Keeping Unlimited Data Question

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
The only way to use an upgrade like this (a stated in OP) would be if you did not have a family plan. You would have to have two separate single line plans

<<<?Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
What this is saying is, when you upgrade your "dumbphone" line, it will be a new 2-year agreement and since you'll be adding data to use the smartphone you will be adding data to the 2nd line for 2 years. Unless you want to pay an early termination fee. Unless you can kill data on a line without any kind of early termination fee, that i'm not 100% sure about.

Again, The Family Share Plan just shares voice minutes, not data.
Once you put the GN2 on the unlimited line you are not subject to an ETF (as long as you keep it 2yrs and you fullfilled the contract of the T-bolt). If you still owe time on the T-bolt you can pay it's small remaining ETF. Once your T-bolt committment is complete You can put whatever you want back on the other line.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm another first day Thunderbolt owner and I only have one line. I gotta find a way to add a line so I can get the 299 price. I'm not too smart either. What's my best option ? Maybe add a dumb phone line ?

Don't think there's a loophole for your situation. I think you're stuck.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Again, The Family Share Plan just shares voice minutes, not data.
Once you put the GN2 on the unlimited line you are not subject to an ETF (as long as you keep it 2yrs and you fullfilled the contract of the T-bolt). If you still owe time on the T-bolt you can pay it's small remaining ETF. Once your T-bolt committment is complete You can put whatever you want back on the other line.

What happens when you remove the Note 2 from the basic line that didn't already have a data plan? I assume you'd have add data to the line for a minute to activate the Note 2 before reactivating the basic phone back on it's original line. That's where there might be an issue I believe.

So what I'm saying is that I don't have data on my basic line right now so in order to do this, I will have to temporarily add data and the only way to do so, as I see it, is to get the newer plans.
Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

S281

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes it will work. You can also do it online, you can see which phone is available for an upgrade and then click a button that says transfer upgrade. You'll be fine.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

This doesn't work, you will lose unlimited data.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
So what I'm saying is that I don't have data on my basic line right now so in order to do this, I will have to temporarily add data and the only way to do so, as I see it, is to get the newer plans.

Bam - that right there is my thing here. My second, dumb phone line has no data plan. I fear if I add, I commit, and then I can't "back out" by doing the switch. At least I fear that. ;-)

If anyone has attempted this - with or without success - please chime in.

primevyl

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Full retail if you're serious about keeping unlimited. I have bought a phone full retail for my wife. It was UNpleasant...but the ongoing expense of what my bill would be vs. the one time cut was a no-brainer

<<<?Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get a chance to chat with a Verizon Rep today to ask them about the basic phone data issue however I did get a chance to play with a Note 2. Simply put, I'm getting it subsidized or full retail. Beautiful screen and as far as size is concerned it didn't feel nearly as large as one would suspect.

Anyone else have any input on upgrading a family share plan with a basic line as the current secondary?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You will be fine. I have 2 smartphones, mine with unlimited data, an iphone with the 300mb plan, and 2 dumb phones. I have used one of the dumb phones to buy a Rezound for $50 on upgrade last year and switched it to my line. The dumb phone line does not have to pay a data charge on the old family share plans.

Bam - that right there is my thing here. My second, dumb phone line has no data plan. I fear if I add, I commit, and then I can't "back out" by doing the switch. At least I fear that. ;-)

If anyone has attempted this - with or without success - please chime in.

bladerealm124

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat as many of you in here, day one Thunderbolt owner looking to upgrade to a Galaxy Note 2 while keeping my unlimited data. I am currently in a family plan with unlimited data on my line along with two dumb phones. Just went through a live chat with a verizon rep who seemed uninformed at first but after copying part of the chat posted above by Chuckawd she understood what I was talking about and then proceeded to tell me I shouldn't have any issue temporarily upgrading a dumb phone line and then immediately switching it back and removing the data plan. She even stated that I shouldn't be charged for the data plan although it's possible that I may receive a charge for a single month. Here's the chat:

Britt R.: Hello, my name is Brittney! How may I assist you with your order today?
Noah: I am currently in a family share plan and my line is grandfathered with unlimited data for my HTC Thunderbolt, I am looking to upgrade to a galaxy note 2 at the end of this month but am worried about losing my unlimited data
Britt R.: Good afternoon, Noah!
Britt R.: With the upgrade at discounted price, the unlimited data won't carry over, though most of our users don't exceed the 2GB data plan and there is still handy unlimited data on wifi networks!
Noah: I have heard that as long as I use the upgrade for a different line I should not lose my unlimited data plan, but the part I am confused about is that my other two lines do not have data plans so if I were to use one of those to upgrade would there be an issue moving from a "dumb phone" to a smart phone?
Noah: But I wouldn't be using my line to upgrade
Noah: I would use one of my other 2 non-unlimited lines, activate them, then simply deactivate them after and reactivate my note 2 on my line
Britt R.: This would mean you would need to change the data plans.
Britt R.: PLan*
Noah: I have been told that this can be done by another representative
Noah: since I wouldn't be using the upgrade on my line
Britt R.: But with activating the other line without data then putting the new phone on your line, the 2GB data plan would carry over.
Noah: But what if I were to activate the other line first, then deactivate it and switch them? Another rep has said this was possible
Noah: I will copy what he said
Noah: You: I would love to get it pre ordered but need to assure that the way in which I will be using an upgrade to purchase it will not knock me off my unlimited data plan Scott: The line that is the basic phone and eligible to upgrade, you'd want to upgrade that line directly to the phone. This will keep unlimited data on your line. Scott: Once you receive the phone, activate it on the line, then take the basic phone that was on it and re-activate it onto that line. Scott: This now has the Note 2 de-activated, ready to be activated on your line, keeping your unlimited data. You: AWESOME!! So to verify, if I was to pre order online, would I use the upgrade for my basic line, recieve the phone, activate it onto my main unlimited line and then re activate the basic phone back onto its original line? Scott: Close. Scott: You'd activate it on the basic phone line first. You: Darn, I get so confused when trying to figure this out Scott: The line it you used to upgrade to it. Scott: 1. Upgrade the line that is directly eligible now (Basic phone line). 2. When the phone arrives, activate it as if you want it on this basic phone line. Scott: 3. Now that you did that you have the old basic phone de-activated. Re-activate the basic phone on it's old line. 4. Now you have the Note 2 de-activated ready to be activated on your line.
Britt R.: Please give me a couple minutes to read this.
Noah: Thank you, sorry it is formatted so messy
Britt R.: Haha no worries!
Britt R.: Okay, I see what you are saying now! This helps clarify! Yes, you will be able to do this to keep the unlimited data!
Noah: Yes sorry it is such a confusing issue
Noah: But my confusion is
Noah: Since my other two lines are "dumb phones"
Britt R.: Oh, no problem!
Noah: and I will be temporarily activating a smartphone on one of the lines
Noah: will this cause me to have to get a new data plan for one of those lines?
Noah: And if this is the case will I be able to cancel that new data plan after the first month?
Noah: Or is there some way around this problem?
Britt R.: No, once you activate the Note 2 on the one basic line then reactivate the basic phone, it would drop the other data plan and you would just have the unlimited on your line.
Noah: Because as far as I know I would need a data plan for it since I'd be upgrading from a dumb phone to a smartphone temporarily, but it would only be for a day
Noah: So would I be charged for the data plan even if I cancel it immediately?
Noah: Or would I be able to just negate that charge since I would literally only have it for a day or less
Britt R.: You should not have any cost for that "new" data plan since you will activate right back to the basic line and no data would be used.
Britt R.: If anything, it might be the one month cost but you shouldn't even have this.
Noah: Cool thank you this is what I wanted to clarify
Noah: And it shouldn't affect my contract at all correct? Just simply extend it?
Britt R.: Sure thing! May I assist you with walking through the pre order as well today? Right, it would just renew your line plan for the 2 years, no other changes.
Noah: That's ok I am still not 100% positive that I want the Note 2 until I take a look at it, but I appreciate the help
Britt R.: There is the 14 day return policy that is always handy for seeing the new phone and using it first hand, then returning if it is not up to par!
Noah: I understand but I would still rather take a look before finalizing a purchase
Noah: But thank you for clarifying that
Britt R.: You're welcome. This phone isn't in stores at this time either, so you are aware.
Noah: Yes I am aware I will be looking at it as soon as it releases. Do you know when it will be released? I have heard November 29th but don't know if that is official.
Britt R.: This is what I have heard, though I don't have the exact date to say yes, 100%.
Noah: Thank you
Britt R.: You're welcome!
Noah: Is there any way to have this chat emailed to me in case I encounter any issues?
Noah: If I do decide to go through with the purchase that is
Britt R.: Sure thing! Once you end chat today you will have the survey and e-mail option.
Noah: Thank you so much
Britt R.: No problem!
Britt R.: May I assist you with getting any new accessories for the current phones today as well perhaps?
Noah: No that's ok
Noah: Thank you though
Noah: Have a great day
Britt R.: You're welcome!
Britt R.: Is there anything else I may assist you with here online at this time?
Noah: No that's all for today
Britt R.: Thank you for visiting Verizon Wireless; it’s been a pleasure chatting with you. Have a great day!
Noah: Thank you, you too
Britt R.: Thank you!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon will prorate the charge, if you used it for 1 day, you will pay for 1 days service.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The following is from another post that I started in the Carrier subforum. I will link that post directly when I get home.

They won't force you to the Share Everything plan. They only will force you to have teired data on any new line or any line that you use the upgrade on. If you do like what I did (and Dream S Ti), you can add a new line of service to your plan which will get tiered data (temporarily) and the move it to your unliminited line. You can then drop the tiered data off of the new line of service after you add it to a basic phone and then you can just throw that phone in the drawer. This will raise your bill a little b/c you're now paying $10 for a phone, but for some (including myself), it is still cheaper than moving to Share Everything.

Dave_k605

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
This method of upgrading does work, the? I'd for how long till big red pulls the plug.

Won't be long, that's a promise.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
You are just transferring upgrades from one line or phone number to another. Once you do that and get the phone, you can place any of your phones on any of your lines without changing your plan.
It is altering your plan that kills unlimited data. As long as you have an upgrade and you stay on Family Share you should be fine.

There's no such thing as transferring an upgrade. Upgrading is extending the contract of a given line but activating its respectively subsidized phone purchase on ANY of your other lines, thus using the data plan on said line.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
This method of upgrading does work, the? I'd for how long till big red pulls the plug.
Won't be long, that's a promise.

Well this loophole only works in a specific situation, a grandfathered family share plan that has a line with unlimited data and a line with a regular data plan. It's not a guarantee that Verizon will put a stop to it. They'd be smart not to end it, seeing as these are probably some of their most "tenured" customers.

There's no such thing as transferring an upgrade. Upgrading is extending the contract of a given line but activating its respectively subsidized phone purchase on ANY of your other lines, thus using the data plan on said line.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

What are you talking about?:confused: The only thing that changes when you transfer an upgrade is the Start/End Date of the contracts (2 year) of the lines involved with the transfer. This is a conversation i had today:
You are now chatting with 'Erica F. '
Erica F. : Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: Hello I have a question about transferring upgrades.
Erica F. : I'd be happy to assist you.
Erica F. : To better assist you today, could you please provide me with your full name and number?
You: What exactly changes when that happens? Do the contract dates change for both lines?
Erica F. : The only things that change would be the dates each line would be able to upgrade. The contract on the line that you would be upgrading would be at a new 2yr contract.
Erica F. : Do you have a particular phone in mind today for your upgrade?
You: Oh, I'm not upgrading until next year but I wanted to understand this process.
You: So only the contract dates change for each line?
Erica F. : This is correct.
You: Well that seems simple enough. Thank you for your help.
Erica F. : You are very welcome!!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget fees and taxes. For me, that is 4-5 more per line

The following is from another post that I started in the Carrier subforum. I will link that post directly when I get home.

They won't force you to the Share Everything plan. They only will force you to have teired data on any new line or any line that you use the upgrade on. If you do like what I did (and Dream S Ti), you can add a new line of service to your plan which will get tiered data (temporarily) and the move it to your unliminited line. You can then drop the tiered data off of the new line of service after you add it to a basic phone and then you can just throw that phone in the drawer. This will raise your bill a little b/c you're now paying $10 for a phone, but for some (including myself), it is still cheaper than moving to Share Everything.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey here's another question. What happens to the upgrade date of the dumb phone? I assume it changes to two years out when we do this, right? So I can only pull this once per dumb phone line per two year period...

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have a launch day Thunderbolt and I am planning on moving to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 once it arrives. I do still have unlimited data on my line. I also have a basic phone (LG Dare) attached to my account that is month to month and available to upgrade any time. Obviously, I want to keep my unlimited data as I use 4gb per month roughly. Since my basic line is available for an upgrade, would I be able to use it to buy the Gnote 2 at the subsidized price and then move it to my current Thunderbolt line and keep unlimited by doing so?

So, when all is said and done, I would have purchased the Gnote 2 at the subsidized price using my basic line upgrade, moved it to my main line that currently has unlimited data and then put the LG dare back on the basic line.

Only 4gb? Sounds like you'd be fine. I use 14gb. Now I'm someone who is hanging on to his unlimited plan till one of us croaks:)

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Only 4gb? Sounds like you'd be fine. I use 14gb. Now I'm someone who is hanging on to his unlimited plan till one of us croaks:)

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

My days usage fluctuates quite a bit but I still like the comfort zone of unlimited as I would hate having to check my usage all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol