Keeping Unlimited Data Question

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have a launch day Thunderbolt and I am planning on moving to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 once it arrives. I do still have unlimited data on my line. I also have a basic phone (LG Dare) attached to my account that is month to month and available to upgrade any time. Obviously, I want to keep my unlimited data as I use 4gb per month roughly. Since my basic line is available for an upgrade, would I be able to use it to buy the Gnote 2 at the subsidized price and then move it to my current Thunderbolt line and keep unlimited by doing so?

So, when all is said and done, I would have purchased the Gnote 2 at the subsidized price using my basic line upgrade, moved it to my main line that currently has unlimited data and then put the LG dare back on the basic line.

One Radical Dude

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking since you're actually not using the line with the unlimited data to upgrade or buy at subsidized pricing, you won't lose it. I'm not 100% certain, though.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I would be buying at a subsidized price even though I would be using the other lines upgrade. Would it still work?

Im just really looking for a way to avoid buying at full retail.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

Last edited:

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes. You can use this strategy.
I called vzw customer service to confirm.
I have T-Bolt with unlimited data and my wife has 4s. We are on Family Share plan and I keep my unlimited data by flipping phones with each upgrade. As long as you have two lines you can do it forever (or until they change the policy).

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes it will work. You can also do it online, you can see which phone is available for an upgrade and then click a button that says transfer upgrade. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes it will work. You can also do it online, you can see which phone is available for an upgrade and then click a button that says transfer upgrade. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Very awesome! I was thinking that it might work. I will be searching for that transfer upgrade button tonight.

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

This didn't work with my wife's iPhone 5. I tried to transfer the upgrade to her line so I could keep unilimited data; no go. Verizon, in multiple conversations in-store and with CS, told me the upgrade has to be used on my line and yes I would lose unlimited data. I don't use that much data so I'll be ok but I didn't like being pushed off the plan. I've said before, based on what I paid for the subsidized iPhone 5 I should have just paid retail and kept the unlimited data.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes. You can use this strategy.
I called vzw customer service to confirm.
I have T-Bolt with unlimited data and my wife has 4s. We are on Family Share plan and I keep my unlimited data by flipping phones with each upgrade. As long as you have two lines you can do it forever (or until they change the policy).

Ok, let me get this straight... i'm slow this morning. I have almost the exact same scenario. I have a family plan, i have the tbolt with unlimited and my wife has iphone 4 with a crap data package. I understand the ability to swap upgrades (already have done that once actually), but it's possible to switch who has unlimited data within the plan?:confused:

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
You are just transferring upgrades from one line or phone number to another. Once you do that and get the phone, you can place any of your phones on any of your lines without changing your plan.
It is altering your plan that kills unlimited data. As long as you have an upgrade and you stay on Family Share you should be fine.

rinkrat13

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat I have a launch day Tbolt with unlimited data. I went into my local store on Saturday and talked to a rep, he set me up to get the GNote II. He added a line to my account which will receive the GNote after it is activated on the new line I will switch it to my main line. The rep told me that with the new line I will be able to get my upgrades every 2 years so I don't have to touch my main line upgrade and lose my unlimited data. He also told me NEVER to do an upgrade transfer where I give the upgrade to my main line, he says I MUST activate the new phone on the 2nd line and then I can switch it to my main line. The transfer will cause the loss of my unlimited data.

The way I look at it I am absolutely willing to pay the extra $10 a month that the extra line, with a dumb phone, will cost me to keep unlimited data.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
You are just transferring upgrades from one line or phone number to another. Once you do that and get the phone, you can place any of your phones on any of your lines without changing your plan. It is altering your plan that kills unlimited data. As long as you have an upgrade and you stay on Family Share you should be fine.

Do you have a data plan for you and another one for your wife, or is it one data plan for both phones? I still don't understand how simply just transferring an upgrade keeps unlimited data. I guess i'm unsure what the family share plan is too.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, we both have data plans.
I have unlimited on T-bolt and iphone 4s has smallest data plan (2GB).

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a data plan for you and another one for your wife, or is it one data plan for both phones? I still don't understand how simply just transferring an upgrade keeps unlimited data. I guess i'm unsure what the family share plan is too.

My T-bolt is on line #1 which has unlimited data and will get an upgrade every odd numbered year. My wife's iphone 4s is on line #2 which is on a 2GB data plan and will get an upgrade in even numbered years.
In even years we use her (line #2) upgrade but in odd years I transfer line #1 upgrade to line #2.
Line #1 never uses upgrade (it's always transferred to line #2 to make purchase) so plan on line #1 stays the same and keeps unlimited data.
Family Share plan only shares cell minutes and texting not data (we have 1400 minutes unlimited texts). Data is separate ($30) for each line. The unlimited data line #1 and 2GB line #2.
I hope this answers your question.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
My T-bolt is on line #1 which has unlimited data and will get an upgrade every odd numbered year. My wife's iphone 4s is on line #2 which is on a 2GB data plan and will get an upgrade in even numbered years.
In even years we use her (line #2) upgrade but in odd years I transfer line #1 upgrade to line #2.
Line #1 never uses upgrade (it's always transferred to line #2 to make purchase) so plan on line #1 stays the same and keeps unlimited data.
Family Share plan only shares cell minutes and texting not data (we have 1400 minutes unlimited texts). Data is separate ($30) for each line. The unlimited data line #1 and 2GB line #2.

Yes! Yes! Yes!:) Now the light bulb flickers on. It was the "Line #1 never uses upgrade (it's always transferred to line #2 to make purchase)" this part that i wasn't sure about. My wife can upgrade 2 months before i do. She'll get a new phone, activate it, and then two months later i'll transfer my upgrade to her. Then, she'll purchase another phone and activate it with her line again. After that, we'll just swap lines and phones (rinkrat said the new phone had to activated using the "line 2"). It's so simple, it's genius. I guess the real tricky part is seeing if i can 'convince' the wife to let me use her upgrade first, instead of the other way around LOL.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

So do you basically transfer the Tbolt upgrade to your wife's line and then use the newly transferred upgrade to make a new phone purchase and then move the new phone back to the original Tbolt line?

I guess I am still a little confused at this strategy. In my situation, I have a my unlimited data tbolt line and a dumb phone line. The dumb phone line is up for upgrade right now and the unlimited tbolt line will be up for upgrade on 11/17. Obviously I do not want to upgrade my tbolt line because I will lose unlimited data so it seems like I will have to use the dumb phone upgrade and then transfer the new phone used on the dumb phone upgrade to my unlimited tbolt line. It seems terribly confusing when typing it all out.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't think of the phones that have upgrades, think of the lines or phone numbers. The phones don't really matter. You can put any compatible phone you own on your unlimited data line and still pay the flat rate as long as you don't change the plan on that line. That's why those that only have one line have to pay the no contract price to keep unlimited data. If they sign a new contract to get the cheaper price they have to go on a new plan because unlimited no longer exists.In your case:
Line #1 (T-bolt) has unlimited data and line #2 ("dumb phone") is on minimum plan. Use line 2 upgrade to buy RAZR Maxx HD (because you have had enough of T-bolt battery issues :)) and place it on your unlimited data Line #1. You can keep the "dumb phone on Line #2. You can now sell your T-bolt on Craig's List or keep it as back-up in case you drop your new RAZR Maxx HD in the hot tub. You now have a 2 yr commitment and Early Termination Fee for the RAZR Maxx HD. If you want another phone using your Line #1 upgrade you can transfer that upgrade to Line #2 and then buy the Galaxy Note 2. You could then place that phone on your unlimited data Line #1. You could move the RAZR Maxx HD to Line #2 (but you would have to then get a smartphone plan for that line that includes data) or sell or retire if 2yr committment is fulfilled.
My wife or I get a new phone every year. She gets an iphone in even years and I get an Android in odd years.
I hope this helps.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So basically I buy the subsidized phone using line 2 upgrade (dumb phone) and just activate it on line 1 (tbolt)? Doesn't that have an effect on the contract because, no matter which upgrade I use, the new phone purchase will still be subsidized and have to have the contract extended of renewed?

And you also do all of this online? Thanks a ton for your help with this as well!

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
So basically I buy the subsidized phone using line 2 upgrade (dumb phone) and just activate it on line 1 (tbolt)? Doesn't that have an effect on the contract because, no matter which upgrade I use, the new phone purchase will still be subsidized and have to have the contract extended of renewed?

And you also do all of this online? Thanks a ton for your help with this as well!

"So basically I buy the subsidized phone using line 2 upgrade (dumb phone) and just activate it on line 1 (tbolt)?" Yes
"Doesn't that have an effect on the contract...?" No
"...no matter which upgrade I use, the new phone purchase will still be subsidized..." This is exactly the loophole we're using to keep unlimited data.:) The important thing to remember is to not upgrade the line/phone# with unlimited data. You can activate/use any phone you want on the line/phone# with unlimited data. That's the part i think you're getting confused with.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
RedCat has it.

To keep your unlimited data you can not make any changes to the plan on that line. So you can't use the upgrade on THAT line.
You either keep the current phone on that line or acquire another phone and activate on the unlimited data line.
Those with a single line have no choice but to pay non-subsidized price through carrier, retailer such as Best Buy, or resale market such as ebay or CraigsList, and then activate on unlimited line.
Those of us with 2 or more lines can use the upgrades of the other line(s) to buy subsidized handsets.
Just like buying through ebay or unsubsidized at Best Buy, once you get the handset it can be activated on any of your lines.
So bottom line is:
Don't ever use an upgrade to buy a subsidized phone on your unlimited data line.
Do use your upgrades on your other lines to buy phones you want to activate om your unlimited plan line.
Also, you can transfer your upgrade from your unlimited data line to your other line(s) to purchase subsidized phones.
I have my two upgrades staggered so that I have an upgrade available to me every year. Those of you with kids using cell phones could have multiple upgrades available every year.
If you have more than one line you should have no problem maintaining your unlimited plan and still getting a subsidized phone every 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton