- 6 Posts
Can't connect to hidden SSID
My thunderbolt cannot connect to my Dlink router when I make the SSID hidden. If I go into the router and make the SSID visible then my thunderbolt can find it and connect, but when I change it back to hidden it is not able to reconnect to it. Is there a way to keep my SSID hidden and have my thunderbolt connect to my router or am I going to make it so my SSID is visible?
- 11-26-2012, 02:08 PM #2
- 1,588 Posts
Re: Can't connect to hidden SSID
Not sure - I use mine to connect to hidden SSIDs all the time, and I've never had a problem with it.
Keep in mind that a hidden SSID is a very ineffective layer in terms of security. If it's an OPEN or WEP-secured network and is actually being used, it's trivial to monitor WiFi traffic and find the SSID based on the traffic going to it. If it's a properly-secured WPA network, publishing the SSID doesn't really add to security because it's basically impossible to crack the network anyway.
It'll make it a little clearer to casual passers-by that you'd rather not have your network used, but if you're counting on it for any sort of security, don't bother.
- By alextodd16 in forum Motorola DroidReplies: 14Last Post: 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM
- By Ed Witles in forum Verizon HTC ThunderboltReplies: 3Last Post: 01-09-2012, 07:55 AM
- By dms76 in forum Verizon HTC ThunderboltReplies: 10Last Post: 05-26-2011, 05:11 PM
- By TigerDave in forum LG Optimus SReplies: 16Last Post: 03-01-2011, 09:16 AM
- By minidreamin in forum SprintReplies: 13Last Post: 08-28-2010, 12:49 PM