Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

ROM
    Infected Eternity/stock

Default Re: Launch Day Thunderbolters

Quote Originally Posted by chuckawd View Post
    Well if you were like me and got your Tbolt on launch day, most of us are able to use an upgrade today!! Are any of my fellow friends going to burn an upgrade and lose unlimited for the DNA or Note 2? Or is your Bolt still going strong and you're hanging on?

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt
    I switched to T-Mobile and got the S3 (for free after a good ol' mail in rebate). I told the employee in-store straight up when I went in for an upgrade that if I can't keep my unlimited data without buying a phone outright that I was switching to t-mobile while they were having this amazing sale. So yeah. I did that.

Thunderbolt is a toy now though! I'm a bit excited for that part of its life

Edit: I would like to add, however, that my phone is still in 100% perfect working condition! Other than the kick stand peeling, it is also in flawless physical condition! It had a good 4G LTE able lifespan!
    Thunderbolt Saga > Brett Favre Saga

ROM
    BAMF

Had a TB on day 1 and while I loved it, I am now a proud DNA owner! Love the DNA. It is such an awesome phone. Makes me not even remember my TB! HAHAHA
    akira751 and hannsoft like this.

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock(for now)

Bought the Thunderbolt March 20th, 2011. Wanted to love it so bad.

Couldn't though. Constant problems since I owned the phone. I was on my 3rd replacement, still constant data drops, WiFi problems, battery issues, even the SD Card(the first TBolt I had had a faulty SD Card and the phone wouldn't read it). It reached a point, after 3 failed updates(the first update caused a million reboots, the 2nd killed battery life[although reducing the reboots somewhat], and the Gingerbread update broke Voicemail notifications. And Tbolters are still waiting for a promised ICS upgrade(a year-old OS at this point).

I bought a Motorola RAZR HD today. We'll see how good this phone is...gonna monitor the battery life; see how it does. Everyone I know who owns a RAZR(Maxx/HD or not) loves it.
    Nokia 918->StarTAC->AV CDM4000->Moto T270c->AV CDM8900->LG the V->Chocolate->Voyager->BB Curve 8330->OG Droid->Thunderbolt->RAZR HD->Sammy GS4.
    johnriii likes this.

I have a launch day 'bolt and it's now on it's third battery. I'm pretty much wanting to chuck it somewhere due to it dying although I'm doing my best to hang on as long as possible having put a aosp rom on it running ICS. Just need to scrape up the funds for RAZR MAXX HD.

Quote Originally Posted by OmahaBrotha View Post
    Just need to scrape up the funds for RAZR MAXX HD.
    It's $175 at Amazon. Bought one myself. Upgraded/activated perfectly.

Jumped ship and got myself a Droid RAZR Maxx. Don't regret it for a minute.
    johnriii likes this.
    7UP

I too have loved my T-Bolt. Only one exchange in the last two years. No real problems to speak of but yes, its "old" now. But it was and still is a good phone.

Quote Originally Posted by njgsx96 View Post
    Had a TB on day 1 and while I loved it, I am now a proud DNA owner! Love the DNA. It is such an awesome phone. Makes me not even remember my TB! HAHAHA
    Same here.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

ROM
    Thundershed v1.6

I'm finally starting to get the wicked data drops and boy are they frequent. What's funny and coincidental is that I never had any sort of data drop up until this weekend...1 day after I was available for upgrade. Strange. Oh well. Note 2 preordered and hopefully on its way this week.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Not a day 1 TB'er but a couple months after. I recently got a Razr Maxx HD and LOVE it! Battery alone was worth the switch. I still look around to plug it in somewhere but then I remember that I don't need to!
    am4966 and johnriii like this.

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts

Day one owner and have zero interest in going anywhere anytime soon. Still love my T-Bolt as it does everything i need and still runs like a well oiled machine.

Is there anyone here besides me that is considering moving on from phones and relying on a small wifi-only (or data-only) tablet for their communication needs? I have a tablet at home on which I make and recieve phone calls, and carry with me an iPad on which I can make and recieve phone calls when connected via wifi. (In both cases, I use a combination of google voice, skype, and various apps to make all this work. Works great for texting, as well.)

One can go with a data-enabled tablet ($10 per month versus $40 for phone) or a wifi tablet with jet pack ($20 per month). There are several advantages to this besides plan savings: devices are cheaper and not necessarily limited to those available from verizon. The downside appears to be increased use of data (for voice), increased workload for device management (keeping more devices charged) and tracking/carrying multiple devices at times.

I am shopping for that perfect 5" tablet to go in my pocket for when I am traveling around without my bag of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
    Is there anyone here besides me that is considering moving on from phones and relying on a small wifi-only (or data-only) tablet for their communication needs? I have a tablet at home on which I make and recieve phone calls, and carry with me an iPad on which I can make and recieve phone calls when connected via wifi. (In both cases, I use a combination of google voice, skype, and various apps to make all this work. Works great for texting, as well.)

One can go with a data-enabled tablet ($10 per month versus $40 for phone) or a wifi tablet with jet pack ($20 per month). There are several advantages to this besides plan savings: devices are cheaper and not necessarily limited to those available from verizon. The downside appears to be increased use of data (for voice), increased workload for device management (keeping more devices charged) and tracking/carrying multiple devices at times.

I am shopping for that perfect 5" tablet to go in my pocket for when I am traveling around without my bag of junk.
    I was going to do just that. A flip phone for calls/texts and a 3/4G enabled tablet for everything else.

Then I realized what a pain in the *** it would be to have to carry both devices everywhere since I don't carry a briefcase/backpack. And the only reason I was really doing it was to save some dollars.

Nah. Got a Razr Maxx HD instead.

Had gone to the Nexus in April but broke the screen in September. Back on the TB until now. Note 2 is my destination in the next couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by steve0617 View Post
    I was going to do just that. A flip phone for calls/texts and a 3/4G enabled tablet for everything else.

Then I realized what a pain in the *** it would be to have to carry both devices everywhere since I don't carry a briefcase/backpack. And the only reason I was really doing it was to save some dollars.

Nah. Got a Razr Maxx HD instead.
    But you don't have to carry both. My suggestion was not to get a tablet AND a dumb phone, but a small tablet to REPLACE my phone. If you need your tablet, it is completely capable of making phone calls and sending texts.

Saving dollars is not trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by oberkc View Post

That is much to much hassle for me.
    My perfect 5.5" tablet is the Galaxy Note 2. I plan on getting one in the next 2 weeks after you opening day'ers fix all the bugs and work out the kinks.
    I did the same thing with my T-Bolt.
    2 weeks after launch I knew of the battery issues and purchased my Bolt with extended battery. I haven't had any issues since.

I considered the MAXX HD but after all of the upgrade angst I went through with the T-Bolt there is no way I was going to get a device with an old Operating System on the promise of an update. Been there done that...
    I trust many of you launch day T-Bolt owners (like Chuckawd) that will also be launch day GN2 owners to lead the way again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Well my friends I lasted exactly 4 days into the Realm of the Free to Upgrade before take the plunge.

This launch day Thunderbolter became a launch day DNAer. The phone is magnificent. Shoot me any questions you might have.

Meantime my TB will stay with me, in a drawer. I will try rooting it and installing an ICS ROM (any kind souls who want to advise a COMPLETE rooting newbie on that, please step forward! ;-) ) and playing around, but then my beloved TB will stay safe in a drawer.

I loved that Thunderbolt and still do. I remember its pre-release hype fondly like it was last week. Rushed to get it on release day, all that excitement. It's a great phone done wrong, maligned by haters who have to find something or somebody to bully. The phone was never an issue, but it's OTAs from Verizon/HTC always were, bringing us new problems we didn't have, taking too long to correct the issues we did, and leaving a great phone with a tattered reputation.

Yup, I love my new DNA, but the Thunderbolt will stay right here in the drawer where it belongs.
    akira751 likes this.

Yesterday, I was finally successful placing an order for a Nexus 4 for myself and one for my wife. Will be going the prepaid route. She wanted to move up to a smart phone and Verizon was talking $160 to $190 a month and a new two year contract. Delivery is 6 to 7 weeks away so the March 17 end date for our existing contract won't hurt so much.

Couldnt stand the TB anymore I got on craigslist and bought a Razr Maxx. Besides the battery the user interface is like butter! I dont lose connection and is fast. my contract is up in Jan

I've never had to send the Thunderbolt in for service or have a replacement sent. Use it every day to its fullest for work on the road.
    At the end of the day, we do have to deal with quirky issues that owners of other models apparently don't. My biggest gripe is that Verizon instructed me to disable 4g so that the data connection doesn't drop. I have the thing running box-stock, with only facebook and tunein installed. My reboots were becoming so frequent I did a complete reset. It's been pretty steady since, with only a couple reboots in the past month (vs 1 per day before the reset).

The one thing that seems to go largely unnoticed about the Thunderbolt is that it brought simultaneous voice and data to Verizon. That, in fact, has become a "must-have" for my next purchase, including on 3g networks (which rules out many devices). Camera be damned, it looks like the heir-apparent to the Thunderbolt on the Verizon network is the RAZR HD.

If only the DNA had a SD card slot, I would upgrade today. I can't believe they left that out. Fail.

If only there was a Nexus 4 for VZW, I would have left the Thunderbolt already. I'm going to wait for the ICS update and hope some new phones are coming out.

I have a upgrade to use just don't want to loose unlimited data so I'm paying full retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Moore View Post
    If only the DNA had a SD card slot, I would upgrade today. I can't believe they left that out. Fail.
    That thinking is so limiting. You are missing SO much in this phone.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA via Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by hannsoft View Post
    That thinking is so limiting. You are missing SO much in this phone.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA via Tapatalk 2
    Why is that thinking it so limiting? I agree the device is appears to be awesome with this one exception. HTC should have thought about this.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast