Someone with 3G service please respond

pcbtmr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This may be a simple request but could someone using 3G service please confirm NO data connection? I know my old TBolt would do simultaneous Voice & Data but it may have been only in the 4G service.
So far, more impressed with the TBolt than GNote2.

Thanks.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Ehrpd hasn't anything to do with a phone's SVDO capability, it is a way for 3g to 4g transition handling. It is the SoC that handles it and currently the only one to do it on 3g CDMA/LTE devices is the Qualcomm S4 on 3g.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

F350-6

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, your Thunderbolt would do simultaneous 3G voice & data.

No, the Note 2 will not. (Nor will the DNA)

Really? I had assumed that anything that has come out since the Tbolt could at least do 3g voice and data. Guess I need to wait on the Note 3 or some other oversized phone then. I mean, why downgrade?

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Really? I had assumed that anything that has come out since the Tbolt could at least do 3g voice and data. Guess I need to wait on the Note 3 or some other oversized phone then. I mean, why downgrade?

I thought the same until just a few weeks ago. Kinda surprising to read that functionality isn't just automatic.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
SVDO (simultaneous voice and data over CDMA/3G) requires an extra radio in the phone or a dual transceiver setup which allows one radio to handle voice and the other data. The only phones on Verizon with such a setup are the Thunderbolt, Rezound and Galaxy S3. AnandTech has a good write up on this in their Thunderbolt review here: AnandTech - HTC Thunderbolt Review: The First Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

The reason most newer phones don't have this setup is primarily because it's becoming less and less relevant the more Verizon rolls out LTE, which uses SVLTE (simultaneous voice and LTE). Also with a dual transceiver setup, there is probably a bit of extra hardware cost and a slight hit to battery drain (to power the extra radio). There is also the complexity of managing the two radios so they don't exceed FCC SAR requirements. Again, see the AnandTech article. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae