I want a new phone but...

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I am fairly stuck on the GS3 as is most everyone else. Not that my tbolt doesn't work well but I can feel it slowing down as does any other electronic device over time. My screen is also cracked but nothing thay effects the function and viewing of it.

My question is this...should I buy the GS3 or will there be another phone more awesome that it in the next 2-3 months? I buy off contract either way to keep unlimited data. I like huge screens, smooth 4g/3g handoffs, and snappy processors all of which the s3 has. Just looking for your thoughts here. Thanks all!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The Galaxy Note 2 is rumored to be coming in the next month or so. Maybe you should wait for that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ShawnMeds23

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Purchased a Galaxy Nexus for $175 on craigslist. Was in near mint condition and came with an extra battery. Kid purchased Iphone 5. This phone has so much better battery life than my thunderbolt. It is night and day. With my thunderbolt I was falling off 4g all the time. Very happy to have the Galaxy Nexus. Curious to see what the next Nexus has, but I'll rock this thing for a long while.

bailman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Man I sure wish my experience with the nexus was like yours. I bought a brand new nexus from someone on craigslist fir a very good price. I went to VZW and activated it, it wouldn't hold a signal. It was not useable. They tried 4 Sim cards and multiple hard resets. Nothing worked so the guy gave me my money back. I really want another, I'm just a little gun shy.

ShawnMeds23

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
wow. I was having the exact same problems with my thunderbolt. This nexus has been great. Got Jelly Bean today. Feel almost bad for pretty much skipping ICS. I used the ICS rom on the thunderbolt for a few weeks but it wasn't very good.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I went in and checked out an S3 today. It's pretty sweet. I think i'm going to jump on it. Have an upgrade on one of my 4 lines in 3 days.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Galaxy Note 2 is rumored to be coming in the next month or so. Maybe you should wait for that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

That's what I was leaning towards actually but I'm not sure if the s-pen is going to be something that's a little too gimmicky or not. Plus, even though I like big screens, I wonder if the 5.5" will just be too big. And obviously, I would love it if a phone came out that wasn't the Razr Maxx but had the same battery life without having to buy a monsterous extended battery.

I use my phone heavily for work too and have customers sign their name for credit cards with their finger tip so maybe the s-pen will actually be worth it.

The questions I have is will the Note 2 be available on Verizon and is it more of a tablet or a phone? Or more like both I guess it would be.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My rooted tbolt is so perfect for me that it makes no sense for me to switch. I'm tempted by the moto hi def if it has th extended battery built in....but really....what will it do that my rooted bolt won't do? Google now doesn't interest me. Chrome is nice but I already have all my bookmarks in the bolt and ics on bolt gets chrome anyway. My screen hasn't got a mark on it and my bolt is smooth, fast, and data is spot on. I mean hd sounds nice but I seldom watch video on my phone....and the bolt has a great camera. Of course I'm rooted or very little of above would be true.

I'm not a fanboy. I've been critical of the bolt in the past. It's just everything runs as I like now.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
My rooted tbolt is so perfect for me that it makes no sense for me to switch. I'm tempted by the moto hi def if it has th extended battery built in....but really....what will it do that my rooted bolt won't do? Google now doesn't interest me. Chrome is nice but I already have all my bookmarks in the bolt and ics on bolt gets chrome anyway. My screen hasn't got a mark on it and my bolt is smooth, fast, and data is spot on. I mean hd sounds nice but I seldom watch video on my phone....and the bolt has a great camera. Of course I'm rooted or very little of above would be true.

I'm not a fanboy. I've been critical of the bolt in the past. It's just everything runs as I like now.

Similar sentiments here, although rooted on older stock software (2.11.605.9 from Dec. 11) to lock in functionality that was removed in later software (due to Apple, see How to restore the functionality the Apple v HTC war has taken away [root] | Android Central). Otherwise, everything is set exactly how I want and the phone works great, does everything I need. So no desire to make a change. I'll just continue to rock it out and hope for a Thunderbolt 2 down the road! :p

As to Google Now or Chrome, no interest. In fact on my Nexus 7 I disabled both. Instead rooted and loaded the stock Android browser and side loaded Flash player to use with it (set to on demand); IMO it runs circles around Chrome performance wise and has better bookmark management (I have no use for Chrome's sync feature as I don't use Chrome on my PC's). Also, I find Google Now creepy in that it needs me to enable location and web history in order to work. I always leave those disabled for privacy reasons (Google knows enough about me as it is). Also I find it more effective anyway to use apps or visit specific web sites to find needed info. Finally, I had to disable Google Search/Now to get rid of the search widget on every screen and get screen real estate back, also to disable the swipe up from the home button functionality that would launch Google Now too easily while swiping to scroll. These things have given me a renewed appreciation for older software (newer is not always better IMO) as well as features built into Sense 2.1 we have on our Thunderbolts. Anyway, my two cents (or more). :)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes I agree. I prefer aosp to sense because I like the lack of lag and custom auto screen brightness settings but I did notice Nusense ics has no lag except immediately after a reboot.
I believe I.dialed a.phone number from the browser in nusense too but that functionality is one I thought was lost in the law suit?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I believe I.dialed a.phone number from the browser in nusense too but that functionality is one I thought was lost in the law suit?

It was, it's one of the hyperlink functions that were taken away in the last official stock software version 2.11.605.19. Personally, I think that's the main reason for that newer software version, to comply with the lawsuit. Anyway, on the older 2.11.605.9 software, I can confirm the ability is there to dial a phone number off a web page in the stock browser. (flipping Apple the bird!) :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781