Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shygar
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Default with so many things turned off, its almost not a smartphone.

In an attempt to save battery I turned off... auto-sync, LTe, use wi-fi when I can, got the Rezound battery, only have links to websites instead of apps that sync, turned off syncing Google calanders and contacts, no downloaded music, no downloaded themes or keyboards, turned off gps, vibration, and animations. When not in use, the battery can last all day with just a very slight decline, with percentages remaining in the 90's and high 80's. But the second I make a call or browse the web, battery steeply drops. Before long, its in 50-40%. Just wondering if I need to calibrate the battery and is this normal behaviour..as I'm hardly using this phone as a feature-rich smartphone. Thanks for any help.

Default Re: with so many things turned off, its almost not a smartphone.

No that is just how this phone is. It's a certified battery sucker. The only thing to do is get an extended battery if you want more battery life. Also keep your screen brightness low. I keep mine at 20%. Much higher than that and I can almost watch it drain as I'm switching through home screens.

I have to agree with getting the extended battery. I'm at 22 hours and 20 minutes right now since it was on the charger, and I'm at 47% battery left with moderate to heavy use. I leave my phone brightness on 50% and use the phone whenever and however I want. I could never have done this with the standard battery and was always looking for a place to plug in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails with so many things turned off, its almost not a smartphone.-screenshot-1351056140027.png  

Quote Originally Posted by makeshift View Post
    In an attempt to save battery I turned off... auto-sync, LTe, use wi-fi when I can, got the Rezound battery, only have links to websites instead of apps that sync, turned off syncing Google calanders and contacts, no downloaded music, no downloaded themes or keyboards, turned off gps, vibration, and animations. When not in use, the battery can last all day with just a very slight decline, with percentages remaining in the 90's and high 80's. But the second I make a call or browse the web, battery steeply drops. Before long, its in 50-40%. Just wondering if I need to calibrate the battery and is this normal behaviour..as I'm hardly using this phone as a feature-rich smartphone. Thanks for any help.
    Are you running the stock software (the latest is 2.11.605.19, Menu, Settings, About Phone, Software information) or a custom ROM? How old is your battery? Do you have another to try? It sounds unusual that the battery would drop that fast after using the phone for a bit. I have a similar setup with the Rezound battery, minimize what's syncing (only mail on one GMail account and BeWeather every 3 hours), GPS off (only Google location services turned on) and vibration (haptic feedback) turned off, although LTE is always on. The only time I see a drastic drop in battery is when doing something resource intensive such as streaming video or when in a poor signal area where the phone goes into overdrive searching for signal.

Also, if the battery is dropping fast after a phone call, it may be the dialer bug where the dialer gets stuck and doesn't allow the phone to go into a deep sleep. Check if it shows up via Menu, Settings, About Phone, Battery, Battery use. If it is the dialer bug, the only fix is to reboot the phone. For more info on it, see this thread (or search the forum for the word "dialer"): http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...aler-data.html. If the issue happens with different batteries, you may want to try a master (factory) reset just to get back to a known clean state.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

I also keep my screen brightness in the 20% range.. forgot to list that. Also, I never download any apps that ask for permissions that could access the dialer or anything else that would enable it to run processes on the phone w/o my interaction.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Are you running the stock software (the latest is 2.11.605.19, Menu, Settings, About Phone, Software information) or a custom ROM? How old is your battery? Do you have another to try? It sounds unusual that the battery would drop that fast after using the phone for a bit. I have a similar setup with the Rezound battery, minimize what's syncing (only mail on one GMail account and BeWeather every 3 hours), GPS off (only Google location services turned on) and vibration (haptic feedback) turned off, although LTE is always on. The only time I see a drastic drop in battery is when doing something resource intensive such as streaming video or when in a poor signal area where the phone goes into overdrive searching for signal.

Also, if the battery is dropping fast after a phone call, it may be the dialer bug where the dialer gets stuck and doesn't allow the phone to go into a deep sleep. Check if it shows up via Menu, Settings, About Phone, Battery, Battery use. If it is the dialer bug, the only fix is to reboot the phone. For more info on it, see this thread (or search the forum for the word "dialer"): http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...aler-data.html. If the issue happens with different batteries, you may want to try a master (factory) reset just to get back to a known clean state.
    This is on stock everything. Never rooted. I keep the phone on 3G only because in LTe, its constantly switching back and forth causing a major battery drain. I don't see much of a difference between 3G & 4G anyway, and unless its 100% everywhere.. I don't see a point in using it. I also had that dialer bug where the dialer would show up a % of use w/o me making or receiving a call or text. I found a thread in these forums on exactly that topic.. and there where some great posts on how to stop it from happening. I followed the suggestions and it worked! But it yielded no effect on my battery life..

I'd try another battery to rule it out as a problem. If it still happens with another battery, sounds like something is causing a higher than usual current draw causing the battery to drain abnormally fast. In that case, it may be best to try a master (factory) reset to rule out any app or something borked with the phone's software. If still a problem, could be a hardware issue.

Edit: I've never used it myself (no need), but you could also try something like Battery Monitor to try to isolate what's going on:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cc71.bmw&hl=en
    ThunderboltTool Developer

ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

with my extended battery on liquid ics and max brightness it lasts until 1am and still has 20-40%.

Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trter10-2 View Post
    with my extended battery on liquid ics and max brightness it lasts until 1am and still has 20-40%.
    I thought about getting the extended battery.. but I have 5 months left till upgrade and I'm just used to the form of the phone.
    ThunderboltTool Developer

ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

Default with so many things turned off, its almost not a smartphone.

They're only like $25 and they actually give a better grip IMO

Sent from my $20 iPod Touch using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

I thought there was a fault in the battery widget I was using because it displays 100% battery for a few hours, then when I make a call or browse the web it'll drop to the 70s. I thought it wasn't updating correctly..but the stock green android battery meter at the top of the screen corresponds with it so I don't know. On the battery usage screen, its almost a straight line for hours and then when I use the phone, it looks like a steep cliff.

Edit: today its at 97% within a few minutes of unplugging and w/ some use.
    Yesterday it hung at 100% for 2 hours w/ minimal use. ..can't explain it

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by makeshift View Post
    Edit: today its at 97% within a few minutes of unplugging and w/ some use.
    Yesterday it hung at 100% for 2 hours w/ minimal use. ..can't explain it
    I'm not good at making long stories short, but I'll try.

Once your device is charged, the charger/phone switch to a "maintenance mode" where the battery is allowed to drop a little, then brought back up to peak design charge, then allowed to drop. Continuing to charge a fully-charged battery will cause deeply undesirable results (if you're very, very lucky, it will just destroy your phone).

Your phone will show "100%" when the battery is well below the maximum peak charge. This is really only to save complaints from people saying "my battery won't charge to 100%", because technically most of the time you take your battery off charge it's nowhere near an actual 100% of design peak charge.

So if you unplug the phone mere moments before it was about to start another charging cycle, the battery will be significantly less-charged than if you had waited until that cycle was complete.

The only way to be sure your battery is fully charged (and this is actually not a desirable thing on a daily basis, since fully charging the battery is not actually good for it) is to "bump charge" the phone - meaning unplug it briefly and plug it back in, then wait for the light to go green, and repeat the process a couple of times.

Ideally, a battery will last the longest when it spends as much of its time as possible between about 20% and 80% charged. So if you want to not have to replace your batteries for as long as possible, unplug it at about 80% and plug it back in before it gets down to 20%.

Since this is impractically OCD behavior for most mere mortals like me, and your phone does a pretty good job of balancing out immediately available charge versus long-term battery use... Real-world, what you want to do is charge the phone when it's convenient, unplug it when you are about to use it, and don't stress out about the percentages until the phone can't remain charged long enough to be useful - then it's time for a new battery (and if the battery was never good enough, consider an extended battery).
    Last edited by natehoy; 10-26-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Thanked by:
    jdd77 

I seem to be one of the few happy T-Bolt owners.
    I got an extended battery with corresponding verizon belt-clip holster case at time of purchase and have not worried about the battery since.
    Yes it's heavy and not extremely attractive with the hump in the middle, but I like the solid feel and the extended battery case rests on my ring finger securely in my hand.
    The added bulk and weight don't bother me because I don't carry it in my pocket. It is always securely on my hip in the holster.
    I get full use of every feature of the T-Bolt without having to compromise for battery life.
    When my 2 yrs are up this spring I will choose another phone with an extended battery or RAZR Maxx HD that I can enjoy my unlimited data and all of it's features without compromise.
    In My Humbe Opinion, if you have to turn everything off or down, what's the point of having a feature rich phone?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    I'm not good at making long stories short, but I'll try.

Once your device is charged, the charger/phone switch to a "maintenance mode" where the battery is allowed to drop a little, then brought back up to peak design charge, then allowed to drop. Continuing to charge a fully-charged battery will cause deeply undesirable results (if you're very, very lucky, it will just destroy your phone).

Your phone will show "100%" when the battery is well below the maximum peak charge. This is really only to save complaints from people saying "my battery won't charge to 100%", because technically most of the time you take your battery off charge it's nowhere near an actual 100% of design peak charge.

So if you unplug the phone mere moments before it was about to start another charging cycle, the battery will be significantly less-charged than if you had waited until that cycle was complete.

The only way to be sure your battery is fully charged (and this is actually not a desirable thing on a daily basis, since fully charging the battery is not actually good for it) is to "bump charge" the phone - meaning unplug it briefly and plug it back in, then wait for the light to go green, and repeat the process a couple of times.

Ideally, a battery will last the longest when it spends as much of its time as possible between about 20% and 80% charged. So if you want to not have to replace your batteries for as long as possible, unplug it at about 80% and plug it back in before it gets down to 20%.

Since this is impractically OCD behavior for most mere mortals like me, and your phone does a pretty good job of balancing out immediately available charge versus long-term battery use... Real-world, what you want to do is charge the phone when it's convenient, unplug it when you are about to use it, and don't stress out about the percentages until the phone can't remain charged long enough to be useful - then it's time for a new battery (and if the battery was never good enough, consider an extended battery).
    I kind of got 'battery OCD' with this phone. Once I unplug it for the day, I don't charge it again until I know it'll be charging to 100%. (for these reasons you stated)
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MittenSportsFan View Post
    I got an extended battery with corresponding verizon belt-clip holster case at time of purchase and have not worried about the battery since.
    Yes it's heavy and not extremely attractive with the hump in the middle, but I like the solid feel and the extended battery case rests on my ring finger securely in my hand.
    The added bulk and weight don't bother me because I don't carry it in my pocket. It is always securely on my hip in the holster.
    I get full use of every feature of the T-Bolt without having to compromise for battery life.
    When my 2 yrs are up this spring I will choose another phone with an extended battery or RAZR Maxx HD that I can enjoy my unlimited data and all of it's features without compromise.
    In My Humbe Opinion, if you have to turn everything off or down, what's the point of having a feature rich phone?

I very much like my Tbolt. Nothing I would change about the software or the hardware. In some senses, I wonder what a new phone w/o Sense or a kickstand, or little things like the 'ping' you hear when adjusting volume, would be like. But in another sense, the phone's cursed with very bad battery life. I have to thank everyone for suggesting the xtended battery because now I'm considering it.. though I only have a few months left with this phone. It would ease my battery OCD lol.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MittenSportsFan View Post

I have the same setup. Extended battery and a Seidio case and holster combo. No worries about battery unless I'm on a multi day trip away from electricity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

I too strongly recommend an extended battery. It makes the phone easier to hold, and plus I have everything running full blast with no worries about my battery. If I'm talking more than 3 or 4 hours straight, or playing an hour or two of games, then I need to start looking at my battery life.
    jdd77 likes this.