Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40
Like Tree7Likes
  1. #26  

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    The HTC DNA looks like it's going to have a non-removable battery. Some may be ok with that, but for many such as myself, it's a deal breaker. I simply want the CHOICE of being able to swap out for a fresh battery on the fly and tether to a charge only as a last resort. Thus, why I'm going with the Note 2; well the 5.5" screen is killer as well! As to Samsung radios, I too had that concern, but it would appear by all accounts the issue has been addressed with the SGS3 and the Note 2 as their radios work fine.
    The Note 2 is growing on me, and no that's not a shot at its size. I was able to get some hands-on time with the Sprint version this morning, and I came away extremely impressed. I still think it's huge, but I think I'll get used to it like I got used to the Bolt when I moved on from my Blackberry. I doubt I'll pick it up Day 1, but if the guys and girls here on the forums give it promising reviews, I can now see this being my next phone.

    Like Synycalwon, I'd be much more interested in the DNA if it had a removable battery, but that's also a deal breaker with me. Kind of a bummer cause I would have preferred to stay with HTC, but I just don't trust the reported 2020 MaH battery to power that 1080p screen for a full day's use, even with the better power management of the S4 pro. And I'm not always in a position to plug my phone in and would rather not carry a portable charging brick with me.
  2. #27  

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    I'm pretty sure everything I've read about the DNA has it with a 2500 battery.

    Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    I'm pretty sure everything I've read about the DNA has it with a 2500 battery.

    Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2
    That's definitely better. Thanks for the clarification.



    Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    Quote Originally Posted by mightyfacundo View Post
    That's definitely better. Thanks for the clarification.



    Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    My pleasure. Happy its finally been officially announced. Looking forward to spending some time in a Verizon store soon with the DNA, the Note 2, and the Maxx HD for some serious side-by-side. I've been an HTC guy for a long time, so I want them to have a fair shake.

    Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    Quote Originally Posted by mightyfacundo View Post
    The Note 2 is growing on me, and no that's not a shot at its size. I was able to get some hands-on time with the Sprint version this morning, and I came away extremely impressed. I still think it's huge, but I think I'll get used to it like I got used to the Bolt when I moved on from my Blackberry. I doubt I'll pick it up Day 1, but if the guys and girls here on the forums give it promising reviews, I can now see this being my next phone.

    Like Synycalwon, I'd be much more interested in the DNA if it had a removable battery, but that's also a deal breaker with me. Kind of a bummer cause I would have preferred to stay with HTC, but I just don't trust the reported 2020 MaH battery to power that 1080p screen for a full day's use, even with the better power management of the S4 pro. And I'm not always in a position to plug my phone in and would rather not carry a portable charging brick with me.
    Yah, regardless of the capacity, that non-removable battery just kills any interest for me. I just received my Note 2 spare battery charger and its 3100mAh battery from Samsung and wow is the battery huge. It's not very thick (about the same as the Thunderbolt standard battery), but it dwarfs either Thunderbolt battery (standard or extended). In fact it's almost as large as the Thunderbolt battery door itself.

    Anyway, I don't expect to need the extra battery to make it through a day as there are many, many reports that the Note 2 gets very good battery life (even with heavy use), but it sure is nice to have that fully charged spare ready to go at a moments notice; just swap and go, then throw the depleted one in the charger and go about your business. No need to tether the phone to a cord or have to worry about trying to grab a charge here and there when you can. That's invaluable to me and something I consider a killer feature! What I really like too about the Samsung spare battery charger is that it's pretty slim and can be easily transported (with the battery safely stored inside), can also be charged with any standard micro-USB charging source (ex. car charger, computer USB, or its included wall charger), and functions as a stand for the phone (landscape or portrait) alleviating my fear of losing the Thunderbolt's native kickstand (no kickstand cases for me, hate cases). Previously I'd have to put a spare Thunderbolt battery in my wallet or somewhere in the car and would usually leave the Seidio Multi-function battery charger at home since it's not as portable.
  6. #31  
    k4df4l's Avatar

    Posts
    37 Posts
    ROM
    Tshed

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    Launch bolt here too....my upgrade is only a couple days away but I'm not sure where I'm going to go next. My wife is really anxious to ditch her droid pro (coming from BB, she needed a physical keyboard) and will take just about anything else. Probably want to stick w/ VZ since they have probably the best network in our area and the LTE is everywhere I go. Between Nusense, Thundershed and Liquidsmooth & a spare battery, I can hang with this for a while longer. Coming from the iphone universe to the bolt, the OTA updates were beyond frustrating however the community has been nothing short of fantastic; providing some great ROMs to make this phone enjoyable and a better experience than HTC/VZ could provide. Thanks again for all those reboots and data drops guys, that was lots of fun!
  7. #32  

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    I was curious to know which ROM you feel has given you the best tbolt performance? I've held off rooting all this time and I'm finally considering it to see if will "extend" the life my of tbolt, which I've had since day one. Also my upgrade is coming up soon, so why not give rooting a shot.
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    I too am a launch day Thunderbolt owner - this was my first Android device/smartphone. I guess I was lucky in that my Tbolt never gave me problems. It remains stock and I'll keep it till it dies. I do have my eye on the new DNA and am patiently waiting for reviews on the battery life.
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    Quote Originally Posted by droser2000 View Post
    I was curious to know which ROM you feel has given you the best tbolt performance? I've held off rooting all this time and I'm finally considering it to see if will "extend" the life my of tbolt, which I've had since day one. Also my upgrade is coming up soon, so why not give rooting a shot.
    I've tried pretty much every ROM available, and I finally settled on Thundershed 1.6 with ADW Launcher EX instead of Go Launcher. I easily make it all day and then some with moderate to heavy use on the extended battery. And more importantly, I've overclocked slightly and changed the governor to "performance" which makes my bolt run very smooth.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    Bobman likes this.
  10. #35  
    k4df4l's Avatar

    Posts
    37 Posts
    ROM
    Tshed

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    Quote Originally Posted by droser2000 View Post
    I was curious to know which ROM you feel has given you the best tbolt performance? I've held off rooting all this time and I'm finally considering it to see if will "extend" the life my of tbolt, which I've had since day one. Also my upgrade is coming up soon, so why not give rooting a shot.
    Yeah, Tshed 1.6 w/ Zoom kernel is pretty fast and stable w/ good battery life. Sure, it's GB and not ICS but it's mighty quick. I find myself missing the speed and going back after playing around w/ the various ICS ROMs for a while.
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  
    Bobman's Avatar

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    I agree. I've been on Thundershed for some time now. It is a winner in my book.
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    These forums have been great for me as well (and continue to be, best Android site IMO!). I also have a launch day Thunderbolt that is still working well and was in no hurry to replace it even though Ive had an upgrade available for about a year now. But recently it just feels a bit long in the tooth and I'm ready to move on. After looking at the Note 2 extensively, decided to go for it and pre-ordered it last Friday from Verizon (best network coverage where I live and still have unlimited data, so not giving those up!). It's not scheduled to ship until Nov. 27, but as the ol' expession goes: Good things come to those who wait!
    Well, it's official, have the Note 2 in hand (since early yesterday) and the Thunderbolt has been retired to the night stand drawer as a back up (happy and sad at the same time ). After 24 hours with the Note 2, I have to say "WOW", what a night and day difference. So far, the Note 2 data connection is solid as a rock, only dropped to 3G once for a couple minutes, but immediately picked back up to LTE. And just wow, battery life is phenomenal; currently at 3 hours of screen on time with 60% battery left! And have a fully charged spare waiting in the wings to swap and go. It hasn't had the slightest hiccup at anything I've thrown at it either. It's buttery smooth and FAST! The 5.5" screen is beautiful, bright and crisp; everything looks great on it! Size wise, the phone is easy to hold in portrait mode and for me in landscape as well (that may be hard for those with smaller hands though). The phone feels slightly lighter than the Thunderbolt with the standard battery, but at the same time the build quality feels very good; doesn't feel cheap at all. I'm really loving the stock browser it comes with, seems to be very similar to the AOSP browser that I find runs circles around Chrome on my Nexus 7 (which is why it's disabled and has the AOSP browser instead). The Note 2 stock browser is fast and smooth, has text overflow (double click, it zooms in to fit text on the screen) like the Thunderbolt's browser and supports the same bookmarks I had on the Thunderbolt, so was able to bring them over without a problem. The Note 2 also has a built-in file manager (called My Files), so no need to download one anymore. It allows you to browse and manipulate any files/folders on the internal storage and the SD card. Sweet! Need more time with the S-Pen (never used one before), but it has some very cool functions, look forward to learn all its tricks.

    Anyway, sorry didn't mean to get too much into the Note 2 stuff, but wanted to share a bit for those who may still be on the fence with it. I'm going to miss hanging around the Thunderbolt forums. I still find myself checking in on them though, but will be primarily over in the Note 2 forums. Thank you to all who have helped me with the Thunderbolt. I can't say how much I've enjoyed sharing the ride with all of you. It's been fun, look forward to seeing you around the forums. This place (AC) is awesome!
    Last edited by Synycalwon; 11-30-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Bobman 
    Bobman and Spacemaker24 like this.
  13. #38  

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Well, it's official, have the Note 2 in hand (since early yesterday) and the Thunderbolt has been retired to the night stand drawer as a back up (happy and sad at the same time ). After 24 hours with the Note 2, I have to say "WOW", what a night and day difference. So far, the Note 2 data connection is solid as a rock, only dropped to 3G once for a couple minutes, but immediately picked back up to LTE. And just wow, battery life is phenomenal; currently at 3 hours of screen on time with 60% battery left! And have a fully charged spare waiting in the wings to swap and go. It hasn't had the slightest hiccup at anything I've thrown at it either. It's buttery smooth and FAST! The 5.5" screen is beautiful, bright and crisp; everything looks great on it! Size wise, the phone is easy to hold in portrait mode and for me in landscape as well (that may be hard for those with smaller hands though). The phone feels slightly lighter than the Thunderbolt with the standard battery, but at the same time the build quality feels very good; doesn't feel cheap at all. I'm really loving the stock browser it comes with, seems to be very similar to the AOSP browser that I find runs circles around Chrome on my Nexus 7 (which is why it's disabled and has the AOSP browser instead). The Note 2 stock browser is fast and smooth, has text overflow (double click, it zooms in to fit text on the screen) like the Thunderbolt's browser and supports the same bookmarks I had on the Thunderbolt, so was able to bring them over without a problem. The Note 2 also has a built-in file manager (called My Files), so no need to download one anymore. It allows you to browse and manipulate any files/folders on the internal storage and the SD card. Sweet! Need more time with the S-Pen (never used one before), but it has some very cool functions, look forward to learn all its tricks.

    Anyway, sorry didn't mean to get too much into the Note 2 stuff, but wanted to share a bit for those who may still be on the fence with it. I'm going to miss hanging around the Thunderbolt forums. I still find myself checking in on them though, but will be primarily over in the Note 2 forums. Thank you to all who have helped me with the Thunderbolt. I can't say how much I've enjoyed sharing the ride with all of you. It's been fun, look forward to seeing you around the forums. This place (AC) is awesome!
    Enjoy the new phone! Great to hear it's starting out so well!

    Sent from my HTC Droid DNA via Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  14. #39  
    k4df4l's Avatar

    Posts
    37 Posts
    ROM
    Tshed

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    Yeah, enjoy the Note2. I had a consultant stop by the other day and he had one....needless to say, I was pestering him to check it out as soon as I saw it. I'm a little conflicted on the size though. Granted, it's proportions are such that it's not to bad pocket but I think I want to stick with something just a little smaller. Right now it looks like the S3 for me and the Razr Max for my wife are the top contenders.
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  
    Bobman's Avatar

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts

    Default Re: Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

    Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Well, it's official, have the Note 2 in hand (since early yesterday) and the Thunderbolt has been retired to the night stand drawer as a back up (happy and sad at the same time ). After 24 hours with the Note 2, I have to say "WOW", what a night and day difference. So far, the Note 2 data connection is solid as a rock, only dropped to 3G once for a couple minutes, but immediately picked back up to LTE. And just wow, battery life is phenomenal; currently at 3 hours of screen on time with 60% battery left! And have a fully charged spare waiting in the wings to swap and go. It hasn't had the slightest hiccup at anything I've thrown at it either. It's buttery smooth and FAST! The 5.5" screen is beautiful, bright and crisp; everything looks great on it! Size wise, the phone is easy to hold in portrait mode and for me in landscape as well (that may be hard for those with smaller hands though). The phone feels slightly lighter than the Thunderbolt with the standard battery, but at the same time the build quality feels very good; doesn't feel cheap at all. I'm really loving the stock browser it comes with, seems to be very similar to the AOSP browser that I find runs circles around Chrome on my Nexus 7 (which is why it's disabled and has the AOSP browser instead). The Note 2 stock browser is fast and smooth, has text overflow (double click, it zooms in to fit text on the screen) like the Thunderbolt's browser and supports the same bookmarks I had on the Thunderbolt, so was able to bring them over without a problem. The Note 2 also has a built-in file manager (called My Files), so no need to download one anymore. It allows you to browse and manipulate any files/folders on the internal storage and the SD card. Sweet! Need more time with the S-Pen (never used one before), but it has some very cool functions, look forward to learn all its tricks.

    Anyway, sorry didn't mean to get too much into the Note 2 stuff, but wanted to share a bit for those who may still be on the fence with it. I'm going to miss hanging around the Thunderbolt forums. I still find myself checking in on them though, but will be primarily over in the Note 2 forums. Thank you to all who have helped me with the Thunderbolt. I can't say how much I've enjoyed sharing the ride with all of you. It's been fun, look forward to seeing you around the forums. This place (AC) is awesome!
    Thanks for sharing. I am in 100% agreement! You will find me in the Note 2 forums as well. Love tgis phone so far! I haven't tried the stock browser. I installed Chrome right off, but maybe I should check out the stock browser.

    Ok, see you on the other side (aka Note 2 forums)!

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    Synycalwon likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. New Thunderbolt Owner
    By VCL in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 12:43 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM
  3. Thunderbolt owners, could you please run a Smartbench2011 test?
    By MannyZ28 in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-17-2011, 11:37 AM
  4. Thunderbolt owner in two days
    By Forgetful in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 06:07 PM
  5. soon-to-be thunderbolt owner
    By holophoner in forum Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions