers (their way of forcing me off unlimited data).

    Buy off contract if you can afford it.
    Synycalwon likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Droid or Apple?!

    These aren't the Droids you're looking for.... I feel compelled to correct referring to Android as "Droid". Remember, Droid is just a marketing term Verizon licensed from Lucasfilms (aka Star Wars) and Android is the operating system platform. Not all Android phones are Droid branded.
    Thanked by:
    jackmei2 likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Droid or Pre?
    By varucell in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 09:53 AM
  2. Droid or wait for ?????????????
    By Jon1029 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-14-2009, 01:21 AM
  3. Keep Droid... Or?
    By mskaplan in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-01-2009, 03:57 PM
  4. Droid or Droid Eris? How did you make your decision?
    By mrdonbonjovi in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 10:08 PM
  5. Droid or Passion or Eris or Calgary or Predator???
    By kingohearts2005 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 02:14 PM

Posting Permissions

B