Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Has anyone changed the LCD screen on their phone?

I am about to do this in a bit. I have the how-to YouTube video made by the company that I bought the screen from. So I know technically how to do it, and I've watched a couple other videos on it as well, but I'm curious if anyone has done it? How did it turn out? Did you run into any issues? Did you run into anything that would be a handy tip? Just curious.

ROM
    Tshed

Default Re: Has anyone changed the LCD screen on their phone?

I replaced mine about a year ago w/ a glass/digitizer combo I got off ebay.

It came with a set of 'tools' but they were pretty much bottom barrel trash. Fortunately, I have a set of small precision tools and used those. You can use the ones that come with the screen but just go slow and use a gentle touch.

Extra strength double sided craft tape from Michaels arts and crafts was also handy.

Be careful removing the face plate below the onscreen home/menu/back buttons....you need to place it back and don't want to break the attachment points.

Watch the videos a few times, write down any hints for tricky things you've disassembled or snap a few pics w/ a camera along the way.
    ThunderboltTool Developer

ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

definitely be careful w/ the plastic under the screen i took mine off and now it falls out constantly

Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks guys. I replaced it Friday night. I completely agree with both of you on what you said. That little plastic bit below the screen was a pain to take off, and a pain to put back on. The screen/glass combo that I got came with a pry tool that was a major piece of junk. The pry tool was disintegrating as I was using it. Thankfully, I finished prying when I did, if I had to pry any more I don't think I would have been able to use the tool anymore.

In the end the disassembly and reassembly went smoothly. I actually had two YouTube videos going and went slowly and step by step. The phone is good as new. I am really glad that it worked instead of getting a new phone that I'd have to transfer all my stuff to, when there really isn't a new phone that I want right now.

ROM
    Tshed

Awesome! Sure beats paying for a new off-contract phone.

>>deleted to re-post with quote<<

Quote Originally Posted by DMBMARKT View Post
    Thanks guys. I replaced it Friday night. I completely agree with both of you on what you said. That little plastic bit below the screen was a pain to take off, and a pain to put back on. The screen/glass combo that I got came with a pry tool that was a major piece of junk. The pry tool was disintegrating as I was using it. Thankfully, I finished prying when I did, if I had to pry any more I don't think I would have been able to use the tool anymore.

In the end the disassembly and reassembly went smoothly. I actually had two YouTube videos going and went slowly and step by step. The phone is good as new. I am really glad that it worked instead of getting a new phone that I'd have to transfer all my stuff to, when there really isn't a new phone that I want right now.
    Any chance you could post links to the videos you used to replace the screen/digitizer assembly?
    Thanks!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I looked, but I'm not exactly sure which are the ones that I used. There are a bunch on YouTube. Search on there and you are bound to find one or more that you like and would like to follow.

I used two because one had a little more detail in some parts, and one of them only showed the tear down, but not the reassembly. It helps to go step by step with the reassembly as well to make sure nothing gets screwed up. Good luck. let us know how it turns out. I haven't had any issues since I replaced the screen. It was a highly successful endeavor.

A couple quick tips:
    • Watch the video first to see what you're up against.
    • Get the screen with the glass already attached. Don't try to reuse the glass. It seems like mating the glass to the LCD sucks.
    • Good pry tools are essential. The one that they sent me for free with the screen was junk. It was plastic and I was losing small slivers of it as I was trying to pry. If I had much more to do I wouldn't have been able to use that tool any more because the edge was completely gone and I was getting to a thicker part of the tool.
    • The two toughest parts are taking the rubber piece off below the 4 buttons at the bottom of the phone and reattaching it. And the other is separating the case. Be careful not to break anything.

Good luck

Does anyone recommend a certain seller for a replacement screen?
    Device: Verizon Note2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Does anyone recommend a certain seller for a replacement screen?
    Just saw this now. Not sure if you still need it, but I got mine from a place called repairsuniverse.com. It worked out well. If I can reiterate, get a good pry tool. They will send you a plastic one for free with your purchase, but it sucks. The plastic starts wearing away as you are working with it and soon you are left with a dull nub that can't pry anything. If you are going to use theirs, at the very least get a second one, that should at least get you through the job.