Data dropping randomly from 4G to nothing

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Anybody else having this problem? My data will just stop entirely - sometimes for only seconds and other times for several minutes - then sometimes come back again (usually it does). I've not been able to identify any rhyme, reason or trigger. It just goes from 4G to nothing and I'll have to restart. If anything, it seems more likely to do that the longer it's been running since its last restart. While there are other little issues with my Thunderbolt, this is by far the most annoying - even more so than the random restarts which, thankfully, are just a couple of times a week now. I restart my phone every morning, but stream music almost all day - usually via my office's WiFi but sometimes through my own connection. Any ideas? I'm rooted, so if putting on a custom ROM would help, I'm for it (just hate all the hassle that goes with that).

anon(531015)

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
yeah, i've had this problem and sometimes it happens several times a day. Different radio versions have been more or less reliable for me.

If you have the LTE OnOff installed, you can just turn the radio off then back on rather than rebooting.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
yeah, i've had this problem and sometimes it happens several times a day. Different radio versions have been more or less reliable for me.

If you have the LTE OnOff installed, you can just turn the radio off then back on rather than rebooting.

Not familiar with different radio types. Is this something I can download or is it in a ROM or what?

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
most people will tell you that t his is common with the thunderbolt, but ive had 2 thunderbolts, and the only data drops ive ever had were with this current one, and they went away when i stopped using my extended battery door. the antennas are on the door,and if you constantly are changing back and forth between batteries/doors, they get worn out. take a look at the contacts on the door. do they look worn or bent?

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
which radios you use depend on the rom you are using. so make sure you are installing correct radios before you start

Great - thanks for the info! I'm still using the stock battery and cover, but I'll take a look and see if there's anything that looks amiss.

thundersome

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but you're screwed just like the rest of the unfortunate souls who own a TB. Verizon has broken this phone six ways to sunday and they don't care. If your phone is working flawlessly then you must have a genetic mutant and you must be in some sort of super 4g verizon location. I live very close to a tower and that's done diddly for my connection. When I first got the phone it was rock solid 4g at 30+mbps. Now I can't watch a 3 minute youtube video without the connection dropping 50 times. My slow ass home dsl is faster and more convenient. For me it's not worth doing anything on 4g anymore.

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but you're screwed just like the rest of the unfortunate souls who own a TB. Verizon has broken this phone six ways to sunday and they don't care. If your phone is working flawlessly then you must have a genetic mutant and you must be in some sort of super 4g verizon location. I live very close to a tower and that's done diddly for my connection. When I first got the phone it was rock solid 4g at 30+mbps. Now I can't watch a 3 minute youtube video without the connection dropping 50 times. My slow ass home dsl is faster and more convenient. For me it's not worth doing anything on 4g anymore.

Sorry but my phone is pretty near flawless. With some roms I can get 14 he's plus on battery. Don't get data drops either and this is my 4g speed

uduqe2ys.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
In fact I'm eligible for an upgrade now and my contract is up in march and I'm staying with my bolt till at least April or may

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Right now in using unsense. Its a desensed ics rom. My fav gb rom would be thundershed for aosp and eternity for sense

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but my phone is pretty near flawless. With some roms I can get 14 he's plus on battery. Don't get data drops either and this is my 4g speed

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/10/uduqe2ys.jpg

+1
am rocking the same speeds, very similar to my recent test

@clemson, just as viper said, you want to be on the right radios.
Sometimes you can find your phone dong random reboots, most likely it's the radio
turn on bluetooth or wifi, phone reboots, change radio
it's not something that needs changing everyday, only to find the one that works best for the rom and phone (every thunderbolt is different), and you stick with that.

here's a link to some radios for our phone:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/thunderbolt-rooting-roms-hacks/241694-new-radio.html#post2504304

also, here's a tip which may or may not help. It is something which developer Santod mentions:

goto settings > mobile/network settings > data roaming and check "allow acces for all trips"

While Viper is on Unsense, I'm on Nusense, both ICS roms baked by Santod:

Unsense
★ ☆ | ROM | UnSenseROM | ICS 4.0.4 DeSensed | AWESOME BEATS | APM/EQ | Beta | ☆ ★

Nusense
★ ☆ | ROM | NuSenseROM | ICS Sense 3.6 | BEATS AUDIO | XLoud | Beta | ☆ ★

be sure to follow and read all instructions.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had the thunderbolt, rezound, razr, razr Maxx, and gs3. On the thunderbolt, I never saw over 30mbps, and I got it near release. My other phones have exceeded 60mbps on multiple occasions. Also, the thunderbolt dropped signal quite often, whereas my other devices dropped data very infrequently. I have tried multiple tbolts, both new and used and they all had this issue.

Finally, verizon sent me a rezound as a warranty replacement.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Wow, as of tonight - and for some reason my connection has seemed slower - I'm at a 5mpbs download and a 10mpbs upload. What's the best thing to do to speed it up? Or - what's a good app to use to see if one of my apps or something is slowing me down? This is the first time I've downloaded the Speedtest app, so I have no idea on the history. And if I add a new ROM, what's the easiest way to do that? I know how to flash a ROM - did that with my old Droid Eris (I've not made the best purchase decisions) - but hated all of the mess with re-adding all the apps and basically rebuilding my phone. From what I've read, there are apps now that make that much easier.

EDIT: Redid the SpeedTest after I wrote this post and it went up to 7mbps download and down to just under 6mpbs upload. What's up with the variations? Is that normal?

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
hated all of the mess with re-adding all the apps and basically rebuilding my phone. From what I've read, there are apps now that make that much easier.

correct, there are apps that do this for you:

in no particular order:

Option 1:
TiBu - Titanium Backup
You can backup all your apps as well as your settings in those apps and restore on another rom.
e.g. lets say you're on rom abc, but you want to now change to rom xyz, but you're on level 5000 of angry birds and dont want to lose that and start the game over... well... with this app you can select to backup the data in the app, you flash rom xyz, then restore your apps backup, and walla, your now on rom xyz, and can now continue on to level 5001 of angry birds.
easy as that.
the paid version (key), will let you batch all apps and do it all in a group whereas the free version you have to backup and restore each app manually one at a time.

Option 2:
My Backup Root
Does same as above.

Option 3:
less popular, though no apps needed.
in recovery, make a nandroid of your current rom abc, then wipe all 3 (data/cache/dalvik), then flash new rom xyz
then when in recovery, you can go to advanced and then to advanced restore (something like this).
then you select from which rom you want to restore , in your case you are now on rom xyz and want to restore from rom abc, so you'd select your latest nandroid of rom abc
then next thing you know , after you let the phone load the new rom xyz, it now has your data on it too

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
When I visited Florida a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to smash the phone. 4g, nothing, 4g, nothing, cycling every few seconds. A reboot might make it stable for an hour, or a day, or not at all. Sometimes switching to 3g helped, sometimes not. Then sometimes it just worked beautifully.

Back in Maine, where I work in 4g coverage but live in 3g, it seems mostly stable. Some problems when I leave a Wi-Fi area and it struggles to get cell data, but other than that not too terribly bad. Sometimes switching from 3g to 4g out vice versa forces a reboot, but that's pretty rare.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
When I visited Florida a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to smash the phone. 4g, nothing, 4g, nothing, cycling every few seconds. A reboot might make it stable for an hour, or a day, or not at all. Sometimes switching to 3g helped, sometimes not. Then sometimes it just worked beautifully.

Back in Maine, where I work in 4g coverage but live in 3g, it seems mostly stable. Some problems when I leave a Wi-Fi area and it struggles to get cell data, but other than that not too terribly bad. Sometimes switching from 3g to 4g out vice versa forces a reboot, but that's pretty rare.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I live in Florida 24/7 365 days a yr. No problems

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
former Tbolt owner here. the data drops got to be such a pain, it affected everything i tried to do on my phone. it's maddening to try and watch a youtube video on a 15 minute break, only to have data drop from your phone 10 times in 15 minutes. before the last OTA back in June, my tbolt worked just fine in this regard. finally, after one refurbed tbolt, verizon offered me the Rezound back in November. I have had one known drop of 4G signal since that day. if you call verizon, and talk NICE....they should offer you a suitable upgrade. it may take you one or two refurbs to get, it, but just do it, your patience should net you a newer, better device. I doubt they will go better than the rezound, but I've heard of people getting the razr maxx as a replacement. i wouldn't hold my breath for that, however.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800