1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't connect to hidden SSID

My thunderbolt cannot connect to my Dlink router when I make the SSID hidden. If I go into the router and make the SSID visible then my thunderbolt can find it and connect, but when I change it back to hidden it is not able to reconnect to it. Is there a way to keep my SSID hidden and have my thunderbolt connect to my router or am I going to make it so my SSID is visible?

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Can't connect to hidden SSID

Not sure - I use mine to connect to hidden SSIDs all the time, and I've never had a problem with it.

Keep in mind that a hidden SSID is a very ineffective layer in terms of security. If it's an OPEN or WEP-secured network and is actually being used, it's trivial to monitor WiFi traffic and find the SSID based on the traffic going to it. If it's a properly-secured WPA network, publishing the SSID doesn't really add to security because it's basically impossible to crack the network anyway.

It'll make it a little clearer to casual passers-by that you'd rather not have your network used, but if you're counting on it for any sort of security, don't bother.