1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Coffee + phone = Insurance question.

Hi all, I have an insurance question.

I inherited a TB a month ago. (My first smartphone.) I know this is probably shocking news to some of you, but these phones don't seem to like being dunked in warm coffee. Weird, isn't it? :-)

Well, I dried it out in rice for a few days and reset it and the phone is actually still working. It seems to be a bit slower though and I've had a few apps forced-shut down, so I don't know how long it's going to last. I'm probably going to make an insurance claim before it dies, but I was wondering what kind of replacement phone I should expect & how long it typically takes. Is it always a TB refurb or can they send you other models? And I'm assuming when they send you a replacement, you then have to ship them back the damaged phone? Any info that might make the process of filing the claim easier would be appreciated!

And yes, this time I will immediately back up all my apps...
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Default Re: Coffee + phone = Insurance question.

Depends on whether or not they still have inventory available.. Once the phone reaches its shelf life they'll normally replace it with something newer for you (I'm not sure though, you would have to call or maybe someone else here has experience with a recent replacement)

The phone they send you will be refurbished if it's a Thunderbolt... They normally will overnight you the replacement phone free of charge/shipping in which you then have either a week, possibly two weeks (can't remeber) to send back the old phone.

The process is pretty straight forward.. Call Verizon 611 from your phone and tell them what happened and that you would like to file a claim through the insurance.. The claim will be put in with Asurion (insurance company) and they will send you a replacement phone along with info on sending back the damaged phone.. Once you receive the replacement phone, you then have a week (maybe two) to ship back the damaged phone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you for your reply Cyber Warrior. I wanted to at least get a little info on the process before starting it. I just made the claim and they told me the replacement is simply dictated by what they have in stock. I guess I'll find out what it is on the 15th . And it was a relatively painless process :-)

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

According to a Verizon rep I talked with when my wife had problems with her TB last week, the replacement phone if a TB isn't available is a Rezound.