Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 201
Like Tree13Likes
  1. #101  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    Yassir, exactly what I'm saying. The SIM card provided all the programming - that's its point.

    Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
    There is a Sim card in my incredible 2 but it's not lte but i assume it gets updated over the air as well.

    How do you activate an lte phone then?

    The Nottinator
  2. #102  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    So I am looking at paying and extra $100 a month just to have unlimited data?
  3. #103  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    There is a Sim card in my incredible 2 but it's not lte but i assume it gets updated over the air as well.

    How do you activate an lte phone then?

    The Nottinator
    It's either not the same kind of SIM card or a SIM card has a different purpose in an LTE phone. I don't know the details of the technology like I should.. can someone chime in here who can explain this better than I?

    Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
  4. #104  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    There is a Sim card in my incredible 2 but it's not lte but i assume it gets updated over the air as well.

    How do you activate an lte phone then?

    The Nottinator
    I didn't answer the activation piece. As I recall it the SIM is activated initially there in the store and set up to your phone number. It then gets plugged into the phone and BAM, you're activated. The "programming" of the phone comes off the card.

    Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #105  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    There is a Sim card in my incredible 2 but it's not lte but i assume it gets updated over the air as well.

    How do you activate an lte phone then?

    The Nottinator
    Is the Incredible 2 a world phone, with GSM in it? If so, this link will explain what your SIM card does.
    TiPb Answers: What is a SIM card and what does it do? | iMore.com
  6. #106  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    Is the Incredible 2 a world phone, with GSM in it? If so, this link will explain what your SIM card does.
    TiPb Answers: What is a SIM card and what does it do? | iMore.com
    Yes, the Incredible 2 is a world phone.

    Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
  7. #107  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by MittenSportsFan View Post
    If you or your wife have an upgrade available you don't have to give up both unlimited plans. You can keep one for your heavy data line and your wife can use the 2gb plan for her line. You can call it a loophole or imply that it is something illegal or unethical with your quote ("allowing") but I think of it as managing your upgrades. The vzw rep actually suggested I do it last year when I bought my wifes iphone 4s. I was told they won't be ending the program because it is shrinking every month through natural attrition. Those that leave vzw, or don't have another non-unlimited data line to trade upgrades will leave the plan when they upgrade.
    So you can choose to not manage your upgrades because an extra $22 per month is not that much to you, but the key phrase I read from your post is "weened myself down".
    What is the point of getting a big screen, super fast 4g smartphone and then having to ration your use? Especially when you don't have to.
    The $22 is not the point. The big screen and 4g speed is begging for data hogging video on the go and I'm going to enjoy it without reservation or concern. Netflix movies, streaming music, you tube videos, or anything else.
    You can pay the extra $22 and ween your use down to 4gb rather than taking the 5minutes it would take to talk to the rep.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    I get it, but the problem with dealing with a Verizon rep is that they may be "allowing" this out of ignorance, not because it's company policy. just from a common sense point of view, Verizon would eventually like all of us off of unlimited data. they stand to make much more money if we are. I'm not saying this is illegal, but loopholes don't imply illegality. just a way around the system. believe me, if I CAN get around it in July when both my phones are upgraded, I will. but I'm going into it ready to limit my data usage, because it's a possibility I won't have unlimited data when I leave that store. I'm just being a realist. thanks for the info, BTW.
  8. #108  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    I'm not happy about having to pay full retail to keep unlimited data. I think it should still be an option for at the very least individual plans.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  9. #109  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by undertothenight View Post
    I'm not happy about having to pay full retail to keep unlimited data. I think it should still be an option for at the very least individual plans.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    I'm with you on that......

    The Nottinator
  10. #110  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    Ok, this brings up another interesting point.

    Let's say I'm in the VZW store buying a new DNA. I'm going to set it up on an upgradable dumb phone account. Now, we've gotta go through the whole thing of encoding a SIM and all that, right? I assume we do, so all of that gets done and the DNA is now assigned to the old dumb line. THEN I turn around and go back into the store and say ok, now we want to switch it to my unlimited account. Now we have to pull that SIM card out and replace it with the one from the phone on my unlimited line, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    Add a new line then switch that phone over to your unlimited number AFTER you leave the store.

    The Nottinator
    How much is a dumb phone going to coast?
    To live and die in L.A.
  11. #111  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly818 View Post
    How much is a dumb phone going to coast?
    10 bucks/month on a non share plan.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #112  
    chuckawd's Avatar

    Posts
    488 Posts
    ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by blakke39 View Post
    10 bucks/month on a non share plan.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    Plus applicable taxes and extra fees so between $15-20 I would guess.

    Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt
  13. #113  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Interesting discussions and I think I know the answer to my question, but still want to put it out there.

    My wife and I each are due for an upgrade in January, I am with the Thunderbolt and she is with the iphone 4. I am ready to throw my phone through a wall and will switch in January while my wife is going to stay put for a while. We both currently have unlimited. Is the only way for me to keep the unlimited is to buy a basic phone and add the new line and go that route? I really don't want to do that, but may if it is the only way to keep the unlimited.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #114  
    chuckawd's Avatar

    Posts
    488 Posts
    ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by elindquist1 View Post
    Interesting discussions and I think I know the answer to my question, but still want to put it out there.

    My wife and I each are due for an upgrade in January, I am with the Thunderbolt and she is with the iphone 4. I am ready to throw my phone through a wall and will switch in January while my wife is going to stay put for a while. We both currently have unlimited. Is the only way for me to keep the unlimited is to buy a basic phone and add the new line and go that route? I really don't want to do that, but may if it is the only way to keep the unlimited.
    If you want to keep unlimited on both lines then yes, the only way for you to do so besides buying off contract is to add another basic phone line to your plan and go that route.

    Alternatively, you could sacrifice unlimited on one of your lines and have one unlimited line and one basic which would allow you the upgrade price but you would lose unlimited.

    Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #115  
    chuckawd's Avatar

    Posts
    488 Posts
    ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    I am using my basic line upgrade to buy the Note2 and will then be transferring it to my main line to keep unlimited data. Now, I spoke with a sales Rep last night and she said that I DID NOT have to first activate the Note 2 on its upgraded line and that I would just activate it straight to my unlimited line and by doing so it would not effect my unlimited data nor would I receive any additional charges for doing it this way.

    I have always understood that you have to first activate the phone on the line you used to upgrade first then reactivate the original phone back onto that line which will deactivate the Note2 freeing it up to be activated on my line.

    Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt
  16. #116  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckawd View Post
    I am using my basic line upgrade to buy the Note2 and will then be transferring it to my main line to keep unlimited data. Now, I spoke with a sales Rep last night and she said that I DID NOT have to first activate the Note 2 on its upgraded line and that I would just activate it straight to my unlimited line and by doing so it would not effect my unlimited data nor would I receive any additional charges for doing it this way.

    I have always understood that you have to first activate the phone on the line you used to upgrade first then reactivate the original phone back onto that line which will deactivate the Note2 freeing it up to be activated on my line.

    Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt
    I wouldn't trust that information. I would be comfortable walking out of the store and then switching over the phone myself.


    The Nottinator
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #117  
    chuckawd's Avatar

    Posts
    488 Posts
    ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    I wouldn't trust that information. I would be comfortable walking out of the store and then switching over the phone myself.


    The Nottinator
    I agree because every single other source I have talked to says to first activate on the like that I used to to upgrade. I did preorder though.

    Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt
  18. #118  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Ok so I have a question maybe someone will know. I'm on a family plan with 2 smartphones and 2 basic phones my thunderbolt unlimited data line is due for an upgrade and I was wondering if I share my upgrade with a basic phone to get a new smartphone and then after transfer the new phone back to my line will I still keep my unlimited data
  19. #119  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by poncyponce View Post
    Ok so I have a question maybe someone will know. I'm on a family plan with 2 smartphones and 2 basic phones my thunderbolt unlimited data line is due for an upgrade and I was wondering if I share my upgrade with a basic phone to get a new smartphone and then after transfer the new phone back to my line will I still keep my unlimited data
    Yes you will, only thing that has not been confirmed when doing it this way is how much it will really cost. You will need to add data to the basic phone line for at least the minute it takes to activate the new phone and no one in this thread has done this to see if you can just kill the data once you transfer the new phone back to your line.
  20. #120  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    I have really enjoyed this thread and want to thank you all for your contributions to both the conversation and my education.

    You know what though? I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge to Share Everything. It's going to happen eventually - it's foolish for me to think otherwise - so I might as well save myself the hassle and just go now. I looked at the numbers.. My two smartphone, two dumb phone account, with 10GBs, will cost me exactly what my family plan costs me know. And we NEVER get to 10GBs.

    I'm down to either the DNA or the Note 2. Can't wait.

    Thanks guys - this forum really does rock.

    Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
  21. #121  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Sorry to hear that...I don't believe its inevitable..otherwise they wouldn't present an option...good luck

    <<<ˇSent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>
  22. #122  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by primevyl View Post
    Sorry to hear that...I don't believe its inevitable..otherwise they wouldn't present an option...good luck

    <<<ˇSent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>
    They're not "presenting an option" - customers have found a loophole and Verizon simply hasn't closed it yet. But as has been said in many posts on this thread, they will. Only a matter of time.

    Meantime, the various other phones on my plan will all have upgrade needs over the coming months, so we will eventually run out of options. Moving now saves hassle.

    Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
  23. #123  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    The only flaw in that is press release, which I am looking for to link, where the VZ exec says customers have the option to keep their unlimited plan if they purchase their new device without subsidy.

    I'm glad it worked out for you. But I'm not letting go of a plan because one day it might not be supported.

    <<<ˇSent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>
  24. #124  

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    Quote Originally Posted by primevyl View Post
    The only flaw in that is press release, which I am looking for to link, where the VZ exec says customers have the option to keep their unlimited plan if they purchase their new device without subsidy.

    I'm glad it worked out for you. But I'm not letting go of a plan because one day it might not be supported.

    <<<ˇSent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>
    Oops, sorry, you're right - that is true. Forgot all about that. I was assuming we were talking about keeping unlimited while NOT paying full price for the phone, which is what I thought was the basic point of this thread.

    But seriously, think of the economics. $600+ for one of these phones? Really? Think of how much in overage charges you'd have to incur to make that the cheaper option. Naaa, not me, that's nuts. 10GB in my world is more than I and my son would get in a month anyway.

    And no - that's not why I'm letting it go, but it's a clever twist on what I'm saying!
  25. #125  
    TBolt2011's Avatar

    Posts
    699 Posts
    ROM
    Infected Eternity/stock

    Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

    I'm sure everyone knows this already, but in case it was never clearly stated...

    I went in for an upgrade (Launch day TBolt here) last weekend with a sliver of hope that because the account holder on our family plan still had unlimited data, I MIGHT be able to piggy back off of that and keep unlimited for my line also.

    No can do. They told me if I wanted to upgrade my phone at contract price, I had to pay full retail. I told them I was switching that day (free GS3 from T-Mobile? Yes please!) if that was the case, and he didn't change his answer.

    So the absolute only way to keep unlimited data AND use your upgrade at this point in time is through the loophole discussed in this thread. No piggy-backing, so to speak, off of other lines' contracts at all.
    Thunderbolt Saga > Brett Favre Saga
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Complete Newb (unlimited data question)
    By CMONEYT8KER in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 04:13 AM
  3. Keeping Unlimited Data
    By TuxDotKing in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 02:03 PM
  4. Keep unlimited data?
    By lcsglvr in forum Droid Bionic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 01:46 PM

Posting Permissions

B