Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    What are you guys going to do??
    To live and die in L.A.
  2. #2  
    Mikey D_PhD's Avatar

    Posts
    201 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    I've been eligible for an upgrade since June. My TB is working fine with Go Launcher EX. I'm going to wait and see what the next Nexus Device is (and see if Verizon gets it) and go from there. I'm not in a hurry, since I (thankfully) have not had the issues that others are reporting with their TBs.
    "He didn't fall? Inconceivable".
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means".
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey D_PhD View Post
    I've been eligible for an upgrade since June. My TB is working fine with Go Launcher EX. I'm going to wait and see what the next Nexus Device is (and see if Verizon gets it) and go from there. I'm not in a hurry, since I (thankfully) have not had the issues that others are reporting with their TBs.
    Same here. I think the S3 is an awesome phone, but I can even see waiting for the S4 if Verizon doesn't get a Nexus (or the Nexus doesn't impress me).



    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,605 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Wait. If Verizon has the next awesomeness in November and you end up not liking it, the S3 is gonna be cheaper.

    Just keep an eye out for Apple lawsuits if an injunction on a phone you like looks likely.
    ToddL likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    I'm happy with my thunderbolt. I'm keeping it

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    Synycalwon likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by viper31573 View Post
    I'm happy with my thunderbolt. I'm keeping it
    Same here, it's like an old comfortable glove; still works great and despite newer stuff out there, nothing compelling enough to make a change. Truthfully though, having a new toy in the Nexus 7 probably helps, although at the same time makes me appreciate the Thunderbolt as it works great tethering the Nexus to it. Also being my first full exposure to vanilla Android; a renewed appreciation for HTC Sense!
    mightyfacundo likes this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Especially now that I have a very stable ics Rom

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    I am due at the end of Nov. Looks like some interesting new stuff coming out by then so glad I have to wait!
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    I'm due at the beginning of December. Probably going with something other than HTC, but I doubt it'll be the SG3 either.
  10. #10  
    dmmarck's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    10,930 Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Wait. I'm sure we'll know about the next Nexii by then .
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Since the tbolt, i have gotten the rezound, razr, razr maxx, and gs3. Gs3 is the best by far unless you need battery life, which is not bad, but isn't as good as the maxx.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly818 View Post
    What are you guys going to do??
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Here are my battery stats from my first day with my S3. After just one day of testing, I would say that the S3 with 4G on is slightly worse battery wise than my Thunderbolt was with 3G only. Not quite as awesome as I was hoping but we'll see how it goes over the next couple days. Not sure if this'll influence your upgrade decision.

    Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?-screenshot_2012-09-25-19-42-24.png
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    Here are my battery stats from my first day with my S3. After just one day of testing, I would say that the S3 with 4G on is slightly worse battery wise than my Thunderbolt was with 3G only. Not quite as awesome as I was hoping but we'll see how it goes over the next couple days. Not sure if this'll influence your upgrade decision.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2012-09-25-19-42-24.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	159.5 KB 
ID:	38606
    What do you think of it so far? Is it all kinds of awesomeness?
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    The only problem I have with my tbolt is battery



    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    That's my extended battery. I used up over 70% of my reg battery in about same time today

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Loving my GS3. I'd have to say that HTC builds the most quality phone as far as "in hand feel" but Samsung packs in the features I love. But I wish they were available with the vanilla experience. I can't stand sense or touchwiz. Makes me miss my Google Nexus from back in the day. All in all, my GS3 is by far my favorite phone though.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    It's pretty awesome. I'm just hoping the battery gets better. Notice in my battery stat picture that cell standby was the highest user, that is because signal is a bit weaker than my Thunderbolt's was.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by pete1118 View Post
    I am due at the end of Nov. Looks like some interesting new stuff coming out by then so glad I have to wait!


    Like.......
    To live and die in L.A.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    yup, wait unless your bolt is toast.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    I switched a month ago to the SGS3 and I'm loving it. much faster than the old tbolt and I can actually go a day without having to be connected to the charger or carry around my spare batteries. I was always on 4G with my tbolt and same with my sgs3. altho I have noticed the signal doesn't seem quite as strong, but at least it doesn't have trouble switching between 3G and 4G like the tbolt did.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    I’ve had the TB since launch date. If you remember it was one of the latest greatest in the market place. Nothing else was close. Most people were waiting for the TB or the Bionic. Let’s be realistic nothing lately has set the world on fire to beat it. I mean really…faster...battery life…etc. These don’t set the world on fire. So you got on the web page a milla second faster or a text your BFF in a lightning flash. Nothing really new here, sorry. I am waiting until something really spectacular comes out. By the way your 1 year old car is out dated too, are you buying a new car? Hell no, next truck has to be really sweet!!
    viper31573 likes this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    comparing a smartphone to a car is comparing apples to oranges. let's face it, we got the tbolt cuz it was much faster than anything else before it. just as right now we're looking at a SGS3 because it's much faster than the tbolt. you're right, nothing coming out is THAT amazing where you need to upgrade, probably why I stuck with my tbolt as long as I did, but try out an SGS3 and you'll see a huge difference.

    my tbolt kept dropping data signal so it was no longer performing its intended job, so I needed (ok maybe not needed per say, smartphones aren't a necessity) to get a new phone and I went with the SGS3. so I guess it depends on your circumstances.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    I'm waiting for the Note II, unless all of the rumored specs of the DIx are completely wrong and it will have expandable memory and better RAM.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bakerboy2253 View Post
    I’ve had the TB since launch date. If you remember it was one of the latest greatest in the market place. Nothing else was close. Most people were waiting for the TB or the Bionic. Let’s be realistic nothing lately has set the world on fire to beat it. I mean really…faster...battery life…etc. These don’t set the world on fire. So you got on the web page a milla second faster or a text your BFF in a lightning flash. Nothing really new here, sorry. I am waiting until something really spectacular comes out. By the way your 1 year old car is out dated too, are you buying a new car? Hell no, next truck has to be really sweet!!
    A one year old car can still be current gen. Cars typically change generations every 3-5 years. In terms of android smartphones, the TB is using a 2010 CPU, and there have been 2 generation updates since it came out. So really, a TBolt would be equivalent to a 6-10 year old car. Is it usable? Just like a 6-10 year old car, absolultely. But is it the latest and greatest? No. If you are waiting for a car/truck with a lot more more equivalent improvement as from a tbolt to a gs3, then you will be waiting a long time.

    The GS3 is over 30% thinner than the TBolt
    The GS3 is over 20% lighter than the TBolt
    The GS3 has 240% the pixels of the TBolt
    The GS3 has about a 20% larger screen
    The battery life on the GS3 is probably 1.5-2x as good as the Tbolt, based on my usage.
    I have never seen 30mbps on my TBolt, on my GS3, i have seen over 60mbps several times.
    The GS3 radio drops way less frequently than the TBolt, in my experience. Almost as good as my Razr Maxx.
    The GS3 doesn't have random shut downs and restarts as all 4 of my Tbolts had (2 new, 2 clnr)
    The GS3 is substantially faster in my usage, almost no lag opening apps.



    Whether or not these changes are worth it is up to the individual person. But waiting for a phone to blow you away way a lot more than the GS3...you will be waiting quite some time. Which is fine, btw, if you are happy with what you have, why spend more money?


    Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Should I wait until Nov. to upgrade or should I go for the SG3 now?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The GS3 is over 30% thinner than the TBolt
    The GS3 is over 20% lighter than the TBolt
    The GS3 has 240% the pixels of the TBolt
    The GS3 has about a 20% larger screen
    The battery life on the GS3 is probably 1.5-2x as good as the Tbolt, based on my usage.
    I have never seen 30mbps on my TBolt, on my GS3, i have seen over 60mbps several times.
    The GS3 radio drops way less frequently than the TBolt, in my experience. Almost as good as my Razr Maxx.
    The GS3 doesn't have random shut downs and restarts as all 4 of my Tbolts had (2 new, 2 clnr)
    The GS3 is substantially faster in my usage, almost no lag opening apps.

    Whether or not these changes are worth it is up to the individual person. But waiting for a phone to blow you away way a lot more than the GS3...you will be waiting quite some time. Which is fine, btw, if you are happy with what you have, why spend more money?
    Wow, over 60mbps? You must be near a lightly used tower with some heavy duty backhaul! The best I've ever seen was around 40 on a known lightly loaded tower in a sparsely populated area back when LTE was first turned up. Granted newer radios are going to be more efficient, but I wouldn't think they'd give you all that much more speed on a loaded tower. Anyway, good breakdown on how the Galaxy S3 compares to the Thunderbolt. Although I have to say the last random shutdown/reboot I've ever had was back on the MR1 software in early summer of 2011. Subsequent software updates eliminated those for me and I've been very happy with battery life since getting Gingerbread; with light to moderate use I average 24-35 hours on the standard battery (40-45 on the Rezound 1620mAh battery), half that with very heavy use. Also, some of those come down to personal preference like the thinner and lighter. Myself, I like the thickness (with the standard battery) and weight of the Thunderbolt. It feels solid and substantial in hand. In fact so much so, I could probably smash a Galaxy S3 to pieces while maintaining a phone call with nary a scratch on the Thunderbolt. LOL Seriously, I agree the Galaxy S3 definitely has some great appeal. It is the best phone out currently. But, I've played with one and the physical home button kills it for me as well as TouchWiz. I know you could put a third party launcher over it or root and load a custom ROM, but that just doesn't cut it for me. I'm content to wait and see what is coming in the next six months, especially since my Thunderbolt is still working so well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. To upgrade or not?
    By TJH132 in forum ASUS EeePad Transformer
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 09:42 AM
  2. to upgrade or not from bionic?
    By pnico in forum Droid RAZR
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2011, 03:38 PM
  3. Should I Switch From Blackberry to Android or iPhone?
    By shopinchic83 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 11:38 AM
  4. To upgrade or not to upgrade?
    By posterboy7596 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 04:13 PM
  5. to upgrade or not?
    By The Jester in forum AT&T Captivate
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Posting Permissions

B