Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pictures disappeared and I'd like to get them back!

I took some pics yesterday with my stock camera (pics of me and my kid on my birthday, so they're somewhat sentimental). I tried to upload some using Friendcaster (since Facebook's app sucks) and 3 loaded fine but the 4th didn't load at all. Got hung up. Couldn't upload it with another app either. After it quit trying and said that the upload failed I went to the gallery to try again. I pressed the pic, pressed the Share link, and my finger slipped on the screen - at which point, it appears, not only that picture but two others disappeared. No prompts to delete or anything. I know on a PC there is the Recycle Bin, and I would imagine that on my Thunderbolt that there is a cache, temp file, or something that might have stored those pictures. Would be really nice to get them back. Any ideas are appreciated.

And FYI - I don't know if this was a Gallery thing, a phone thing, a Friendcaster thing, or what.... or just some crazy fluke. Thanks for the help!
    Palm Treo 755 --> Rooted Droid Eris --> Rooted HTC Thunderdud --> 2012 Google Nexus 7 and rooted Samsung Galaxy S4

Default Re: Pictures disappeared and I'd like to get them back!

I'm guessing that they don't show up back in the gallery after a restart? Have you tried using a file explorer and checking to see if they're in the DCIM file?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yeah, nosed around in the obvious places. Didn't know if there was a cache or temp file or something. Weird how it just removed 3 of them.
    Palm Treo 755 --> Rooted Droid Eris --> Rooted HTC Thunderdud --> 2012 Google Nexus 7 and rooted Samsung Galaxy S4

Bummer. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Hopefully someone else has a better idea of what happened to them.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

Any chance your on Google+? If so check there. My instant upload is really fast and I couldn't stop my pics from uploading even when go there right after I take them.

Sent Probably by Accident....
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I am - haven't checked there, but I think I turned it off. It's weird. I've taken hundreds of pics on my phone, uploaded dozens of those, and never had a problem. And these literally just disappeared. Crazy. Thanks for all the input.

Not that this will retrieve pix if they weren't saved to start with but you might connect your phone to a PC and scan your SD card for errors. The problem may be a failing card which would lead to more file saving and retrieval issues down the road.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by cadzilla74 View Post
    Not that this will retrieve pix if they weren't saved to start with but you might connect your phone to a PC and scan your SD card for errors. The problem may be a failing card which would lead to more file saving and retrieval issues down the road.
    I'd also sign up for a Dropbox account and install that on your phone. Google Plus makes backup copies of the pictures, but they are at reduced quality. Dropbox's autosync uploads the entire, full-quality image. I take the pictures off my phone every few weeks and delete them from Dropbox at the same time to manage space, but it's nice having a near-instant backup of the images I take.

PS: I don't know if this will be seen as spammy, and I hope it isn't, but Dropbox offers extra space for you if you use a referral link, and if you use my referral link they give me extra space, too.

If you happen to be interested in trying it out, I'd appreciate it if you used this link to sign up: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTcxMDc1MTU5OQ

Try downloading SD card rescan. I had that problem on an old phone and the app helped.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2