Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree13Likes

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Launch Day Thunderbolters

Quote Originally Posted by t0ked View Post
    Well of course, I completely agree with you. My MAXX HD is head and shoulders above my Tbolt and you can't really compare the two. However, the Tbolt was most definitely cutting edge when it came out. Yes, it became outclassed within 6 months, but that cycle is becoming the norm, just ask anyone with a non-HD RAZR. With the extended battery, it lasted as long as i needed it. It looked like a pig, but it worked. Honestly, however, if I had experienced all the problems that were being reported and had to exchange it multiple times, I'd probably be singing a different tune. I just don't think it deserved the flak and the Woz calling it the worst phone ever. LOL.

I'm just glad the RAZR is splashproof as that's what did my bolt in.
    I am one of the lucky ones who got the unreliable T-Bolts and I am definitely singing a different tune than you. The battery life was my first issue, but that wasn't all that surprising or unexpected, especially being one of the first LTE phones. I got the chunky extended battery and the longevity problem was pretty much solved. Random reboots, frequently dropped data, and intermittent dead spots on the touch screen though have all been recurring issues for me. First, the multiple reboots per day have long since gone away, and random reboots in general have also for the most part, but even now the phone still reboots on its own every few weeks. Not a huge inconvenience, but considering the several-minute (I really need to time it one of these days) boot time with so-called "fast boot" turned ON, it is still annoying. Second, the phone consistently and randomly loses its mobile data coverage in areas that I know are covered by the towers because I am able to get a good data signal other times, and friends with other VZW 4G phones do not have this issue. Mine either drops data all together, or drops it to 1X. When it is totally gone, I go into the Quick Settings in the pull-down menu at the top and the Mobile Network is turned off. When I try to turn it back on, it appears as though it is trying, but fails and multiple attempts do not bring different results. Usually the only cure is a several-minute reboot. Third, on occasion, certain spots of the screen (usually the upper 0.75 inches or so) will stop responding to touch. There goes another reboot...

My Tbolt came up with one more issue about 18 months ago when my data suddenly slowed to a consistent but much reduced speed. Using the speedtest.net app, when I first got the phone the 4G LTE speeds were somewhere in the ballpark of 30Mbps upload and download (I do not remember or have in front of me the exact numbers). About 18 months ago though, I stopped seeing anything higher than about 5Mbps download and about 8Mbps upload. These still beat 3G speeds (I think), but they are nothing compared to what I was getting initially on the Tbolt or what I should still be getting. Even doing a speedtest.net app side-by-side simultaneous run with a friend on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I saw a max of about 5Mbps down, and about 8Mbps up, while he saw at least 30Mbps up and down. No clue why this happens, and of course Verizon was no help. They sent me a new 4G SIM card to attempt to resolve this and the general data connectivity issue, but to no avail...on either issue.

I am trying to figure out what my next phone will be. I think I am between the Razr Maxx HD, the S3, and the Note 2, but I'm not sure. The battery on the Razr Maxx HD is a huuuuuge draw coming from the Tbolt with its unwieldy extended battery that is basically essential in order to make it through a full day on one charge. However, the Samsung line is appealing to me as well, and my basic deliberation between the two Samsungs is size - whether I want something as big as the Note 2 or if the S3 better fits the bill. I do not know much about the battery on either of these though, so that will come into play when I actually go to decide. All that is really irrelevant right now though because I will not pay the $600+ retail price for any of these phones, and I will not give up my unlimited data by signing a new contract either. I'll just be waiting until the prices come down on these phones, until there is a new one that I am willing to pay full retail for, or until my Tbolt finally dies.

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.10

After dropping my Tbolt 2 weeks ago (traveling so using the extended battery, no case) and the digitizer having issues, I ordered a GS3 yesterday.

I couldn't decide between the iPhone 5 and the GS3 - I really hate the size of phones today so was looking at the iPhone simply because of form factor. Ultimately, I decided I would hate being locked into Apple's vision of what my phone should be capable of more than the size of the GS3. I plan to root only because I want to put my apps on the SD card (16GB black) but I am looking forward to a faster phone. I have some concerns about the radios because of the weak signal at my office but others with the GS3 are very happy with it.

ROM
    Tshed

Quote Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
    After dropping my Tbolt 2 weeks ago (traveling so using the extended battery, no case) and the digitizer having issues, I ordered a GS3 yesterday.

I couldn't decide between the iPhone 5 and the GS3 - I really hate the size of phones today so was looking at the iPhone simply because of form factor. Ultimately, I decided I would hate being locked into Apple's vision of what my phone should be capable of more than the size of the GS3. I plan to root only because I want to put my apps on the SD card (16GB black) but I am looking forward to a faster phone. I have some concerns about the radios because of the weak signal at my office but others with the GS3 are very happy with it.
    Trust me, coming from the thunderbolt you're not going to have too many complaints about the S3 radios
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by inthruoutdoor View Post
    ...I think I am between the Razr Maxx HD, the S3, and the Note 2, but I'm not sure...
    Found a brand new GS3 on craigslist for and am incredibly happy with it. So far the battery lasts all day, I actually really like the TouchWiz UI, the phone runs super smooth, display is crystal clear, and it is packed with features. Highly recommend this phone, especially for anyone coming from the TBolt! You will not be disappointed.

I placed my order for a Nexus 4 yesterday. I'll still have to wait until March but I didn't want to take a chance with it going out of stock again. Can't wait to be free of damn contracts!
    I choose Android...it's only logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Treknologist View Post
    I placed my order for a Nexus 4 yesterday. I'll still have to wait until March but I didn't want to take a chance with it going out of stock again. Can't wait to be free of damn contracts!
    That is exactly WHAT I did, and exactly WHY I did it.

I was, and am, mostly happy with the thunderbolt and the verizon network. If I could use the phone on a plan that was not so expensive, I would continue to use it until it broke. I am finding that the verizon pricing is getting to be more than I am willing to pay. I don't need (or even want) a new phone every two years, and having to pay a monthly rates that includes phone subsidies is becoming more than I want to do. While they may have the broadest coverage, I am willing to accept reduced coverage for lower costs.

Off to a GN4 and try out some of those pre-paid plans.

I bought the Tbolt on launch day. A pre order thru Best Buy actually. I've been holding out for the next batch of phones and unfortunately lost my Tbolt 2 weeks ago, and am currently on an ancient Droid 2. I'm really leery about what to do, because of the whole unlimited 4G issue.

**EDIT: I never had the battery issues and used the phone heavily. Additionally, during one of the many Cowboy's losses this year. I literally threw the Bolt thru the my bathroom door and the phone was unscathed.

Well, I just did the deed; ordered a Galaxy Note 2! My T-Bolt is in nearly perfect condition and has been good to me for 23 months, but I caught the "new phone" bug. The GN2 was just too compelling with the S-Pen and the massive screen, both of which will come in really handy for me. Not to mention the big battery. Now trying to decide if I should keep the TB for a backup or try to sell it. I do plan to sell most or all of the accessories I have for it at least.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234