Launch Day Thunderbolters

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Another day 1 Tbolter here. I jumped ship a couple weeks ago to the DNA, managed to keep my unlimited data and could not be happier. The DNA forum is nothing like the early Tbolt forum, very few problems and no complaints to speak off. Just a lot of praise for the DNA .

It's really amazing, when you think about it, that we all stayed as long as we did. I sang the praises of the Bolt right to the bitter end - still will, to be honest. I wish I knew what kept us.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA via Tapatalk 2

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It's really amazing, when you think about it, that we all stayed as long as we did. I sang the praises of the Bolt right to the bitter end - still will, to be honest. I wish I knew what kept us.

I loved my Tbolt. It was such cutting edge tech when it came out and no one had ever experienced such ridiculous speeds on a phone before. I never had the serious issues others complained about. No reboots, disconnects, etc. I did have the voicemail bug, but VZW gave me free VVM for way longer than they should have. By the end, it was rooted, debloated, with the stock ROM, and running perfectly. I disabled OTA updates cause i just didn't want ICS on the phone. Who knew what bugs that would bring? If it hadn't gotten wet and the screen got damaged, I'd probably be using it still. I have no regrets with the MAXX HD I have now, but I think the Tbolt got way too much flak. For a product that launched the 4G revolution, i think it was a great product.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It was ok, but the more reliant you become on a mobile device, the more frustrating the inconsistencies become. I've essentially been using mine for 2 years strictly in 3g mode at Verizon's suggestion. Essentially, for as "cutting edge" as it was, it really wasn't. (That sound WAYYY more argumentative than I mean it)

I have a week and a half on Razr Maxx HD and finally feel like I'm sitting at the big people's table. Bluetooth connectivity, 3g and especially 4g connectivity is solid and reliable. I can drive down the road streaming audio and move in and out of 4g areas without issue. Last Monday I had over 6 hours of talk time and I don't know how many hours of screen time providing tech support and still parked it with plenty of battery left. Have had several days where extended use (16 hours) were needed and it was there. Can't say how relieving it is to know that a device you've grown to rely on will be there when you need it.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I loved my Tbolt. It was such cutting edge tech when it came out and no one had ever experienced such ridiculous speeds on a phone before. I never had the serious issues others complained about. No reboots, disconnects, etc. I did have the voicemail bug, but VZW gave me free VVM for way longer than they should have. By the end, it was rooted, debloated, with the stock ROM, and running perfectly. I disabled OTA updates cause i just didn't want ICS on the phone. Who knew what bugs that would bring? If it hadn't gotten wet and the screen got damaged, I'd probably be using it still. I have no regrets with the MAXX HD I have now, but I think the Tbolt got way too much flak. For a product that launched the 4G revolution, i think it was a great product.

These sound exactly like my sentiments. I love this DNA, but I do miss the Bolt too.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It was ok, but the more reliant you become on a mobile device, the more frustrating the inconsistencies become. I've essentially been using mine for 2 years strictly in 3g mode at Verizon's suggestion. Essentially, for as "cutting edge" as it was, it really wasn't. (That sound WAYYY more argumentative than I mean it)

I have a week and a half on Razr Maxx HD and finally feel like I'm sitting at the big people's table. Bluetooth connectivity, 3g and especially 4g connectivity is solid and reliable. I can drive down the road streaming audio and move in and out of 4g areas without issue. Last Monday I had over 6 hours of talk time and I don't know how many hours of screen time providing tech support and still parked it with plenty of battery left. Have had several days where extended use (16 hours) were needed and it was there. Can't say how relieving it is to know that a device you've grown to rely on will be there when you need it.

Well of course, I completely agree with you. My MAXX HD is head and shoulders above my Tbolt and you can't really compare the two. However, the Tbolt was most definitely cutting edge when it came out. Yes, it became outclassed within 6 months, but that cycle is becoming the norm, just ask anyone with a non-HD RAZR. With the extended battery, it lasted as long as i needed it. It looked like a pig, but it worked. Honestly, however, if I had experienced all the problems that were being reported and had to exchange it multiple times, I'd probably be singing a different tune. I just don't think it deserved the flak and the Woz calling it the worst phone ever. LOL.

I'm just glad the RAZR is splashproof as that's what did my bolt in.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I been able to upgrades since November but I no longer going to stick with VZW. I am going to move to a TM 4G monthly no contract plan.

My next phone I will upgrade to will be HTC again. I am looking forward getting the HTC M7 and hope it works on TM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

lescarpio

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I just traded my TBolt in a couple days ago for the Moto RAZR HD and wow, it's like night and day. Day being the TBolt: plain, dull, quick don't get me wrong, but the RAZR HD is where the night life's at. Literally I can go out at night without being paranoid about the battery being dead half way through (that's with the extended 2750mAh battery that made me embarrassed to be seen with it).

For some background info, I've been through the original Moto Droid 1/Milestone, iPhone 3G, HTC Thunderbolt, and now Motorola Droid RAZR HD.

I decided to go back to Motorola because I loved the build quality of the first Droid. I liked HTCs phone too, until I began running into features that didn't necessarily work, such as the "flip to speaker". No matter how many times I tried that feature never worked. I also got very tired of the Sense skin. It seemed too bubbly to me, too cartoonish. When I heard from AndroidCentrals own review of the DNA where things like decent battery life and "certain features that just don't work" I just had horrible recollections of the Thunderbolt. I have to admit, I love that HTC is always trying to innovate and be trailblazers in mobile hardware and features, but when things don't work, and a lack of patches to fix them aren't ota, my loyalty to them diminished.

Some big differences between the RAZR HD and Thunderbolt, build quality. The Thunderbolt was thick even at the time it was released (my Droid 1 was thinner); the RAZR HD is slim and has a smaller battery than the extended battery of the Thunderbolt but lasts much longer. The kevlar backing is a nice original way to stand out of the crowd of glass plates and plastic covers. I also personally prefer the RAZRs industrial design; it feels modern. My most favorite detail is the LED notification light. I have the White RAZR HD, and when I get a notification, it blinks a green light that makes the white off the phone shimmer green. Its a nice effect. To those that hate the notification light can always disable it or just turn the phone screen face down.

The camera, although reviewers have stated the Moto line of phones have weak cameras, its a definite step up from the Thunderbolt where now I can actually burst shots rather than having to sit there for 4 or 5 seconds before i can take another photo.

Screen resolution is obviously a great step forward. 720p videos look very nice. It is a smaller screen so some images look much nicer vs. my 1080p computer monitor. Pixels are closer together so the picture looks much more crisp.

Speaker quality is so-so. Sometimes I have a hard time hearing the other person on the other line, even with the voice privacy option off.

I love the Custom Moto skin. It feels like this should have been the Nexus 4, with its unaltered Jelly Bean OS. There are some small tweaks Moto had their hands on, but overall it feels like stock Jelly Bean vs. something like the Nexus 7.

One thing I miss from my Thunderbolt is the extra Menu button. Since Android apps don't really have to follow a strict menu layout, it feels like a memorization game with each app, where I have to remember where the menu button is (if the app even features one). Androids getting better in this department, but its not quiet fully there yet. Also the built in kick stand. I have a case for the RAZR HD that has a kick stand built in, but if I want it all the time I'll have to keep these case.

Overall I'm very happy with my choice. If I'd have to choose between sticking with Motorola or going back to HTC for my NEXT phone (in 2 years), I think I'm going to stick with Motorola. Unless Nokia will join the Android family... then I'd have to reconsider.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I been able to upgrades since November but I no longer going to stick with VZW. I am going to move to a TM 4G monthly no contract plan.

My next phone I will upgrade to will be HTC again. I am looking forward getting the HTC M7 and hope it works on TM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I ordered a T-mobile HTC One S(Black) and T-mobile 4G monthly sim card to replace my TB. I will be happy with HTC One S and paying only $30 months for service. All this will make the wait for the HTC M7 much more bare able.

If HTC M7 doesn't done to T-mobile then least I have the One S. I see this as a win win.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

crabbleapple

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Why in the world would I want to get rid of my Bolt? If it seems slow and laggy, I go play with my OG for a few minutes, and it seems like Speed Racer afterwards :D That also helps me remember how fast this tech is advancing, and that in a year or two whatever Shiny New Thing I covet now would be just as (relatively) slow and creaky as the Bolt feels. No hurry. Plus, although the ROM choices are getting thinner, twisted is keeping us in the game even if we're not at the head of the pack.

By the way-for those of you thinking about going Samsung due to upgrade delays, my friends with Fascinates are still on Froyo. The Gingerbread update got pulled due to bricks almost immediately after rollout, and they never bothered to fix it. If you want the latest and greatest OS OTA, get a Nexus. And am I really the only one who finds it creepy that the SIII watches you?

phantomog

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Launch day Thunderbolt was my first smartphone. I actually didn't have too many issues with it, except of course battery life. Last week I picked up a Note 2 and couldn't be happier. The Thunderbolt is now relegated to "YouTube device" for my toddler :p

I held off on upgrading since early November thinking I wouldn't notice much of a difference with an upgrade. Boy was I wrong. Night and day difference. I don't know how many of the new things I like are Samsung specific or just JB upgrades but I'm ecstatic with the new phone. I debated a long time between the DNA and Note 2 and I'm glad I went with the Note 2. I was worried about the size, however, I'm already used to it and its not a big deal.

Lucky for me I already do have a dumb phone line on my account so I was able to keep my unlimited data (via upgrading on that line). I'm keeping my fingers crossed but it looks like I'm also keeping my $20 data discount as well (talk and text promo).

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I have been eyeing the Nexus 4 and Note 2 but will go with the Note 2 since the Nexus doesn't have a changeable battery

I am eligible to upgrade as of November but will wait till im done in March since I might switch to T-Mobile

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I finally gave up my unlimited data - I was averaging less than 1G a month anyway - since I stay connected to Wi-fi at home and work. Even chosing the 4G plan, to take advantage of the mobile hotspot feature, I came out less than what I was paying.

I loved the Tbolt when it first came out, even got used to having the extended battery on it as "normal". But then in the last six months I've hated it. It would stall out when I'd try to make calls, I'd have to text people and ask them to call me, because I couldn't call out. More often than not, people would hear me muttering under my breath..."stupid phone!"

I was considering moving to the DNA, but the fact that you couldn't change the battery or add a SD card was very concerning to me. I was already getting low resources error on my Tbolt (had to disable Facebook a year in, because I'd get that error every time I used it), and storing most of my apps on the SD card.

I went into the Verizon store wanting to see the DNA and the Note 2. All the Verizon reps I spoke to said they'd get the Note 2 over the DNA, and that the Note 2 was the phone they all lusted after (for those that didn't yet have it). As a woman, I was concerned about the Note 2's size, but knew after playing with both of them that I really wanted the Note 2. So - I went for it, and I'm in love with my phone again. This phone is the best user experience for me and my needs of my previous phones. There's so much I'm discovering about this phone every day.

And the size? Just not an issue for me, even with the Otterbox Commuter case on it. I'm not a tight jean wearer, so it fits comfortably in my pocket.

My boyfriend is what we'd call technology challenged, and he's on the plan with a "dumb phone". He was eligible to upgrade as well, and I really tried to get him to consider moving to a smart phone, but he said he was happy with the phone he has and has no desire to upgrade - so if another phone comes along in a year or so, I'll use his upgrade at that time for another phone. But for now, I can't see my love affair with the Note 2 ending any time soon. :)

And the T'bolt - I'll be factory re-setting it and selling it to a co-worker who can't really afford to upgrade right now and let her have it. She's using my old original DINC right now, so the TBolt will still be an upgrade for her.

inthruoutdoor

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Well of course, I completely agree with you. My MAXX HD is head and shoulders above my Tbolt and you can't really compare the two. However, the Tbolt was most definitely cutting edge when it came out. Yes, it became outclassed within 6 months, but that cycle is becoming the norm, just ask anyone with a non-HD RAZR. With the extended battery, it lasted as long as i needed it. It looked like a pig, but it worked. Honestly, however, if I had experienced all the problems that were being reported and had to exchange it multiple times, I'd probably be singing a different tune. I just don't think it deserved the flak and the Woz calling it the worst phone ever. LOL.

I'm just glad the RAZR is splashproof as that's what did my bolt in.

I am one of the lucky ones who got the unreliable T-Bolts and I am definitely singing a different tune than you. The battery life was my first issue, but that wasn't all that surprising or unexpected, especially being one of the first LTE phones. I got the chunky extended battery and the longevity problem was pretty much solved. Random reboots, frequently dropped data, and intermittent dead spots on the touch screen though have all been recurring issues for me. First, the multiple reboots per day have long since gone away, and random reboots in general have also for the most part, but even now the phone still reboots on its own every few weeks. Not a huge inconvenience, but considering the several-minute (I really need to time it one of these days) boot time with so-called "fast boot" turned ON, it is still annoying. Second, the phone consistently and randomly loses its mobile data coverage in areas that I know are covered by the towers because I am able to get a good data signal other times, and friends with other VZW 4G phones do not have this issue. Mine either drops data all together, or drops it to 1X. When it is totally gone, I go into the Quick Settings in the pull-down menu at the top and the Mobile Network is turned off. When I try to turn it back on, it appears as though it is trying, but fails and multiple attempts do not bring different results. Usually the only cure is a several-minute reboot. Third, on occasion, certain spots of the screen (usually the upper 0.75 inches or so) will stop responding to touch. There goes another reboot...

My Tbolt came up with one more issue about 18 months ago when my data suddenly slowed to a consistent but much reduced speed. Using the speedtest.net app, when I first got the phone the 4G LTE speeds were somewhere in the ballpark of 30Mbps upload and download (I do not remember or have in front of me the exact numbers). About 18 months ago though, I stopped seeing anything higher than about 5Mbps download and about 8Mbps upload. These still beat 3G speeds (I think), but they are nothing compared to what I was getting initially on the Tbolt or what I should still be getting. Even doing a speedtest.net app side-by-side simultaneous run with a friend on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, I saw a max of about 5Mbps down, and about 8Mbps up, while he saw at least 30Mbps up and down. No clue why this happens, and of course Verizon was no help. They sent me a new 4G SIM card to attempt to resolve this and the general data connectivity issue, but to no avail...on either issue.

I am trying to figure out what my next phone will be. I think I am between the Razr Maxx HD, the S3, and the Note 2, but I'm not sure. The battery on the Razr Maxx HD is a huuuuuge draw coming from the Tbolt with its unwieldy extended battery that is basically essential in order to make it through a full day on one charge. However, the Samsung line is appealing to me as well, and my basic deliberation between the two Samsungs is size - whether I want something as big as the Note 2 or if the S3 better fits the bill. I do not know much about the battery on either of these though, so that will come into play when I actually go to decide. All that is really irrelevant right now though because I will not pay the $600+ retail price for any of these phones, and I will not give up my unlimited data by signing a new contract either. I'll just be waiting until the prices come down on these phones, until there is a new one that I am willing to pay full retail for, or until my Tbolt finally dies.

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
After dropping my Tbolt 2 weeks ago (traveling so using the extended battery, no case) and the digitizer having issues, I ordered a GS3 yesterday.

I couldn't decide between the iPhone 5 and the GS3 - I really hate the size of phones today so was looking at the iPhone simply because of form factor. Ultimately, I decided I would hate being locked into Apple's vision of what my phone should be capable of more than the size of the GS3. I plan to root only because I want to put my apps on the SD card (16GB black) but I am looking forward to a faster phone. I have some concerns about the radios because of the weak signal at my office but others with the GS3 are very happy with it.

anon(531015)

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
After dropping my Tbolt 2 weeks ago (traveling so using the extended battery, no case) and the digitizer having issues, I ordered a GS3 yesterday.

I couldn't decide between the iPhone 5 and the GS3 - I really hate the size of phones today so was looking at the iPhone simply because of form factor. Ultimately, I decided I would hate being locked into Apple's vision of what my phone should be capable of more than the size of the GS3. I plan to root only because I want to put my apps on the SD card (16GB black) but I am looking forward to a faster phone. I have some concerns about the radios because of the weak signal at my office but others with the GS3 are very happy with it.

Trust me, coming from the thunderbolt you're not going to have too many complaints about the S3 radios

inthruoutdoor

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
...I think I am between the Razr Maxx HD, the S3, and the Note 2, but I'm not sure...

Found a brand new GS3 on craigslist for and am incredibly happy with it. So far the battery lasts all day, I actually really like the TouchWiz UI, the phone runs super smooth, display is crystal clear, and it is packed with features. Highly recommend this phone, especially for anyone coming from the TBolt! You will not be disappointed.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I placed my order for a Nexus 4 yesterday. I'll still have to wait until March but I didn't want to take a chance with it going out of stock again. Can't wait to be free of damn contracts!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary