Keeping Unlimited Data Question

Roelito78

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone! Great information here but still a bit confused. I have 2 unlimited data plans and I just ordered a Note 2 at a subzidized price through best buy under my number. Of course my data plan is still unlimitted until my phone comes in and its activated. How should I handle my situation in order to keep the unlimitted data? Should I activate the phone under my second line then activate on mine? Would that work? Thanks in advance!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The line that ordered the phone is the line that will lose unlimited data. If I am understanding you correctly, you bought the phone on your line, so your line would lose unlimited data. If you want to keep unlimited data on your line and have the other line lose unlimited data, then you should upgrade the other line.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So there is no way to keep unlimited data on both lines without having to add a third line?
Correct.the upgraded line will be forced to tiered data if you buy at subsidized 2 year contract pricing. You can either add a line or don't buy a phone on subsidized 2 year pricing.

droidfrk

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
There is no hope for you on contract pricing! If you wanna pay full price for each device then you can keep your unlimited data plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How about if I buy 2 subzidized phones and swap the lines?

Sorry, that won't work. Any line that is upgraded on 2year contract pricing will lose unlimited data. Doesn't matter where you move the phone afterward, or even sell it. The original account that the upgrade was used will lose unlimited data. If you want to buy a phone direct from Verizon and keep unlimited data, you either have to pay full retail or buy CPO, which carries a 1 year warranty and 14 day return policy, but selection is limited. For example, the gs3 is $420. CPO. Which is more expensive than on 2 year subsidized pricing, but you can keep unlimited data. Your other option is to buy from eBay, cl or whatever.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
A physical phone is not needed, or imei or esn. Verizon can manually set it to a phantom line.

Please explain how to do this. I don't think Verizon is going to transfer a number that had a smartphone on it to a ghost phone so I can reduce the cost by 30 bucks a month.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Please explain how to do this. I don't think Verizon is going to transfer a number that had a smartphone on it to a ghost phone so I can reduce the cost by 30 bucks a month.

Yes they will. I have read of multiple people being able to do so. Data charge on the legacy plans are device dependent. Don't tell them you want to save money, just tell them that you want to move the new phone to your line and you don't want a phone on the new line.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S III

daviddong

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone. Please help me.
I have an iPhone 4 and my contract will be end in this April. I want to keep my unlimited data and upgrade to HTC DROID ONE. Can I just buy the phone from amazonwireless.com at full price and let verizon wireless rep to active it? Will I keep my unlimited data by doing this?
Thank you guys. I appreciate your input.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone. Please help me.
I have an iPhone 4 and my contract will be end in this April. I want to keep my unlimited data and upgrade to HTC DROID ONE. Can I just buy the phone from amazonwireless.com at full price and let verizon wireless rep to active it?
yes. Why buy from amazonwireless and not from verizon if you are paying full price? Save on taxes?

Will I keep my unlimited data by doing this?
yes, just be sure and keep checking your account and make sure they don't switch you off. If they do, you can get switched back if you are within 14 days of the switch.

daviddong

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
yes. Why buy from amazonwireless and not from verizon if you are paying full price? Save on taxes?

yes, just be sure and keep checking your account and make sure they don't switch you off. If they do, you can get switched back if you are within 14 days of the switch.

yes. I am living in NJ and thanks to Amazon, there is no taxes here. I will keep my eyes on my account, make sure they won't mess it up.
Thank you. I appreciate your help.

alinvain

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I just came from a Verizon store. I asked about a Galaxy Note 2 for my fiancee's line, which had a dumbphone. I asked the rep if my fiancee didn't like the phone, could I just put this Thunderbolt on her line and transfer the Note to mine? She said yes, but you might have to come here to do that because of the 4G sim cards. So, as I'm going through with the sale, she gets set to open the Note to insert the sim card and I say, can we just switch them now, while you have that open? She looked at me kind of strange and said sure, lets go to a real computer (all this was happening on an iPad). This process took about 10 minutes and she finally says "wanting to keep your unlimited. eh?" and I said "If that's the way that works out, great!" So, I have a brand spankin' new Note on an unlimited line. She has my TB now with a 2GB plan but the odds of her going over are really slim. So, yeah! it works!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
yes. I am living in NJ and thanks to Amazon, there is no taxes here. I will keep my eyes on my account, make sure they won't mess it up.
Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Just an FYI, bought a note 2 for $37 on contract. Even if I didn't want a contract, i could have started a new line of service and pay $350 etf. My price was a fluke through best buy price match error, but I have heard of others getting it for $50. Some stores like amazon will charge a secondary $400 etf though, so make sure to watch out for that if you do the etf method.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just came from a Verizon store. I asked about a Galaxy Note 2 for my fiancee's line, which had a dumbphone. I asked the rep if my fiancee didn't like the phone, could I just put this Thunderbolt on her line and transfer the Note to mine? She said yes, but you might have to come here to do that because of the 4G sim cards. So, as I'm going through with the sale, she gets set to open the Note to insert the sim card and I say, can we just switch them now, while you have that open? She looked at me kind of strange and said sure, lets go to a real computer (all this was happening on an iPad). This process took about 10 minutes and she finally says "wanting to keep your unlimited. eh?" and I said "If that's the way that works out, great!" So, I have a brand spankin' new Note on an unlimited line. She has my TB now with a 2GB plan but the odds of her going over are really slim. So, yeah! it works!

Fyi, if she has no need for a smartphone, just put the dumb phone back on her line so you don't have to pay the data charge on her line.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

kerse89

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
That's not true. A single line plan with grandfathered unlimited data can add a home phone connect voice only line for 20 bucks a month which adds a voice only line to your account. Step 2 is you do an alternate upgrade using the grandfathered line upgrade to up grade the voice only line. Interesting thing is you can upgrade the voice only line to a smart phone WITHOUT Affecting your unlimited data. Step three is do a device only switch and put the home phone conect device back onto the voice only line you added and take the phone you just removed from the voice only line and put it onto the grandfathered unlimited line doing a device only switch. THIS WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR UNLIMITED DATA AT ALL! I work at a verizon premium retailer and I know for a fact it works cause I do it all the time. It's not worth is some but to those who use their phones as a wifi hot spot and use 10+ gigs of data a month it most certainly is.

kerse89

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
@ dpham000. Okay why do open your mouth if your not going to give specific useful info? The tester line esn (also known as ghost line) is: 13800000400

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34