Thunderbolt Broken screen

d3c509b

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
So the right 5mm of my touchscreen doesn't work. Odd, huh? Different roms don't seem to help.

Think a screen replacement would help? Or is "screen" the glass only?

I think attached image shows what I mean ...

Thanks ahead of time!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355242499835.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355242499835.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 24

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
As a clarification, is this a "digitizer" issue?

Software issue?

LCD issue?

I'd say probably the digitizer. You could probably fix it or have it fixed by replacing the digitizer, but you'll be without your device for a while and the cost would be pretty close to that of a used Thunderbolt on eBay from a reputable seller.

If you have insurance, use it.

If you are still in warranty, call Verizon and see if they'll swap it for you.

As a last resort, you can see if Verizon will give you an upgrade early if you are coming close to an upgrade period, pay your ETF so you are eligible for an upgrade again, or buy a used unit from a reputable seller. The nice part is that you have all the accessories and stuff, you just need the handset, and it can be a "backless, battery-less" one if you can find one which will save you a few sheckles.

d3c509b

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

For what it's worth I'm rooted, out of warranty, no insurance.

Seeing digitizers for about $20 shipped, a few more with some tools I'd need. A comparable phone around $75 on craigslist, etc.

From the videos I've watched replacing the digitizer is a roughly 30m job. There is a risk the device doesn't turn back on, of course.

Thanks for the advice, has anyone replaced the digitizer? It looks straightforward, but would like to hear some first hand experience

Ed Witles

May 4, 2011
Visit site
This is a known issue. Could have vzw warranty, but said if found evidence of damage, I would get a nice bill. Several have seen this happen - no rhyme or reason.

d3c509b

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info (as known issue).

Seems very strange, and I may give vzw a call then.

It's exhausting trying to type the letter "p"!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci