Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: What is everyone's thoughts on ics on the tbolt

After about 1/2 day, here are my first impressions: Good: Look and feel. Continuous scrolling of home screens. More detail in weather. No 4G dropout. No unplanned reboots (but I need to test a couple of places they were more common). Chrome. Disabling unused apps. No more Blockbuster app. Can see my wallpaper on the lock screen. Folders show internal icons.

Bad: Link between ringtone and notification volumes. A little more lag in some apps. No native WiFi toggle widget.

Unsure: Battery life (it's like having a new phone, so higher than normal usage).
    Current Personal Devices: Droid MAXX XT1080M; Sero 7 Pro
    Previous Personal Devices:
    Compaq HPC / Palm IIIc / Moto Bag Phone / Moto Flip Phone / StarTAC 7860 / StarTAC 7868 / v60s / GZ1 Type V / GZ1 Boulder / Thunderbolt
    Current Work Device: iPhone4
    Previous Work Devices:
    Moto "Lingo" L3000 iDEN / R750 / i355 / i580 + BB 8703 / BB 8830 / BB8330 / i576 + BB 9650 Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Bad: Link between ringtone and notification volumes. ... No native WiFi toggle widget.
    I posted a Tasker workaround for the volumes here yesterday.

Try Widgetsoid for toggle widgets. It's snazzy, and the pulldown notification toggle pane is sweet as well.

If anyone wants to speed up the screen transition speed, you can do it with ADW launcher. Just go into ADW Settings, click on Screen, scroll down to Desktop Scrolling Speed, and set the number to 100. You'll see a big difference.

Sent from my DNA
    808TBolt likes this.

I've been a lucky one with my TB since I got it. Solid data connections, reasonable battery life and no reboots on stock unrooted. While I appreciate the new abilities in ICS, I do notice a few things that are frustrating. The transitions on opening new apps and new screens shows much more lag than with GB, which has been noted by some folks and contradicted by other experiences. The wi-fi toggle was quickly fixed with a new widget. But my old method of awakening the screen in GB was to use the volume rocker and now it appears the only way is to use the on/off switch. I'm sure I will find many new positives in the next few days as well as a few more frustrations.

Had to disable go launcher to slow to use. Even then many transitions are slower than GB. I like lots of the updates but rather go back to get the speed back.
    Not sure what to do going forward have unlimited so any phone I get will be full price or used. Nexus 4 in a minute but ATT coverage here sucks and never would have unlimited LTE again. That said the moment I drop the $600 for a new phone when I can afford it VZ will then end unlimited all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Unsure: Battery life (it's like having a new phone, so higher than normal usage).
    This is how long mine lasted directly after a reboot:

What is everyone's thoughts on ics on the tbolt-uploadfromtaptalk1360257370707.jpg
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

Quote Originally Posted by danlintz View Post
    Had to disable go launcher to slow to use. Even then many transitions are slower than GB. I like lots of the updates but rather go back to get the speed back.
    Not sure what to do going forward have unlimited so any phone I get will be full price or used. Nexus 4 in a minute but ATT coverage here sucks and never would have unlimited LTE again. That said the moment I drop the $600 for a new phone when I can afford it VZ will then end unlimited all together.
    Give ADW a shot. You can use the settings to speed things up.

Sent from my DNA

Sluggish is putting it mildly. Since last night's upgrade, I've rebooted a number of times hoping to improve performance. After one reboot, it stopped connecting to WIFI. The battery was completely dead after 2 hours so I did a hard reset. It connects to WIFI now but battery isn't much better; far worse than GB. There is a 2-5 sec delay when selecting anything. I'm getting use to answering the phone as swiping up doesn't respond immediately; it usually takes a couple attempts and consistent with the the 2-5 second delay.

I really like ICS on my Nexus 7 and looked forward to this upgrade but seems the OS is too much for TB's technology. I upgrade phones in a couple months so can live with it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by rickp3131 View Post
    Sluggish is putting it mildly. .... There is a 2-5 sec delay when selecting anything.
    That just about matches my experience in the delay. However, my battery seems to behave much as it did with GB.

Chrome really screwed with my phone causing a weird crash that temp disabled the phone and turned the screen off so for now I uninstalled it. Battery life seems pretty much the same (extended battery). Things are sluggish sometimes. At some times it's smooth as butter though so I don't know what's going on. I'm going through and deleting some apps I don't use often to see if it will help. Also I'm using holo launcher hd +. If anyone else is also using it I'd be interested in hearing if you are having any problems. I've noticed my free ram has dropped by over half pre-ics. I used to have around 300mb free and now it goes between around 110-150.

ICS and JB use more RAM than GB so that's to be expected.

Sent from my DNA

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    ROM
    Thundershed 1.3, stock

I'm using the rooted and debloated version and it's not sluggish at all. The new radio is great! I can't wait for Santod to incorporate the new official kernel into his NuSense and UnSense ROMs. They're already awesome and should be even better with the new kernel, especially battery life.

I do love having a swipe keyboard, after having gotten used to it on my nexus 10.

Is anyone else having trouble deleting apps? I only got one app to un-install properly...all the rest I've tried get hung up and never go away.

Sometimes my weather and clock widgets won't come up after rebooting.

Phone boots up really fast!

Radio, 4G/3G switching seems improved, but too early to tell for sure.

Battery is dead within a couple hours, but that's probably because I've been playing with it non-stop. Will wait until everything is sorted out to see how that goes.

Those are the things I've noticed since yesterday.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Is anyone else's wifi dropping randomly? I'll set my phone down for 30 minutes, pick it up, and it will say that no networks are available. Turning my wifi off and on fixes it every time, but it's kind of annoying.

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.11 3++

That's an ICS thing...

Quote Originally Posted by chuckh0308 View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble deleting apps? I only got one app to un-install properly...all the rest I've tried get hung up and never go away.

Sometimes my weather and clock widgets won't come up after rebooting.

Phone boots up really fast!

Radio, 4G/3G switching seems improved, but too early to tell for sure.

Battery is dead within a couple hours, but that's probably because I've been playing with it non-stop. Will wait until everything is sorted out to see how that goes.

Those are the things I've noticed since yesterday.
    Mine sometimes says that there are no apps, but that's fixed by just reentering the page in settings. The only other thing is that sometimes when I uninstall updates, so I can disable an app, it kicks me back to all apps, and I have to find the app again.

Going to 4G is almost instant for me; before it would take a few seconds, to a minute or two, usually in the latter half. Not sure if I still have dropouts, but it seemed fine the short time I used it.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Prinny Mask View Post
    This is how long mine lasted directly after a reboot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1360257370707.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	59548
    Is this an app you are using to display this, or built in?

Quote Originally Posted by gvlakers View Post
    Is this an app you are using to display this, or built in?
    It's built in. Settings>Power>Battery use>Press the graph

I have GSam which gives much more detail about your battery, but its graph is really messy to me.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

Both my mom and grandfather have the bolt and they love the update. The phone is pretty quick, I did notice it can get sluggish sometimes but 90% of the time it's great. I've been playing around with my grandpa's phone to test it out because I had the bolt before the Gnex. I was just happy to see the bolt get some love. I actually liked the bolt I just really wanted the Gnex when it came out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My experience is really positive so far. My Bolt has been unplugged for 17 hours with normal use I've only dropped 30 percent on my extended battery. Performance of the phone isn't quad core snappy, but it's as good or better than it was.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    @drew3sbs on Twitter

I woke up to ICS and I really love it. It really is like a new phone. I was surprised that I didn't have to approve the update as in the past. It updated by itself.

I was actually hesitant about the update since some people are having issues but I haven't noticed anything on my device so far. I also thought I would have to re-install lots of stuff but I've found so far that I have been able to use my usual apps as I did before.

Positives for me:

I really like that you can scroll through all the home screens
    lock screen is nice and streamlined
    screen fonts and icons are nice and crisp
    finally able to disable apps (slacker radio was always running and I never use it)
    love the new message flow and conversation look and feel
    love the new gmail style

Negatives:

lost all my quick texts for reply and there is no option to have them (is there?)
    emoticons are lame (bring back Lloyd!)

All in all, really surprised and happy.

Everything seems to have smoothed out. No lag at all right now even with an added screen with two widgets on it. Though I did have to disable holo locker since it liked to trade places with the sense lockscreen instead of permanently replace it.

the only lag I notice is if I'm in the settings>apps. takes a few seconds to load.

Update went through for me overnight and it's wreaking havoc with my sms messages. Stock messaging app won't load. Gives me a "please wait" with the spinning circle thingy. Eventually I'll be able to see the messages behind the "please wait" message, but they won't load to the point where i can do anything, i.e., select a message, change settings, etc. I've done 2 battery pulls, 2 reboots, I'm not sure where else to turn without reseting the blasted thing. Anybody else having this problem?

Edit: So of course as soon as I posted it started working. Apparently the phone wants me to look like a fool.
    Spacemaker24 likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast