What is everyone's thoughts on ics on the tbolt

bricon123

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
It almost seems that the predicted havoc this update was supposedly going to bring never materialized. I guess HTC and Verizon did the right thing here by ignoring all of the whining about delays (my whining included) and decided to get this thing right.
So when do we get Jelly Bean? :D

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

So..... Since the update last night: My video no longer works. My outgoing voice on the phone mic no longer works, my phone is now slower than a Commador 64, the battery drained in less that 2 hours (have large capacity battery) and the wifi wont stay engaged. Yep, your right. Dont know what all of the fuss was about. It's almost a given that there will be havoc with a Thunderbolt update. I ducked on a few, been burned by a few. This one's is a new low.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So..... Since the update last night: My video no longer works. My outgoing voice on the phone mic no longer works, my phone is now slower than a Commador 64, the battery drained in less that 2 hours (have large capacity battery) and the wifi wont stay engaged. Yep, your right. Dont know what all of the fuss was about. It's almost a given that there will be havoc with a Thunderbolt update. I ducked on a few, been burned by a few. This one's is a new low.

Sorry you're having trouble. And sorry to ask, but have you done a factory reset yet? If you have, my bad, but if you haven't, give it a try.

Sent from my ASUS TF5000T.

bricon123

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
mightyfacund[RIGHT said:
[/RIGHT]o;2576250]Sorry you're having trouble. And sorry to ask, but have you done a factory reset yet? If you have, my bad, but if you haven't, give it a try.

Sent from my ASUS TF5000T.

Thanks for the reply mighty. I appreciate the sympathy (really!) I'm like 808 above though. I've never done a factory reset. Not only not sure how to do it, but very hesitant to lose data, photos, apps, and most important, over two years of tweaks I've done to my 1st day T-Bolt. Some I don't even remember I did clear back to the initial battery issues. If I knew how to save all of that, I certainly would give it a try. I'm sure somewhere on a thread there's point by point instructions from some really friendly super user (wink, wink, hint hint!). It would make a great "sticky". In the mean time, I started a new thread on the mic during call issue. That's the most critical for Brian Conner. It's what makes my smart phone a phone. Lol. Thanks, ill look into doing a factory reset with minimal collateral damage. Appreciate it.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
T Thanks, ill look into doing a factory reset with minimal collateral damage. Appreciate it.

Disclaimer: I'm not rooted, and others on here know WAY more than me about some of this stuff.

I haven't done a factory reset since shortly after getting the phone, but it won't (or is not supposed to) erase any SD card data. That's a straightforward back-up, just in case: Plug the phone into a computer, mount as a drive, and copy everything that is on your SD card onto your computer hard drive. Take screenshots or photos of your home screen layout. Uninstall / disable security software, especially avast! (if you use it). Disable Google two-factor authentication (if you use it) before you start. From what I understand, tweaks and settings on a non-rooted phone are harder to back-up. I'm using MyBackup Pro (non-rooted) and I think there is some stuff that it can't save without root access.

The question I have is, if I root using the "official" HTC method, does that give programs like MyBackup or Titanium Backup the access they need for a "full" backup?

wolf howl

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Disclaimer: I'm not rooted, and others on here know WAY more than me about some of this stuff.

I haven't done a factory reset since shortly after getting the phone, but it won't (or is not supposed to) erase any SD card data. That's a straightforward back-up, just in case: Plug the phone into a computer, mount as a drive, and copy everything that is on your SD card onto your computer hard drive. Take screenshots or photos of your home screen layout. Uninstall / disable security software, especially avast! (if you use it). Disable Google two-factor authentication (if you use it) before you start. From what I understand, tweaks and settings on a non-rooted phone are harder to back-up. I'm using MyBackup Pro (non-rooted) and I think there is some stuff that it can't save without root access.

The question I have is, if I root using the "official" HTC method, does that give programs like MyBackup or Titanium Backup the access they need for a "full" backup?

Yes, if you root, programs such as Titanium Backup can do a full backup of your phone.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I was a little aggravated this morning when I picked up my phone to see a whole different home screen! When vzw pushed the GB update, it gave me a choice to update or not! The ICS automatically updated last night and my phone freaked me out this morning! I had given up hope on getting ICS a long time ago!

It wouldn't let me do anything. Not even a restart! I finally figured out how to get to my actual home screen but every time the screen went off it went back to a screen saying something like " your sim card needs to activate, this may take a few minutes" I was finally able to do a 'restart' and now it works. So haven't really looked yet and what else is different. Crazy that they would push ICS at this late date of the Tbolts! I am headed to a Galaxy Note 2 soon!

Sent from my Thunderbolt. Hoping to be a Galaxy Note ll owner Soon!

sivia

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Update went through for me overnight and it's wreaking havoc with my sms messages. Stock messaging app won't load. Gives me a "please wait" with the spinning circle thingy. Eventually I'll be able to see the messages behind the "please wait" message, but they won't load to the point where i can do anything, i.e., select a message, change settings, etc. I've done 2 battery pulls, 2 reboots, I'm not sure where else to turn without reseting the blasted thing. Anybody else having this problem?:mad:

Edit: So of course as soon as I posted it started working. Apparently the phone wants me to look like a fool.

Woke up this morning to see that ICS had pushed overnight. Took with it some of the widgets on my screens and I cant open any of my SMS messages. Did a hard reset with no luck as well as deleted some of my extraneous apps. Nothing, so I think we're going to try a factory reset next. Irritating as all get out!

stukon234

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
when i first recieved ota update everything was very sluggish... had to reinstall downloaded apps. by the next day everything that i was typing in search fields, phone numbers i dialed, and other fields were all appearing in a red or pinkish color. didn't know if this was malware or virus so i let it go for couple of days. also there were frequent data drops (in orange county -so cal-) which led to one complete data loss soon after. i had to do factory reset and after this the red/pinkish text disappeared and returned to green. running much more stable now. losing flash on websites sucked and i didnt know what to do. i downloaded apk file from friend and now able to view most flash sites. kinda strange though i use stock browser most of time and flash content only plays when im in incognito mode. ill take what i can im just glad im able to see website video. when i use google maps navigation it works fine and i like different voice for guidance. kinda strange also that sometimes when given navigation prompts, it starts with gingerbread voice then reverts to ics voice (weird). seems like their is only one volume control for everything (kinda annoying). Battery doesn't last very long at all (still running stock battery ) so i will be upgrading to much higher capacity one. Facebook and live wallpapers drain battery very fast. so glad i can now run Time Warner Cable live tv app now so i can watch all my channels. hope this stabilizes phone now. I'm do for upgrade next month and will be keeping this for a while. New Phones get released very quickly so ill wait a bit. went to verizon store other day to see DNA to my surprise it was on 4glte and tried to use browser... it took forever compared to my dinosaur tbolt. Anyway, last year my data drops began around Easter and lasted all the way until this OTA. I hope things will get ironed-out. Thanks for everyone's posts on Android Central... it has been very helpful to me.
'

bricon123

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Hey Unobtanium, thanks! Just what I was looking for. Hopefully 808 checks back and sees your advice. I think we both know way more about our TB's than we want, because we had to so it would work full potential. There are definitely others here who know a LOT more than I will, or want to. Lol. Hell, I'm scared to factory reset my phone, let alone root it. But someone answered yes to your query about full backup if rooted, and that just might make me put my big boy pants on and Jump into the deep end of the root pool. (Mixed metaphors, gotta love them)
Again, thanks for being "the super guy" and taking my not too hidden hints. Appreciate it.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey Unobtanium, thanks! .... Appreciate it.

No problem. Screenshots are easy with ICS: Power + Home, they go into your camera shots gallery.

BTW, one other thing I have noticed is the LTE signal seems to be more stable. I also was in a place to day that I normally get no data or voice and still had no data but voice was full strength. I'm also been around my mom's today, a place where I've previously had drops to 3G and random reboots and so far, so good with this update.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey Unobtanium, thanks! Just what I was looking for. Hopefully 808 checks back and sees your advice. I think we both know way more about our TB's than we want, because we had to so it would work full potential. There are definitely others here who know a LOT more than I will, or want to. Lol. Hell, I'm scared to factory reset my phone, let alone root it. But someone answered yes to your query about full backup if rooted, and that just might make me put my big boy pants on and Jump into the deep end of the root pool. (Mixed metaphors, gotta love them)
Again, thanks for being "the super guy" and taking my not too hidden hints. Appreciate it.

Thanks from me to Unobtanium as well. I've been slammed with work and didn't get a chance to get back to this, but when I did, I found that he did a great job of explaining things!

jreid19

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
The text message issue, ie messages won't load, seems to a big one and I too was extremely hesitant to do the factory reset. I did find some info elsewhere that cleared it up for me. The first suggestion was to go to settings> apps> running then stop messages and restart it. I found a second suggestion as well which was to plug the tbolt into the charger, then go to settings> display and turn off sleep mode. Then go into messages and just let the loading screen sit. I combined then two and about 15 minutes later my texts were back and good to go. Before trying this I had let my phone sit and try to load a few times, once for over an hour and once for about 4 hrs each time with sleep mode engaged and neither worked. Hopefully this helps and ends some of the text messaging frustration.

adamhach

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that pictures taken with the stock HTC camera are now saving to a different folder? Is there anyway to change this so it saves in the same place as all my old pictures?

ddonahueiup

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Well I factory reset the phone and now it's working a lot better since. Phone loads right away and it is pretty speedy. Sucked some hours lost but it also made me reevaluate what apps are necessary

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

adamhach

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Try the app Sound Profile - it lets you separate the ringer and notification. I was annoyed by the same issue but this app solves it quite nicely.

Darkaine

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
So far my phone is completely unusable for any normal functions since this update. Games are fine as long as I have the patience to get to one and open it because of how slow and laggy everything is. I don't even text anymore because it drives me crazy. Can I somehow go back to gb cause ics sucks for me so far. I really don't want to do a factory reset if I can avoid it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams