Day 1 Thunderbolt Owner Farewell

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, it has been a journey. We spent many nights of anticipation waiting for the announcement of the Thunderbolts. WAY too many. I bought it on day one, and now my upgrade date quickly approaches.

The Thunderbolt community has been great. You enabled me to extend the life of my bolt with CM7, and I thank you.

It is looking like my next device will be the Galaxy Note 2. The Nexus 4 would be nice, but I don't want to leave Verizon due to my experience with poor network quality with T-mobile and AT&T in my area.

Anyway, it has been a pleasure. I would imagine many of you who bought the Thunderbolt on Day 1 would also be nearing the end of your contracts. Who's with me? And what device are you going to?

fwhomeboy

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
The contract end day is March 2013. Upgrade day is November 17th for me. But, I have to buy my Note 2 full price to keep my unlimited data.

fwhomeboy

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for the AT&T Note 2 to come out and I might jump back over there. I was with AT&T since 1996 and came over to Verizon to get the Thunderbolt and the 4G-LTE because it was supposed to be the Bomb. Well, as we all know, it's time for a change. I'm tired of some things.

1. It was the first 4G-LTE Device with no updates.
2. Had too many Random reboots
3. Battery life was horrible
4. Updates never came as published
5. Mobile Hotspot was refused until I raised hell.
6. My discount was removed until I noticed and raised hell.
7. Now, I Have to pay retail to keep UL data.

It's like Verizon don't really care about keeping customers.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with the Note! It seems like an awesome phone. I think I'm going to try and hold out for the GS4. Even though I'm itching for a new phone, my Bolt is holding up well, so I'm hoping it will last.

But just in case I change my mind, can you report back after you get your Note? I might be enticed to get it instead. :D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
These forums have been great for me as well (and continue to be, best Android site IMO!). I also have a launch day Thunderbolt that is still working well and was in no hurry to replace it even though I?ve had an upgrade available for about a year now. But recently it just feels a bit long in the tooth and I'm ready to move on. After looking at the Note 2 extensively, decided to go for it and pre-ordered it last Friday from Verizon (best network coverage where I live and still have unlimited data, so not giving those up!). It's not scheduled to ship until Nov. 27, but as the ol' expession goes: Good things come to those who wait! :)

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting for the AT&T Note 2 to come out and I might jump back over there. I was with AT&T since 1996 and came over to Verizon to get the Thunderbolt and the 4G-LTE because it was supposed to be the Bomb. Well, as we all know, it's time for a change. I'm tired of some things.

1. It was the first 4G-LTE Device with no updates.
2. Had too many Random reboots
3. Battery life was horrible
4. Updates never came as published
5. Mobile Hotspot was refused until I raised hell.
6. My discount was removed until I noticed and raised hell.
7. Now, I Have to pay retail to keep UL data.

It's like Verizon don't really care about keeping customers.

Yeah, Verizon has definitely frustrated me along the way too. The Thunderbolt was always in a weird position being the first LTE phone. I already lost my unlimited data when I added my wife to my plan and got one of the data share plans. I'm not too worried about that though. We have a 4GB plan and she hardly uses any data at all.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with the Note! It seems like an awesome phone. I think I'm going to try and hold out for the GS4. Even though I'm itching for a new phone, my Bolt is holding up well, so I'm hoping it will last.

But just in case I change my mind, can you report back after you get your Note? I might be enticed to get it instead. :D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

I'll let you know, or check out the Verizon Note 2 forums after the phone comes out. Android Central is definitely the best site and forums, in my opinion, so I won't be going far.

As good as the Note 2 seems to be, I'm just worried that Verizon is going to screw up their version of it some how.

ShamelessMT

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm ready Nov 17th also. After my experience with the Thunderbolt (which hasn't really been that bad, just frustrating at times being the lab rat for the 4G experiment) and my wife's Rezound, (again, not awful, but the GPS sucks for one thing) I'm ready to move on. Furthermore, my Tbolt's digitizer is giving up on me (the right 1/8" of the screen no longer works) starting about 2 weeks ago. It's like it knew it was time to move on...

If the new Nexus were anything but an LG I might be leaving Verizon entirely, but I've had LG products before and have had issues with every one. I'm personally not interested in a phablet, so the Note's out and the only other new phone is the DNA, which doesn't sound very appealing. As it stands, I'm headed to the Motorola Razr Maxx HD.

I remember when the Thunderbolt was about to launch and how excited I was. Now I just feel like I'm picking the lesser of 2 evils (kind of like voting for a president yesterday). Sad.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like I'm just a couple weeks behind you guys.
Still on the fence over next device. I really, really wish the reviews on the Maxx HD's camera were better. I'll need to hold a GN2 before making a decision on it... The DNA should be out about the time I'm ready to upgrade in a few short weeks. Not a bad time to be ready for re-up, that's for sure.

rolo99

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I came to Verizon for the TB from AT&T Blackberry Curve. I'm leaving it to get a Motorola Razr Maxx HD that should be arriving tomorrow. Coming from a phone with one of the worst battery lives on the market & carrying chargers everywhere I go, to one with one of the best battery lives on the market, I'm excited!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
After my thunderbolt, I got the rezound, razr, razr Maxx, and gs3. The thunderbolt was great in that it was the first lte phone,but other than that, it lagged behind other phones in performance, screen, and ,most importantly, it has a subpar radio.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, it has been a journey. We spent many nights of anticipation waiting for the announcement of the Thunderbolts. WAY too many. I bought it on day one, and now my upgrade date quickly approaches.

The Thunderbolt community has been great. You enabled me to extend the life of my bolt with CM7, and I thank you.

It is looking like my next device will be the Galaxy Note 2. The Nexus 4 would be nice, but I don't want to leave Verizon due to my experience with poor network quality with T-mobile and AT&T in my area.

Anyway, it has been a pleasure. I would imagine many of you who bought the Thunderbolt on Day 1 would also be nearing the end of your contracts. Who's with me? And what device are you going to?

I'm withya - Day 1 TB owner. I'm looking at the DNA, Note 2, or RAZR Maxx HD. Right now the DNA is third, but only cuz it ain't out. ;-) I am really torn between the Note 2 and Maxx HD. Played with both (used the S3 in place of the Note 2, close enough for now) in a VZW store for about an hour. I liked the Moto WAY more than I thought I would, and that is clearly the battery life leader of the universe right now. Really not sure which way I'll go, and the DNA will only complicate matters.

Waiting until at least when the DNA comes out, though, so I can give it a fair shake. Not really in a rush. Plus, the TB will probably be downloading ICS the day before I upgrade, so I'll a few hours to play with that. ;-)

flyerchas

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
My T-bolt wouldn't boot up, and Verizon customer support very, very quickly offered to move up my Dec. 13 upgrade date to NOW, which I did. I am now the proud owner of a Motorola Droid Razr HD, with ICS (upgrade to JB - here I go again). Too bad, because I feel the T-bolt is still competitive today. But I will never buy a HTC phone again.

jrf1009

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've enjoyed my TBolt so far. It's still performing well and I've had no problems whatsoever, although the battery life has been a nuisance at times. My contract ends in Feb 13 and I'm trying to decide what's next. I really like the MAXX HD's size and feel, but the camera reviews are a downer. The Note II looks like a great phone but it's just too big, can't imagine carrying it on my hip while the GN4's lack of LTE is a deal breaker. I guess that after a year and a half of watching the battery meter, I'm leaning more towards battery life in my next phone. Eagerly awaiting news of the HTC DNA but if that hits the market with a 2100 mAh battery, I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet on the sub par camera of the MAXX HD. Still have time to decide and you never know what will be announced at CES 2013 in January.

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm withya - Day 1 TB owner. I'm looking at the DNA, Note 2, or RAZR Maxx HD. Right now the DNA is third, but only cuz it ain't out. ;-) I am really torn between the Note 2 and Maxx HD. Played with both (used the S3 in place of the Note 2, close enough for now) in a VZW store for about an hour. I liked the Moto WAY more than I thought I would, and that is clearly the battery life leader of the universe right now. Really not sure which way I'll go, and the DNA will only complicate matters.

Waiting until at least when the DNA comes out, though, so I can give it a fair shake. Not really in a rush. Plus, the TB will probably be downloading ICS the day before I upgrade, so I'll a few hours to play with that. ;-)

The Note 2 has really good battery life too, doesn't it?

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I've enjoyed my TBolt so far. It's still performing well and I've had no problems whatsoever, although the battery life has been a nuisance at times. My contract ends in Feb 13 and I'm trying to decide what's next. I really like the MAXX HD's size and feel, but the camera reviews are a downer. The Note II looks like a great phone but it's just too big, can't imagine carrying it on my hip while the GN4's lack of LTE is a deal breaker. I guess that after a year and a half of watching the battery meter, I'm leaning more towards battery life in my next phone. Eagerly awaiting news of the HTC DNA but if that hits the market with a 2100 mAh battery, I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet on the sub par camera of the MAXX HD. Still have time to decide and you never know what will be announced at CES 2013 in January.

I've definitely enjoyed my TBolt. Battery is a big downer. I just got a new job and can't use WiFi at work anymore and my battery dies in hours if i don't leave it plugged in. So battery life is a big factor in my decision for a new phone too. We need to remember though that any phone will be better at battery life then the Tbolt even if it doesn't have a monster battery. Having said that, I do like that the Note2 has a huge battery (although it is a huge phone that needs that battery).

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I am a day 1 Thunderbolter who has been happy with the phone since day 1. I've been rooted running several ROMs over the last 20 months and it's always been great. Not fantastic but, as an early adopter, I expected some flaws and imperfections.

I will now move onto the Note 2 myself and keep the thunderbolt tucked away as a music player and back up phone.

Also I am just as excited if not more over this Note 2. I'm checking the forums every hour for any update on the phone and people's thoughts etc. Its really terrible but I thoroughly enjoy the months coming up to a phones release especially the last few weeks where it just gets so intense waiting and speculating and the like. So much fun!

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I liked my Thunderbolt from day 1. It's had a few problems and the rebooting thing was a real pain in the arse, but what can you do? We were basically a test group for LTE.

I bought a GS3 off contract last month because I am impatient and I haven't regretted it yet. Man this phone is amazing. Battery life, screen, speed of ICS, thinness, camera, all awesome. Jellybean should make it even better.

Now I know I love the GS3, but the Note 2 has me very curious. It's a jumbo GS3 with upgraded screen and processor. How could that be wrong? I might sell my GS3 and use my Nov 17th upgrade for a Note 2. I am a little weary of the overall size of the device but the people who bought the Note 1 say they got used to the size quickly and now they love it. Being a big guy, 6'8'', the Note looks normal in my hand. Anyway, any advice?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

hancered

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I loved my Thunderbolt as well. Now I am a proud owner or Droid RAZR Maxx HD. I love the battery life. The phone is way more responsive as well. The setup is great. We are upgrading. The whole family to the same phone ad our upgrades get here. We now have 2 RAZR and 2 bolts. The bolts are jealous of the battery.

The bolt was a good phone but it was time to say goodbye to being glued to a charger. It is so freeing to just charge at night.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang