Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

Yes you can keep your unlimited data in that scenario. The only ways to keep it is either doing a cross upgrade (what you're doing) or buying it out right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

No you don't have to get the mobile share plan for that line. You will have to get the 2GB for 30 dollars but once you put that dummy phone back you won't have to get a data plan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Infected Eternity/stock

I have a launch day T-Bolt also. Upgrade coming in about 3 weeks. As of now, we have a Family Plan with 700 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data. This contract is active as of April 2012.

So what I'm gathering.. Because I'm not the primary line on my account, because that contract is already in stone, I will NOT lose my unlimited data when I upgrade in mid Nov?
    Thunderbolt Saga > Brett Favre Saga

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperRez

So when you reactivate the dumbphone and deactivate the note 2, or whatever phone you choose, the data for that device will go away? I assumed since you sign a 2 year contract, you'd have to pay data for that.

Edit: I got confrimation from VZW that if you switch like this, the data will drop off. But when you try to switch the new smartphone with the old one, it will prompt you to pay the rest of the amount from discount to full retail? This didnt make much sense to me.
    Last edited by Bosgarage57; 10-31-2012 at 02:58 PM.

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by TBolt2011 View Post
    I have a launch day T-Bolt also. Upgrade coming in about 3 weeks. As of now, we have a Family Plan with 700 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data. This contract is active as of April 2012.

So what I'm gathering.. Because I'm not the primary line on my account, because that contract is already in stone, I will NOT lose my unlimited data when I upgrade in mid Nov?
    The trick to using this loophole is simple (although i was confused at first... just read my earlier posts LOL). The important variables are that it's a family plan in which one line has unlimited data and at least one other line has a regular data plan. The loophole is to ONLY USE THE LINE(S) WITH THE REGULAR DATA PLAN(S) to get upgrades/subsidized pricing. NEVER USE THE LINE WITH UNLIMITED DATA TO UPGRADE. You have to transfer the upgrade to the line with the regular data plan, activate the new phone, switch the new phone to the line with unlimited data, and then reactivate the original phone that has the regular data plan. That's ALL there is to it. This is as straight forward, cut and dry, black and white, down to the nitty gritty as i can make it.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

That's where I think I may run into trouble going this route. My current plan has my main line wiry unlimited data and then a basic phone with no type of data at all. I think that what might happen is when I purchase and activate the GNOTE 2 on that basic line, I will be forced into one of the new plans because I will have to add a data package to that line. I am ok with having to add data to that line for the few moments I have the gnote activated and then removing it when I reactivate the basic phone back onto that line.

If you read my post above you'll see a step by step instruction on how to so this directly from a Verizon chat I had yesterday and it seems like the salesperson at the other end knew that I had a basic phone on my other line so I'm left to assume that this method will work just fine. I do have a copy of the entire conversation I had with him and will post it up when I get home if you all would like.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperRez

Quote Originally Posted by chuckawd View Post
    If you read my post above you'll see a step by step instruction on how to so this directly from a Verizon chat I had yesterday and it seems like the salesperson at the other end knew that I had a basic phone on my other line so I'm left to assume that this method will work just fine. I do have a copy of the entire conversation I had with him and will post it up when I get home if you all would like.

Chuck, please do, I had a chat today with a VZW rep and she said once the GNote is reactivated onto the unlimited plan, you will have to pay to difference between the sale price and full retail. Honestly I dont see how they could do that though.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

Quote Originally Posted by redcat22 View Post
    The trick to using this loophole is simple (although i was confused at first... just read my earlier posts LOL). The important variables are that it's a family plan in which one line has unlimited data and at least one other line has a regular data plan. The loophole is to ONLY USE THE LINE(S) WITH THE REGULAR DATA PLAN(S) to get upgrades/subsidized pricing. NEVER USE THE LINE WITH UNLIMITED DATA TO UPGRADE. You have to transfer the upgrade to the line with the regular data plan, activate the new phone, switch the new phone to the line with unlimited data, and then reactivate the original phone that has the regular data plan. That's ALL there is to it. This is as straight forward, cut and dry, black and white, down to the nitty gritty as i can make it.
    So what you're saying is that both lines have to currently have a data plan? In my case I have an unlimited data plan on my main line and zero data of any sort on my basic line which is the one I plan on using to make this all work.

Since there is currently no data on that basic line, I can assume two scenarios :
    1: I will have to temporarily add data to that line when I activate the GNote 2 then pull it off when I reactivate the basic phone. This is how it would ideally work.
    2: I will be forced into some sort of Share everything plan to add that data and will then have to pay an etf to remove the gnote from that line.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

Quote Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
    Chuck, please do, I had a chat today with a VZW rep and she said once the GNote is reactivated onto the unlimited plan, you will have to pay to difference between the sale price and full retail. Honestly I dont see how they could do that though.
    Scott: Hello! My name is Scott. Thank you for chatting with our Sales Department today. I can walk you through starting new service, upgrading, or adding lines! How may I assist you today?
    You: Hello Scott. I have a quesiton about upgrading one of my phones.
    Scott: I'd be happy to assist you.
    Scott: Awesome.
    You: Thank You.
    Scott: Do you have a line eligible to upgrade now?
    You: I currently have unlimited data on my main line and obviously I do not want to lose that however I am looking forward to purchasing the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on launch day using one of my upgrades.
    You: I do indeed have an available upgrade on my secondary, non data line.
    Scott: Awesome, why not pre-order it now?
    You: I would love to get it pre ordered but need to assure that the way in which I will be using an upgrade to purchase it will not knock me off my unlimited data plan
    Scott: The line that is the basic phone and eligible to upgrade, you'd want to upgrade that line directly to the phone. This will keep unlimited data on your line.
    Scott: Once you receive the phone, activate it on the line, then take the basic phone that was on it and re-activate it onto that line.
    Scott: This now has the Note 2 de-activated, ready to be activated on your line, keeping your unlimited data.
    You: AWESOME!! So to verify, if I was to pre order online, would I use the upgrade for my basic line, recieve the phone, activate it onto my main unlimited line and then re activate the basic phone back onto its original line?
    Scott: Close.
    Scott: You'd activate it on the basic phone line first.
    You: Darn, I get so confused when trying to figure this out
    Scott: The line it you used to upgrade to it.
    Scott: 1. Upgrade the line that is directly eligible now (Basic phone line). 2. When the phone arrives, activate it as if you want it on this basic phone line.
    Scott: 3. Now that you did that you have the old basic phone de-activated. Re-activate the basic phone on it's old line. 4. Now you have the Note 2 de-activated ready to be activated on your line.
    You: Ok very well!!! I am sure people are doing this quite frequently. I prefer actually visiting the Verizon store to make phone purchases as I enjoy waiting in line etc. Would this be something that could be done actually in store?
    Scott: If you wish to, yes.
    You: Ok, lastly this is where I get most confused...once I use the basic line upgrade, that has no effect on the overall plan correct? ie: it extends the contract but doesn't effect the plan.
    Scott: It extends just that lines contract.
    Scott: Doesn't effect your plan.
    You: ok awesome! So, in the end, I would end up paying 3 activation fees correct? One for activating the GNOTE on the basic line, one for activating it on my main line, and one for reactivating the basic line.
    Scott: Not at all.
    You: I would pay no activation fees?
    Scott: There is an upgrade fee of $30 when upgrading that's a one time fee.
    Scott: There isn't a fee to activate a phone on previous lines.
    Scott: Activation fee is only when adding a new line and is a one time fee as well.
    You: Oh, I didn't know that. So no activation fee to activate the GNOTE on the basic line and no activation fee to activate it onto my unlimited line. Activation fees are for activating a new line of service ie: new phone number etc?
    Scott: Indeed.
    Scott: Well, new phone number and contract for a new line.
    Scott: As you can have your current number changed and then still no activation fee.
    You: ok I see, that I never knew. I just learned more in the past few minutes about this that I have in the 8 years I have been with verizon. Superior service!! I think that covers everything for now Scott. Thank You very much for your help!!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperRez

thanks Chuck, that answered alot. Wish you got to ask him about data on the dumbphone switch. Im hoping that it just falls off since there wont be a smart phone on it anymore.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

Quote Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
    thanks Chuck, that answered alot. Wish you got to ask him about data on the dumbphone switch. Im hoping that it just falls off since there wont be a smart phone on it anymore.
    What do you gather from that conversation as far as the data and contract are concerned? From what I understand, it should be an issue.

You: Ok, lastly this is where I get most confused...once I use the basic line upgrade, that has no effect on the overall plan correct? ie: it extends the contract but doesn't effect the plan.
    Scott: It extends just that lines contract.
    Scott: Doesn't effect your plan.
    What this is saying is, when you upgrade your "dumbphone" line, it will be a new 2-year agreement and since you'll be adding data to use the smartphone you will be adding data to the 2nd line for 2 years. Unless you want to pay an early termination fee. Unless you can kill data on a line without any kind of early termination fee, that i'm not 100% sure about.

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperRez

same here, that is what Im afraid of. At most someone could try it, and if cannot get data to drop then send the phone back within 14 days.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    What this is saying is, when you upgrade your "dumbphone" line, it will be a new 2-year agreement and since you'll be adding data to use the smartphone you will be adding data to the 2nd line for 2 years. Unless you want to pay an early termination fee. Unless you can kill data on a line without any kind of early termination fee, that i'm not 100% sure about.
    That's where my main concern comes in...canceling the data. I will have to boot up another chat with Verizon and ask them about that. If you do get hit with either an early termination fee or having to pay data for 2 years, that would far outweigh the full retail price of the phone. And, with that being said, I don't know if I can see myself paying $700 for a phone.
    Last edited by chuckawd; 10-31-2012 at 09:45 PM.

ROM
    Stock

That's where my main concern comes in...canceling the data. I will have to boot up another chat with Verizon and ask them about that. If you do get hit with either an early termination fee or having to pay data for 2 years, that would far outweigh the full retail price of the phone. And, with that being said, I don't know if I can see myself paying $700 for a phone.
    I'm another first day Thunderbolt owner and I only have one line. I gotta find a way to add a line so I can get the 299 price. I'm not too smart either. What's my best option ? Maybe add a dumb phone line ?

The only way to use an upgrade like this (a stated in OP) would be if you did not have a family plan. You would have to have two separate single line plans

<<<¡Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    Again, The Family Share Plan just shares voice minutes, not data.
    Once you put the GN2 on the unlimited line you are not subject to an ETF (as long as you keep it 2yrs and you fullfilled the contract of the T-bolt). If you still owe time on the T-bolt you can pay it's small remaining ETF. Once your T-bolt committment is complete You can put whatever you want back on the other line.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by fwhomeboy View Post
    I'm another first day Thunderbolt owner and I only have one line. I gotta find a way to add a line so I can get the 299 price. I'm not too smart either. What's my best option ? Maybe add a dumb phone line ?
    Don't think there's a loophole for your situation. I think you're stuck.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

Quote Originally Posted by MittenSportsFan View Post
    Again, The Family Share Plan just shares voice minutes, not data.
    Once you put the GN2 on the unlimited line you are not subject to an ETF (as long as you keep it 2yrs and you fullfilled the contract of the T-bolt). If you still owe time on the T-bolt you can pay it's small remaining ETF. Once your T-bolt committment is complete You can put whatever you want back on the other line.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    What happens when you remove the Note 2 from the basic line that didn't already have a data plan? I assume you'd have add data to the line for a minute to activate the Note 2 before reactivating the basic phone back on it's original line. That's where there might be an issue I believe.

So what I'm saying is that I don't have data on my basic line right now so in order to do this, I will have to temporarily add data and the only way to do so, as I see it, is to get the newer plans.

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anthony2558 View Post
    Yes it will work. You can also do it online, you can see which phone is available for an upgrade and then click a button that says transfer upgrade. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    This doesn't work, you will lose unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

So what I'm saying is that I don't have data on my basic line right now so in order to do this, I will have to temporarily add data and the only way to do so, as I see it, is to get the newer plans.
    Bam - that right there is my thing here. My second, dumb phone line has no data plan. I fear if I add, I commit, and then I can't "back out" by doing the switch. At least I fear that. ;-)

If anyone has attempted this - with or without success - please chime in.

Full retail if you're serious about keeping unlimited. I have bought a phone full retail for my wife. It was UNpleasant...but the ongoing expense of what my bill would be vs. the one time cut was a no-brainer

<<<¡Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

I didn't get a chance to chat with a Verizon Rep today to ask them about the basic phone data issue however I did get a chance to play with a Note 2. Simply put, I'm getting it subsidized or full retail. Beautiful screen and as far as size is concerned it didn't feel nearly as large as one would suspect.

Anyone else have any input on upgrading a family share plan with a basic line as the current secondary?

You will be fine. I have 2 smartphones, mine with unlimited data, an iphone with the 300mb plan, and 2 dumb phones. I have used one of the dumb phones to buy a Rezound for $50 on upgrade last year and switched it to my line. The dumb phone line does not have to pay a data charge on the old family share plans.

Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    Bam - that right there is my thing here. My second, dumb phone line has no data plan. I fear if I add, I commit, and then I can't "back out" by doing the switch. At least I fear that. ;-)

If anyone has attempted this - with or without success - please chime in.

I am in the same boat as many of you in here, day one Thunderbolt owner looking to upgrade to a Galaxy Note 2 while keeping my unlimited data. I am currently in a family plan with unlimited data on my line along with two dumb phones. Just went through a live chat with a verizon rep who seemed uninformed at first but after copying part of the chat posted above by Chuckawd she understood what I was talking about and then proceeded to tell me I shouldn't have any issue temporarily upgrading a dumb phone line and then immediately switching it back and removing the data plan. She even stated that I shouldn't be charged for the data plan although it's possible that I may receive a charge for a single month. Here's the chat:

Britt R.: Hello, my name is Brittney! How may I assist you with your order today?
    Noah: I am currently in a family share plan and my line is grandfathered with unlimited data for my HTC Thunderbolt, I am looking to upgrade to a galaxy note 2 at the end of this month but am worried about losing my unlimited data
    Britt R.: Good afternoon, Noah!
    Britt R.: With the upgrade at discounted price, the unlimited data won't carry over, though most of our users don't exceed the 2GB data plan and there is still handy unlimited data on wifi networks!
    Noah: I have heard that as long as I use the upgrade for a different line I should not lose my unlimited data plan, but the part I am confused about is that my other two lines do not have data plans so if I were to use one of those to upgrade would there be an issue moving from a "dumb phone" to a smart phone?
    Noah: But I wouldn't be using my line to upgrade
    Noah: I would use one of my other 2 non-unlimited lines, activate them, then simply deactivate them after and reactivate my note 2 on my line
    Britt R.: This would mean you would need to change the data plans.
    Britt R.: PLan*
    Noah: I have been told that this can be done by another representative
    Noah: since I wouldn't be using the upgrade on my line
    Britt R.: But with activating the other line without data then putting the new phone on your line, the 2GB data plan would carry over.
    Noah: But what if I were to activate the other line first, then deactivate it and switch them? Another rep has said this was possible
    Noah: I will copy what he said
    Noah: You: I would love to get it pre ordered but need to assure that the way in which I will be using an upgrade to purchase it will not knock me off my unlimited data plan Scott: The line that is the basic phone and eligible to upgrade, you'd want to upgrade that line directly to the phone. This will keep unlimited data on your line. Scott: Once you receive the phone, activate it on the line, then take the basic phone that was on it and re-activate it onto that line. Scott: This now has the Note 2 de-activated, ready to be activated on your line, keeping your unlimited data. You: AWESOME!! So to verify, if I was to pre order online, would I use the upgrade for my basic line, recieve the phone, activate it onto my main unlimited line and then re activate the basic phone back onto its original line? Scott: Close. Scott: You'd activate it on the basic phone line first. You: Darn, I get so confused when trying to figure this out Scott: The line it you used to upgrade to it. Scott: 1. Upgrade the line that is directly eligible now (Basic phone line). 2. When the phone arrives, activate it as if you want it on this basic phone line. Scott: 3. Now that you did that you have the old basic phone de-activated. Re-activate the basic phone on it's old line. 4. Now you have the Note 2 de-activated ready to be activated on your line.
    Britt R.: Please give me a couple minutes to read this.
    Noah: Thank you, sorry it is formatted so messy
    Britt R.: Haha no worries!
    Britt R.: Okay, I see what you are saying now! This helps clarify! Yes, you will be able to do this to keep the unlimited data!
    Noah: Yes sorry it is such a confusing issue
    Noah: But my confusion is
    Noah: Since my other two lines are "dumb phones"
    Britt R.: Oh, no problem!
    Noah: and I will be temporarily activating a smartphone on one of the lines
    Noah: will this cause me to have to get a new data plan for one of those lines?
    Noah: And if this is the case will I be able to cancel that new data plan after the first month?
    Noah: Or is there some way around this problem?
    Britt R.: No, once you activate the Note 2 on the one basic line then reactivate the basic phone, it would drop the other data plan and you would just have the unlimited on your line.
    Noah: Because as far as I know I would need a data plan for it since I'd be upgrading from a dumb phone to a smartphone temporarily, but it would only be for a day
    Noah: So would I be charged for the data plan even if I cancel it immediately?
    Noah: Or would I be able to just negate that charge since I would literally only have it for a day or less
    Britt R.: You should not have any cost for that "new" data plan since you will activate right back to the basic line and no data would be used.
    Britt R.: If anything, it might be the one month cost but you shouldn't even have this.
    Noah: Cool thank you this is what I wanted to clarify
    Noah: And it shouldn't affect my contract at all correct? Just simply extend it?
    Britt R.: Sure thing! May I assist you with walking through the pre order as well today? Right, it would just renew your line plan for the 2 years, no other changes.
    Noah: That's ok I am still not 100% positive that I want the Note 2 until I take a look at it, but I appreciate the help
    Britt R.: There is the 14 day return policy that is always handy for seeing the new phone and using it first hand, then returning if it is not up to par!
    Noah: I understand but I would still rather take a look before finalizing a purchase
    Noah: But thank you for clarifying that
    Britt R.: You're welcome. This phone isn't in stores at this time either, so you are aware.
    Noah: Yes I am aware I will be looking at it as soon as it releases. Do you know when it will be released? I have heard November 29th but don't know if that is official.
    Britt R.: This is what I have heard, though I don't have the exact date to say yes, 100%.
    Noah: Thank you
    Britt R.: You're welcome!
    Noah: Is there any way to have this chat emailed to me in case I encounter any issues?
    Noah: If I do decide to go through with the purchase that is
    Britt R.: Sure thing! Once you end chat today you will have the survey and e-mail option.
    Noah: Thank you so much
    Britt R.: No problem!
    Britt R.: May I assist you with getting any new accessories for the current phones today as well perhaps?
    Noah: No that's ok
    Noah: Thank you though
    Noah: Have a great day
    Britt R.: You're welcome!
    Britt R.: Is there anything else I may assist you with here online at this time?
    Noah: No that's all for today
    Britt R.: Thank you for visiting Verizon Wireless; it’s been a pleasure chatting with you. Have a great day!
    Noah: Thank you, you too
    Britt R.: Thank you!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast