I Think It Knows

Hickory Shampoo

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
My upgrade date is a month away and lately my TB has been increasingly insolent. Lagging, freezing and doing that thing where 4G turns off and on every few seconds. I am convinced my TB is not only sentient, but has registered that I've been browsing AC, looking at new gear and rumors. This has been the first phone I've kept all the way through a contract without getting bored after a year, or so. So it has been a delightful little trooper and even with it's warts, I don't regret my choice. It shows the battle scars of being dropped, nicked and otherwise abused. There's funk collected in it's nooks and crannies.

But I think it knows it's time is near and these fits of rebellion are like the feisty old codger who knows he's going to the nursing home, but won't go without a fight.

NotAnotherSN92

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I assume that my 'Bolt is acting up because it knows it's going to be replaced later this month. That said, any ideas for replacements? Is it still a good investment to get a GNex? I really am trying to stay away from anything with physical navigation keys (so no Droid DNA for me!), and I really want to at least try to get some vanilla Android up in here. Any thoughts?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered the Note 2 a few days ago (scheduled to ship Nov. 27) and so far my Thunderbolt hasn't noticed yet. It's still working like a champ! ;) :p I plan on keeping it though as a backup. Other than the occasional bout of data drops, it works well yet and looks pretty good too with only some minor cosmetic wear on the frame (I'm OCD about my devices :-[). It's going to be hard to move on (it's time though), I'm going to miss the native kickstand and HTC Sense. Considering a kickstand case (not crazy about cases though), so may end up using the Note 2 spare battery charging system that has that function. Considered the HTC DNA, but the non-removable battery is a deal breaker. I've looked at all kinds of info on the Note 2 and it's a beast of a phone! Can't wait to get my hands on it! :)

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered the Note 2 a few days ago (scheduled to ship Nov. 27) and so far my Thunderbolt hasn't noticed yet. It's still working like a champ! ;) :p I plan on keeping it though as a backup. Other than the occasional bout of data drops, it works well yet and looks pretty good too with only some minor cosmetic wear on the frame (I'm OCD about my devices :-[). It's going to be hard to move on (it's time though), I'm going to miss the native kickstand and HTC Sense. Considering a kickstand case (not crazy about cases though), so may end up using the Note 2 spare battery charging system that has that function. Considered the HTC DNA, but the non-removable battery is a deal breaker. I've looked at all kinds of info on the Note 2 and it's a beast of a phone! Can't wait to get my hands on it! :)

RUMOR ALERT!

I went to the local Sprint store today to check out the size of the Note 2. Damn that thing is big! There also happened to be a Samsung rep there (at least I assume he was with Samsung since he was wearing a Samsung pullover and knew what he was talking about) that told me I might want to wait till the S4 comes out at the end of February. He threw out some specs: 5" HD edge to edge screen, Exynos 5250 quad core processor, better gpu than than the S3, 32 GB of ROM, 2 GB of RAM, removable battery, sd slot. Take that for what it's worth; I'm not putting a ton of stock into it since I'm not totally sure who he was. However, he has piqued my interest enough that I might pass on the Note 2 and wait for the announcement he says will come at the end of January.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I am due for an upgrade this month and my T-Bolt is running better than ever. It still looks and feels like brand new too. I am sort of eying the Droid DNA (despite it's seriously stupid name), but I really feel there is no rush to go through the hassle of upgrading. Not in a big hurry to spend hundreds of dollars to replace all my accessories!

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
RUMOR ALERT!

I went to the local Sprint store today to check out the size of the Note 2. Damn that thing is big! There also happened to be a Samsung rep there (at least I assume he was with Samsung since he was wearing a Samsung pullover and knew what he was talking about) that told me I might want to wait till the S4 comes out at the end of February. He threw out some specs: 5" HD edge to edge screen, Exynos 5250 quad core processor, better gpu than than the S3, 32 GB of ROM, 2 GB of RAM, removable battery, sd slot. Take that for what it's worth; I'm not putting a ton of stock into it since I'm not totally sure who he was. However, he has piqued my interest enough that I might pass on the Note 2 and wait for the announcement he says will come at the end of January.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

this sounds awesome. esp since even though im eligible for an upgrade now, im going to vegas in april. if i win in vegas ill be buying the S4

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
for those who dont really want to upgrade just yet, maybe try a new battery door or even a new battery. most of my problems ive had lately went away with a new battery door. esp if you were like me and constantly changing batteries and taking the door off and putting it back on. im not guaranteeing it works, but if it does, its $7 vs the price of a new phone

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
RUMOR ALERT!

Initially I was concerned about the size of the Note 2, but it's actually very comfortable in my hand (unlike the original Note) and weighs about the same as the Thunderbolt (with the standard battery). The Note 2 is a bit narrower than the original Note thus why it fits in the hand better. I read that's something Samsung tried to address based on feedback. But what I really like about the Note 2 is the 5.5" screen and the S-Pen (something I?d guess the S4 probably won?t have). I used to think the 4.3" screen on my Thunderbolt was just about the perfect size, but now it seems small. :eek: The S4 does sound interesting and will be a great option for those who need/want to wait, but it's too far off for me. I want to move on now as the Thunderbolt feels a bit long in the tooth to me despite it still working well. That was emphasized even more with how much better the Note 2 performs/operates. It?s so much smoother and quicker due to its better hardware specs and Jelly Bean's project butter and the TouchWiz Nature UX is surprisingly light weight and appealing unlike its past versions. :eek: Anyway, there are certainly some great phones out now or forthcoming for everyone to choose from! :)

Hickory Shampoo

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
And the issues continue to pile on...

Yesterday, it froze to the point I needed another battery pull. This is a big deal to me, as I rarely have needed this in the past, but have been doing it once a week, recently. I've also been having connectivity problems with data. I get a full-signal 4G indicator, yet apps like Facebook, Instagram, etc say I need a network. My wife's Droid 4 chugs along like a champ just a few feet away.

I've deleted apps I don't use and cleared the cache on everything. I moved all the apps I could from the phone to the card. But it seems every day it gets a little worse. The silver lining is that I'll be out of the country for the last half of November, making the wait seem a little easier.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
That damn phone absolutely knows. I was looking at phones last week (just for enjoyment, not due for an upgrade yet) and my Tbolt dies this week. I didn't even think of that until today. This [censored] phone won't even let you window shop! Anyways, i was originally thinking that i would try to negotiate for a discount on the SG3, say $100 (it's currently $200). But after reading mighty's RUMOR ALERT, maybe i'll just get a Rezound as a replacement and then get the SG4 when it's time for the "traditional" upgrade. Hmmm...

Hickory Shampoo

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It's getting nasty. Tonight, clicking on the Instagram icon opens Facebook. After reading redcat22's post, I'm wondering if it took offense to my visit to the VZ store this morning. All I did was go in to ask about a global phone loaner for an upcoming trip, FFS!

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Not only do these TBs know ... I think they're all in cahoots. I swear, I've had the laggiest day EVER with mine today, and it wasn't until after I started to read this thread. Too bizarre.

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Curses! I couldn't get a Rezound. My "like new" certified Tbolt will be delivered tomorrow. Long story short, if the replacement Tbolt breaks i should be able to get a different phone. O:) I'm gonna tell that phone that i never wanted it and i can't wait to get a new phone. I'm gonna look at new phones on the browser everyday. I'll make my wallpaper a picture of the Rezound!

Hickory Shampoo

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Pretty shenanigan-free day til this evening, when it basically gave me the finger and rebooted on it's own. Granted they need a reboot every so often to clear out the cobwebs, but it baffles me. Were I one to wear a tinfoil hat, I'd say HTC and/or Verizon had a timebomb program built-in that makes the TB start acting up close to contract time.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
There might be something to this "I think it knows" stuff. I dropped three calls today which never happens, and the kickstand on my Seidio Active case broke tonight. I tried to appease the phone through ritual sacrifice and chanting, so we'll see if it has any affect.

Hickory Shampoo

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Resurrecting this thread for an update. I've been out of the country for a couple of weeks and took my TB with me. It's not a world phone, so I had to carry a Verizon global loaner, but I carried the TB on my hip as a camera for Instagram, Twitter and Facebook purposes. Anyway...since it was on Airplane Mode for the entire trip, I didn't have any problems. But upon my return, the issues are multiplying and compounding.

- Not sure I mentioned it earlier, but there's a recurring problem wherein the 4G signal flips on and off about every 5 seconds. No 3G. No 1X. Just 4G to nothing and back to 4G. As you may be aware, not only does this interfere with apps that need data, but it also inspires the auto-backup to kick in, which really seems to burden the processor. The whole phone just drags, even with apps that don't need data. Restarting fixes the problem most of the time, but that 10-minute boot time is just the pits.

- Lately, some apps are just downright suffering. I'm not sure if app updates have outgrown the TB's capabilities, or if the old girl is just too tired to run things right. FB works right about 15% of the time. Words With Friends can't find the server. Both work like a champ on my Nexus 7.

- Some app folders stick open and won't close. I have most of my games in a dedicated folder, as well as the online stores I use the most. Often, the folder opens and won't close, which means I can't access anything else on that screen.

*sigh* My upgrade eligibility date is tomorrow, but I'll be in a training class all day. I think I'll head out at lunch to see if Verizon will spot me a day and allow my upgrade today for the DNA.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Mine knows, no doubt about it. About the time I started looking at possible upgrades last week, its LTE radio started to die. Now it's pretty much useless most of the time. Good thing my upgrade comes around on Monday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa