Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Default Re: Keeping Unlimited Data Question

Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    No, but if you don't have the phones to reactivate or know the id numbers they are doing you no good. I'm assuming you both have smart phones right now so new lines would run you 40 a month unless you can find some old dumb phones to reactivate on there.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!
    You can have Verizon put a phantom phone on those lines, no physical phone is needed. You would still have to pay the $10 plus tax a month. I would never keep lost phones active, simply because if it is lost or stolen, then someone can rack up charges if they happen to find it.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You can have Verizon put a phantom phone on those lines, no physical phone is needed. You would still have to pay the $10 plus tax a month. I would never keep lost phones active, simply because if it is lost or stolen, then someone can rack up charges if they happen to find it.

You would need the hex esn or imei id number to do that and previous poster didn't have that.

I'm not sure if this way was covered but if it was I apologise:

Family Share Plan
    1 Smartphone - Thunderbolt- Unlimited data
    2 Basic Phones- No data

Thunderbolt is up for Upgrade. Any upgrade I do normally will lose my unlimited data and cost us like $20 more a month.
    So basically paying more for less. (Thanks VZW)

Am I able to do this other path or am I SOL and have tto do full retail, since the 2 other lines don't have data?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringey View Post
    I'm not sure if this way was covered but if it was I apologise:

Family Share Plan
    1 Smartphone - Thunderbolt- Unlimited data
    2 Basic Phones- No data

Thunderbolt is up for Upgrade. Any upgrade I do normally will lose my unlimited data and cost us like $20 more a month.
    So basically paying more for less. (Thanks VZW)

Am I able to do this other path or am I SOL and have tto do full retail, since the 2 other lines don't have data?

Thank you.
    Peruse the thread a little, this has been discussed. Bottom line though, no one has confirmed if it works for your situation. There is talk of adding a new smartphone to a dumb line using an upgrade and then moving it to the unlimited line and then killing the data plan off the dumb line but no one has confirmed if that works or not or what the fees are involved with cancelling the data plan.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Got the deal done. Found out on the Costco thread that Costco is charging $329 plus I wouldn't be able to use my upgrade credit. Didn't bother to verify. Went to Verizon. Turned out to be a good thing, for reasons I will explain. The rep. knew exactly what I wanted to do. She spent a lot of time with me and was very helpful. I went home, looked at my account, and found my plan had been changed. Went back, and rep called Verizon support and they said I changed the plan on 11/23 and dumped unlimited data. This had not shown when the rep was doing the transaction. The only thing I did on 11/23 was explore the cost of upgrading and various plans online. I had never finalized a change - if I had, I would have a phone in the mail by now since I was doing it all in relation to buying a new phone on my line. Even though it was outside the 14-day period to change plan back, rep spent a lot of time on the phone with support and was able to get my unlimited data back.

Of course I know rep is angling to get her commission on upgrading my other phone which will probably be done in next 6 months. She worked very hard to get that privilege and I will go back to her at that time.

My only issue is the insurance. There's the $10.99 plan (tablet plan, required for N2s and iPhone 5s vs. the $9.99 plan) and the $6.99 plan. Neither rep could tell me all the details of either, so I got the $10.99 and can drop or change later. Insurance through Best Buy or Costco would have been better. I'm going to go look for an insurance thread. I am very afraid of dropping my phone. It's gorgeous.

BTW, the rep tried halfheartedly to get me to consider other phones and other plans. At the point I left she had decided she wanted an N2 for herself (is looking to upgrade), although she had been planning on the S3 or DNA. The other rep there already had the N2. So much for Verizon's plans to discourage people from buying the N2. Rep still thinks I'm going to change my plan in the next couple months, and she made sure to put her number on my phone so she could handle it when the time comes. If transferring my upgrade to the other line works (haven't tried yet), then I will be able to keep unlimited data until it's phased out, supposedly next summer.

Is anyone else using their phone for tethering/hotspot? Now I'm paying $30 for unlimited hotspot, whereas before I was paying $20 for 2 GB or $30 for 5 GB, as needed. So far hotspot connection seems slow, but not worse than my old Blackberry.
    Last edited by awiz; 12-11-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Hello everyone! Great information here but still a bit confused. I have 2 unlimited data plans and I just ordered a Note 2 at a subzidized price through best buy under my number. Of course my data plan is still unlimitted until my phone comes in and its activated. How should I handle my situation in order to keep the unlimitted data? Should I activate the phone under my second line then activate on mine? Would that work? Thanks in advance!

The line that ordered the phone is the line that will lose unlimited data. If I am understanding you correctly, you bought the phone on your line, so your line would lose unlimited data. If you want to keep unlimited data on your line and have the other line lose unlimited data, then you should upgrade the other line.

You would need the hex esn or imei id number to do that and previous poster didn't have that.

A physical phone is not needed, or imei or esn. Verizon can manually set it to a phantom line.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

So there is no way to keep unlimited data on both lines without having to add a third line?

Quote Originally Posted by Roelito78 View Post
    So there is no way to keep unlimited data on both lines without having to add a third line?
    Correct.the upgraded line will be forced to tiered data if you buy at subsidized 2 year contract pricing. You can either add a line or don't buy a phone on subsidized 2 year pricing.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

How about if I buy 2 subzidized phones and swap the lines?

ROM
    UD 2.0

There is no hope for you on contract pricing! If you wanna pay full price for each device then you can keep your unlimited data plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Verizon has good service but I think that they are screwing their customers

Quote Originally Posted by Roelito78 View Post
    How about if I buy 2 subzidized phones and swap the lines?

Sorry, that won't work. Any line that is upgraded on 2year contract pricing will lose unlimited data. Doesn't matter where you move the phone afterward, or even sell it. The original account that the upgrade was used will lose unlimited data. If you want to buy a phone direct from Verizon and keep unlimited data, you either have to pay full retail or buy CPO, which carries a 1 year warranty and 14 day return policy, but selection is limited. For example, the gs3 is $420. CPO. Which is more expensive than on 2 year subsidized pricing, but you can keep unlimited data. Your other option is to buy from eBay, cl or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    A physical phone is not needed, or imei or esn. Verizon can manually set it to a phantom line.
    Please explain how to do this. I don't think Verizon is going to transfer a number that had a smartphone on it to a ghost phone so I can reduce the cost by 30 bucks a month.

Please explain how to do this. I don't think Verizon is going to transfer a number that had a smartphone on it to a ghost phone so I can reduce the cost by 30 bucks a month.
    Yes they will. I have read of multiple people being able to do so. Data charge on the legacy plans are device dependent. Don't tell them you want to save money, just tell them that you want to move the new phone to your line and you don't want a phone on the new line.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Hello everyone. Please help me.
    I have an iPhone 4 and my contract will be end in this April. I want to keep my unlimited data and upgrade to HTC DROID ONE. Can I just buy the phone from amazonwireless.com at full price and let verizon wireless rep to active it? Will I keep my unlimited data by doing this?
    Thank you guys. I appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddong View Post
    Hello everyone. Please help me.
    I have an iPhone 4 and my contract will be end in this April. I want to keep my unlimited data and upgrade to HTC DROID ONE. Can I just buy the phone from amazonwireless.com at full price and let verizon wireless rep to active it?
    yes. Why buy from amazonwireless and not from verizon if you are paying full price? Save on taxes?

Will I keep my unlimited data by doing this?
    yes, just be sure and keep checking your account and make sure they don't switch you off. If they do, you can get switched back if you are within 14 days of the switch.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    yes. Why buy from amazonwireless and not from verizon if you are paying full price? Save on taxes?

yes, just be sure and keep checking your account and make sure they don't switch you off. If they do, you can get switched back if you are within 14 days of the switch.
    yes. I am living in NJ and thanks to Amazon, there is no taxes here. I will keep my eyes on my account, make sure they won't mess it up.
    Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I just came from a Verizon store. I asked about a Galaxy Note 2 for my fiancee's line, which had a dumbphone. I asked the rep if my fiancee didn't like the phone, could I just put this Thunderbolt on her line and transfer the Note to mine? She said yes, but you might have to come here to do that because of the 4G sim cards. So, as I'm going through with the sale, she gets set to open the Note to insert the sim card and I say, can we just switch them now, while you have that open? She looked at me kind of strange and said sure, lets go to a real computer (all this was happening on an iPad). This process took about 10 minutes and she finally says "wanting to keep your unlimited. eh?" and I said "If that's the way that works out, great!" So, I have a brand spankin' new Note on an unlimited line. She has my TB now with a 2GB plan but the odds of her going over are really slim. So, yeah! it works!

yes. I am living in NJ and thanks to Amazon, there is no taxes here. I will keep my eyes on my account, make sure they won't mess it up.
    Thank you. I appreciate your help.
    Just an FYI, bought a note 2 for $37 on contract. Even if I didn't want a contract, i could have started a new line of service and pay $350 etf. My price was a fluke through best buy price match error, but I have heard of others getting it for $50. Some stores like amazon will charge a secondary $400 etf though, so make sure to watch out for that if you do the etf method.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Quote Originally Posted by alinvain View Post
    I just came from a Verizon store. I asked about a Galaxy Note 2 for my fiancee's line, which had a dumbphone. I asked the rep if my fiancee didn't like the phone, could I just put this Thunderbolt on her line and transfer the Note to mine? She said yes, but you might have to come here to do that because of the 4G sim cards. So, as I'm going through with the sale, she gets set to open the Note to insert the sim card and I say, can we just switch them now, while you have that open? She looked at me kind of strange and said sure, lets go to a real computer (all this was happening on an iPad). This process took about 10 minutes and she finally says "wanting to keep your unlimited. eh?" and I said "If that's the way that works out, great!" So, I have a brand spankin' new Note on an unlimited line. She has my TB now with a 2GB plan but the odds of her going over are really slim. So, yeah! it works!
    Fyi, if she has no need for a smartphone, just put the dumb phone back on her line so you don't have to pay the data charge on her line.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

That's not true. A single line plan with grandfathered unlimited data can add a home phone connect voice only line for 20 bucks a month which adds a voice only line to your account. Step 2 is you do an alternate upgrade using the grandfathered line upgrade to up grade the voice only line. Interesting thing is you can upgrade the voice only line to a smart phone WITHOUT Affecting your unlimited data. Step three is do a device only switch and put the home phone conect device back onto the voice only line you added and take the phone you just removed from the voice only line and put it onto the grandfathered unlimited line doing a device only switch. THIS WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR UNLIMITED DATA AT ALL! I work at a verizon premium retailer and I know for a fact it works cause I do it all the time. It's not worth is some but to those who use their phones as a wifi hot spot and use 10+ gigs of data a month it most certainly is.

@ dpham000. Okay why do open your mouth if your not going to give specific useful info? The tester line esn (also known as ghost line) is: 13800000400

Quote Originally Posted by kerse89 View Post
    The tester line esn (also known as ghost line) is: 13800000400
    So does this mean that if you add a line you don't need a phone on it, they just have to key in that esn on the line?
    I voided my warranty.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast