1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default It's Contract Time Again, What Phone Should I Go With?

I loved the T'Bolt since day 1. Had probably 5-6 different ROMs on it after the first 6 months. Never really any issues other than the battery sucking but it's been a great phone.

Anyhow, my contract is up in Nov and my choice are obviously the iPhone 5, Galaxy S3 & the Galaxy Note 2 (coming soon). Which one would you go with and why?
    I put the S3 and iPhone in the same box with the Galaxy Note by itself since it's... the size of a box by itself! Not sure if I'm going to love or hate the size but the specs look awesome. Besides those 3, are there any other phones coming out I should wait for in the month of Nov?

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: It's Contract Time Again, What Phone Should I Go With?

Look at the time of year. The holidays are coming, and phone companies love to announce all their new phones just in time to shove them under yonder Yule Log. Then, of course, after the festivities are over, there are returns and refurbs galore as people decide that what they unwrapped and what they wanted weren't really the same thing.

Personally, I'd hang on to the Thunderbolt, if you can manage it, until at least late November and see what the seasonal buzz brings.

If I had to jump on something available right now, it'd be an S3 hands-down. By all accounts it's a BEAST.

Screen-size wise, though, they are all in different classes. The "larger" iPhone 5 is still only a 4.0" screen, the S3 is .8 inches larger at 4.8, and the Note II is .7 inches larger than that at 5.5". So, strictly speaking, the S3 is actually a little closer to the size of the Note II than the iPhone. Samsung also has a recently-announced S3 "Mini" that has the same screen size as the iPhone if a 4.8" screen seems too big for you.

The only way to find out what screen size works, and what phone is nicest, is to get thee to a local retail store and start fondling them in person. For me with my big meaty paws, a larger screen is almost always better (my Nexus 7 is just a teensy bit too big for me to operate one-handed, so I'm thinking a Note II would be the perfect fit). For you? You gotta get your paws on a few and see what floats your boat.

I'm about a year past an upgrade (not that I'd use it anyway as I plan to pay full retail to keep unlimited data) and still holding out hope for a true Thunderbolt successor (not ready to give up the native kickstand ). I know, probably not going to happen, but one can wish.

But if I had to pick a new phone soon, it would come down to either the Galaxy S3 or most likely the Note 2 (love the screen size), although truthfully it would be a bit of a struggle to get used to the physical home button or the Touch Wiz interface, neither of which I’m a fan of. Also, after my experience with the Nexus 7 and vanilla Jelly Bean, I'd have to give serious consideration to the next Nexus device, although with much reservation so far based on the reported specs on the LG hardware; non user-replaceable battery, limited storage (8-16GB), not to mention the device overall looks quite ugly IMO, especially the glass type back. Hopefully these aren’t the final specs or there will be other Nexus devices. How about a Nexus device with a native kickstand (and user replaceable battery)? Now that’d be killer!

Anyway, unless you’re in need of a phone now, I’d wait and see what’s coming in the next few months. Should be some good stuff . :::crossing fingers:::

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

I'll be watching this thread closely since I'm due for an upgrade in December. My husband recently switched from an Iphone 4 to the S3 and loves it. He does say the battery doesn't last as long (has to charge it every night, poor guy!), but he doesn't use his phone nearly as much as I do. I don't talk on it much, but I text, read, surf, etc all day long, mostly on home wifi. I've gotten to play with my husband's S3 and teach him all about Droids. It's a wicked fast beast....but the size concerns me. I ride horses and need something durable, that can withstand occasionally being dropped in sand or dirt (haven't had a horse step on one yet, luckily). The TB and the case I've had on it. (seidio case, Zagg screen protector) have held up so far. I've looked at the Note, but it seems WAY too big for me. Even the TB is barely able to fit into a pocket if I need to drop it in there.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Also, after my experience with the Nexus 7 and vanilla Jelly Bean, I'd have to give serious consideration to the next Nexus device, although with much reservation so far based on the reported specs on the LG hardware
    I'm with you - I want want WANT Nexus after my experience with the Nexus Seven, but the current crop of Nexus phones are just "meh" compared to the S3 and Note II. Still, if I wasn't locked in to my Bolt for another year, I'd probably go for one of those two, load up Apex to hide most of the non-stock experience, and accept that a year from now I'll be reading "WHEN I CN HAZ TEH KEY LIME PIEZ?!?!?!!" threads on the phone's forum.

But ICS is just around the corner for Thunderbolt, and it's gonna be a whole new phone that will keep me happy for a year, right?

Right?

Hello?

(crickets)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    But ICS is just around the corner for Thunderbolt, and it's gonna be a whole new phone that will keep me happy for a year, right?

Right?

Hello?

(crickets)
    I'm kinds of happy with my T'Bolt on root. Does everything I need and honestly there is no real reason to upgrade other than wanting the latest/greatest. If I decide to go month to month will I be retaining my unlimited data? How does that work? I use about 4GB /month

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DirtMcGirt View Post
    I'm kinds of happy with my T'Bolt on root. Does everything I need and honestly there is no real reason to upgrade other than wanting the latest/greatest. If I decide to go month to month will I be retaining my unlimited data? How does that work? I use about 4GB /month
    Yes. Just let your contract lapse and keep paying your bill on time and you'll revert to a contractless month-to-month plan. Verizon will probably call and bug the snot out of you trying to tempt you with a new shiny and the accompanying subsidy to get you off unlimited. Then again, if you are only using 4GB, they're probably happy enough having you pay for unlimited that they won't push you too hard. If you were one of the 14GB a month users, it might get more interesting.

Keep in mind that since you are not on a contract, Verizon can change the terms of service whenever they feel like it, so they can (if they choose) take unlimited data away. I haven't heard anything about them actually doing this, but they could if they wanted to. In return, you are not beholden to them in a contract on your end - your only obligation is to pay your bill on time and their only obligation is to fulfill whatever service you paid for.

But there's really no risk to you in just keeping your trusty old Thunderbolt around and keeping unlimited data as long as you can. If and when they discontinue unlimited, you can tell them to stuff it, sell your Thunderbolt, and buy something like StraightTalk or another contractless plan if you choose to.

Or you can easily threaten to and see what Big Red offers you. Maybe a free shiny new phone and a 6G or 8GB plan at an affordable price to keep you around for a couple more years.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

If your contract is up....... Get a Nexus from the Play store when the announce and go through prepaid route.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DirtMcGirt View Post
    You will retain unlimited data until you upgrade on subsidized 2 year contract.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    If your contract is up....... Get a Nexus from the Play store when the announce and go through prepaid route.
    Note that there's a small element of risk - if Verizon decides to discontinue Unlimited Data, they are free to do so since they are not obligated by a contract.

On the other hand, the worst case is that you're forced into a metered plan on a highly-resaleable unlocked Nexus phone where you'll have the latest OS for at least a couple of years... Plus I think a lot of prepaid guys like Trac and Net10 use CDMA so you might be able to get a month-to-month plan from one of them.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Personally I'm done with Verizon. The bills are just too high and I live in NYC so TMobile is covered just as well if not better. They also have the cheapest mvno plans or direct prepaid from them.

Unlocked Nexus gsm is the way.

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    Note that there's a small element of risk - if Verizon decides to discontinue Unlimited Data, they are free to do so since they are not obligated by a contract.

On the other hand, the worst case is that you're forced into a metered plan on a highly-resaleable unlocked Nexus phone where you'll have the latest OS for at least a couple of years... Plus I think a lot of prepaid guys like Trac and Net10 use CDMA so you might be able to get a month-to-month plan from one of them.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by evperry View Post
    Personally I'm done with Verizon. The bills are just too high and I live in NYC so TMobile is covered just as well if not better. They also have the cheapest mvno plans or direct prepaid from them.
    That works great in the city. Here in the sticks, it's basically Verizon or AT&T, and which one you prefer generally is based on which one doesn't have a dead spot at your house.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

Yeah I know. Rural areas are not good with TMobile. Their business model to get as many people per square mile. It makes sense because it is fantastic in major metro areas. At&t in NYC is awful by the way. And I mean awful. Too many iphones I think.

my contract is due for an upgrade in November but i get 20% discount thru my work so it's hard to leave verizon. I would love to root but i'm afraid i might mess up the cell, so i'll just wait.