Launch Day Thunderbolters

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Well if you were like me and got your Tbolt on launch day, most of us are able to use an upgrade today!! Are any of my fellow friends going to burn an upgrade and lose unlimited for the DNA or Note 2? Or is your Bolt still going strong and you're hanging on?

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

DMBMARKT

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm keeping mine for now. I have had it since day 1, and it's still going strong. I do like HTC phones, as this is my second one in a row, and I think that my next one will also be an HTC. I don't have the need to upgrade right now, but that DNA looks pretty good. My guess is I will go for the next big HTC after the DNA.

hcrspec

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been wanting a DNA. Just hate to sign a new two year contract. Would like a Nexus 4 if I could figure out the prepay game. And if Google would actually make them available through Google Play. I think we are going to see them ending up with the carriers and only available on contract.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Well if you were like me and got your Tbolt on launch day, most of us are able to use an upgrade today!! Are any of my fellow friends going to burn an upgrade and lose unlimited for the DNA or Note 2? Or is your Bolt still going strong and you're hanging on?

I used my Tbolt upgrade for a Razr Maxx HD. Because I never, ever want to deal with babying a battery ever again. So I know I'm giving up some screen quality with it versus the DNA (the note 2 is too big for my tastes) but now I never care about making it through a day anymore.

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
I'm going to hang on a little longer, I think. HTC and VZW dropped the ball and crippled the DNA or I would have been all over that. The only device that would fit my needs right now is the Razor MAXX HD, and it's just not compelling enough for me to go through all the trouble and expense of switching. I already gave up my unlimited Data in exchange for a significantly lower phone bill, so that's not an issue for me. I just can't get excited about any of the new devices.

SellnCLT85

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I would love to upgrade now, but I don't want to lose unlimited data. For the last few months I have been able to manage my data. I honestly think the TB battery life has beat me in to submission and forced me to use wi-fi whenever available. I love the DNA, but I will more than likely wait till "the next big thing" is released and pick up a pre-owned DNA off of Swappa.

From the "OG" HTC 4gLTE

Como4076

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Well I am a first day of launch TB owner and I have had good luck with mine and no problems to speak of but I am ready for a upgrade , just not sure which one to get ??? I like the note 2 and my sister has the S3 but not sure what to get yet??? LOL

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Other than the occasional bout of data drops, my Thunderbolt is still going strong. But it just feels long in the tooth to me and I'm ready to move on. Not using an upgrade (even though I've had one available for a year, stopped playing the upgrade game when I got the Thunderbolt), but paying full retail for a Note 2 (pre-ordered already). Of course as a side benefit to that, get to keep grandfathered unlimited data. I initially considered the DNA (stupid name IMO), but the non-removable battery is a deal breaker for me and IMO the Note 2 has better overall features one of which being the S-Pen. :)

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

3/17/11 is a day that will live in infamy. ;-)

Right this second I'm actually considering moving to another carrier. I believe that Verizon held back the ICS update because they wanted our beloved Bolts to just go away. I'm willing to bet they just knew that if they let it sit we'd all want to upgrade as soon as our frustrations got the better of us. Add in the all-too-suspicious fact that the DNA is announced just 4 days before we opening-dayers are eligible for our upgrades and it leaves a foul taste in my mouth. I believe HTC had the update ready quite some time ago and it's Verizon that has quietly tucked into the back of a drawer somewhere. It isn't HTC we should blame for no ICS, it's Verizon.

All that being said, if I were to stay I think it comes down to the DNA, Note 2, and the RAZR Maxx HD. The Note 2's only real attraction is the size (the Candyland Touchwiz interface turns me right off). The Maxx's powerhouse battery is a huge draw, but that screen leaves a lot to be desired, and the hardware is already second best. The Jelly Bean upgrade is coming, so that's not a problem.

Dunno. Still wrestling with the scent of corporate manipulation here.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
My family and I are first day TBolters and took the jump to a new phones yesterday. The whole right half of my daughters phone didn't work any more and it was her second one. I don't even remember what happened to her first one. Mine just felt dated I guess and I didn't like that bulky extended battery any more. I ended up getting the Maxx HD ($199.99), my wife got the Maxx ($69.99), and my daughter got the Razr M ($79.99) because she liked the smaller size of the phone. So far I have no regrets switching so far. We all three love our phones and are spending time getting used to our new phones.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I was considering the Note 2, but after my discussion with Jerry on where Android is heading and then digesting the reasons why it's heading that way, I've decided to hang on to my Bolt a while longer. If the DNA had a removable battery and more internal storage, I probably would have made the move, but as it is, I'm happy to wait for the phone that meets my wishlist. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
My family and I are first day TBolters and took the jump to a new phones yesterday. The whole right half of my daughters phone didn't work any more and it was her second one. I don't even remember what happened to her first one. Mine just felt dated I guess and I didn't like that bulky extended battery any more. I ended up getting the Maxx HD ($199.99), my wife got the Maxx ($69.99), and my daughter got the Razr M ($79.99) because she liked the smaller size of the phone. So far I have no regrets switching so far. We all three love our phones and are spending time getting used to our new phones.

Good for you all - enjoy them! I'd love to hear your thoughts about Maxx's interface and screen when you've had a chance to form impressions. PM is fine if you like, since we're in the wrong forum for that. ;-)

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I was considering the Note 2, but after my discussion with Jerry on where Android is heading and then digesting the reasons why it's heading that way, I've decided to hang on to my Bolt a while longer. If the DNA had a removable battery and more internal storage, I probably would have made the move, but as it is, I'm happy to wait for the phone that meets my wishlist. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

I'd love to hear about that discussion if it's public! Is that on the SD card thread elsewhere?

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
For those that are wavering on the Maxx HD because of the screen, it's a HUGE step up from the Thunderbolt. I've had the new phone for about ten days now and I can't see anything about the screen I don't like.

Now, I'm not comparing it day to day against the DNA or the Note 2/S3 but unless you're looking for tiny flaws that can only be seen at three inches from your face, it's a really good blend of phone.

That said, the camera is pretty bad indoors in low light so if that's really important to you, then perhaps the DNA or the Note 2 world be a better fit.

jasongeiger

May 2, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt is running pretty damn good on an aosp ics rom and extended battery. I hit 28 hours on it this weekend. Granted, I have been spending more time on a jb rom'ed kindle fire. I've been using it as my only mp3 player and the bulk with the extended battery is getting to me. Anyway, I'm committed on getting the Note 2. I'm just not impressed with the DNA for what I want to do. I've held the Sprint Note, put it in my pocket, etc. My upgrade is next month and contract is up in April I think. What I haven't decided on is whether I'm going to jump ship and go to Sprint or upgrade with Verizon. If I can afford the early contract disconnect fee for two phones next month and Sprints 4glte speed tests decent here I'll go with them. Otherwise, I'll just upgrade to Verizon's Note 2.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Synycalwon, if you have some time, I'd be interested in hearing your take on what Jerry said. Thanks.

I really don't have any concerns regarding the Note 2 and its SD card support. I only use the SD card to store some media files, documents and nandroid backups (then copy them to my home NAS for backups). I plan on using the 32GB SD card from my Thunderbolt in the Note 2 of which I'm only using may be 2GB of it. Otherwise, the 16GB internal storage space on the Note 2 (and my 16GB Nexus 7) is more than enough for me as I average a little over 1GB of storage use (Don't play games or use any apps that require a lot of space).

I'm also content with the version of Jelly Bean the Note 2 is shipping with and am not concerned whether it gets newer versions of Android and how that may affect the SD card. If it does get newer versions, I'm confident Samsung will keep things working well with the SD card. If that turns out not to be the case, I have no problem staying on older software and disabling OTA updates; something I just did with my Nexus 7 in order to stay on 4.1.2 as I don't like the changes for it in 4.2 nor have any use for 4.2's new features. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :)

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm still surprised how so few people bought the Thunderbolt on a one year contract. Sad that Verizon doesn't have those anymore.