What is everyone's thoughts on ics on the tbolt

ddonahueiup

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
So far my phone is completely unusable for any normal functions since this update. Games are fine as long as I have the patience to get to one and open it because of how slow and laggy everything is. I don't even text anymore because it drives me crazy. Can I somehow go back to gb cause ics sucks for me so far. I really don't want to do a factory reset if I can avoid it.

I would do another factory reset in a heart beat over ginger bread and having to use go launcher. This is better IMO than ginger bread

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

wolf howl

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I would do another factory reset in a heart beat over ginger bread and having to use go launcher. This is better IMO than ginger bread

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I agree. A factory reset would make a lot of sense in the case above and would likely lead to fixing the issues.

zentenn

Mar 24, 2011
forums.delphiforums.com
So far I love the update. The phone is faster and I don't loose connection like I was before with several apps. With that being said, the one thing I don't like is that I can't have the volume be what I want. The slide bar now has set points now, and I want my notification sound to be inbetween the lowest setting and no volume. Is there something out there I can use to fix this?
Thanks in advance

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Hope you don't mind me jumping in because I'm normally on the Samsung forum.

My friend got the new update on his thunderbolt and doesn't like the new ring swipe thing to open phone. Is there a way to take that off without rooting?

He swears it wasn't there before the update but I think he always had a downward swipe thing to open.

Thanks all!

Sent from my Samung "Brick"

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Hope you don't mind me jumping in because I'm normally on the Samsung forum.

My friend got the new update on his thunderbolt and doesn't like the new ring swipe thing to open phone. Is there a way to take that off without rooting?

He swears it wasn't there before the update but I think he always had a downward swipe thing to open.

Thanks all!

The ring lockscreen is new for the TBolt as it is a feature of Sense 3.6. If he wants to get the downward swipe back, he'll need to use a lockscreen replacement app like Widget Locker.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Big thanks!!

Also with the widget locker can he take off the swipe completely?

Widget locker is a customizable lockscreen, so he can set it up as he wants. There's still going to be some kind of swiping, though, as that is how lockscreens work.

mman609

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If what your friend is really trying to avoid is any swiping at all, the No Lock app shuts out the lock screen entirely. Awake the phone and you are immediately on the home screen. Not everyone would want their phone setup like this, but if you do, the No Lock app works well.

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If what your friend is really trying to avoid is any swiping at all, the No Lock app shuts out the lock screen entirely. Awake the phone and you are immediately on the home screen. Not everyone would want their phone setup like this, but if you do, the No Lock app works well.

thanks I'll try that!

rickp3131

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Sluggish is putting it mildly. Since last night's upgrade, I've rebooted a number of times hoping to improve performance. After one reboot, it stopped connecting to WIFI. The battery was completely dead after 2 hours so I did a hard reset. It connects to WIFI now but battery isn't much better; far worse than GB. There is a 2-5 sec delay when selecting anything. I'm getting use to answering the phone as swiping up doesn't respond immediately; it usually takes a couple attempts and consistent with the the 2-5 second delay.

I really like ICS on my Nexus 7 and looked forward to this upgrade but seems the OS is too much for TB's technology. I upgrade phones in a couple months so can live with it for now.

As an update, I had Ad Blocker Plus loaded on my TB but noticed it was consuming most of the resources so I uninstalled it. There has been a dramatic improvement since. The phone is slightly slower than GB but usable again. The biggest improvement is the battery. Before unloading AB+, I was lucky to get 3-4 hours with hardly any use. Today, I was back to typical use; 3, 15+ minute calls and checking emails. The batter hit the 1/2 way point. If this holds up, I may wait to upgrade phones to get a better deal.

I also want to correct my previous post. My Nexus 7 has Jelly Bean, not ICS.

Bakerboy2253

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I did the factory reset and thing seem a little better, can?t find my beautiful widgets, also need help on one thing.
I use touchdown for outlook email exchange. Now every time I get an email I get a sound notification. How do I turn this off?

ddonahueiup

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I did the factory reset and thing seem a little better, can?t find my beautiful widgets, also need help on one thing.
I use touchdown for outlook email exchange. Now every time I get an email I get a sound notification. How do I turn this off?

You'll need to re download b.w. Idk about voice mail

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

yngstr

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I'll give my thoughts on the update.........

Well, I woke up this morning with all my bags packed, just a little work to do before my flight. I pick up my T-bolt and find the thing is barely usable. Apparently Verizon rolled out the update with no option to accept or decline it. I wish I knew what the **** they were thinking......all my business contacts/etc are on the phone. Of course I have everything backed-up on the laptop but I shouldn't have to play with this crap hours before a business trip. I can't imagine the chaos if this had happened when I was on a customer site or on a conference call. The carriers need to quit treating these devices like they are only used for video games and facebook.

I guess at this point I'll try the factory reset and see how it goes........

jdd77

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the "sluggish" problem that many others have stated. Also, the battery drains significantly faster than with GB and I think this is due to how ICS handles backround data, syncing, and wifi. I'm sure there's a benificial reason for the power usage/battery drain tradeoff.
A couple things I noticed:
1. Even with Auto Sync turned OFF and mail and weather set to 'manual', I still recieve e-mail, weather, and app updates and can still access Google Play.. where as in GB I had to turn ON auto sync to access Google Play. ..So I'm not sure exactly whats going on in the backround.
2. WiFi is constantly scanning and doesnt stay connected sometimes. I work 12 hour shifts and in GB, I always connected to wifi at work. In ICS, it seems to have trouble staying connected. When I get home, battery is at 20% less than it was in GB.
3. There are alot of cool features in ICS but for some reason I can't access some of them. There is an 'inverted screen' option in Web settings that changes the backround to black and text to white. This makes it easy on the eyes in a dark setting. I can get to this menu but the option to select it is greyed-out.
4. An option that- I think would save battery- is to disable wifi scanning, which can be found in the 'advanced' menu under wifi settings. But this too is greyed-out unless wifi is on (and why would I disable it while I'm using it?) ...It almost seems like I have a "restricted" form of ICS lol.
5. Not sure if this option was here before ICS, but in settings-> privacy, there's an option to 'back up my settings' that is checked by defaut. I noticed this after I did a factory reset and found that everything was still on my phone.. even the wallpaper I was using before the reset.
With the wifi, battery, and auto sync issues aside I am generally happy with ICS. Just think that its a little too much and a little too late for the Thunderbolt. If anything, its something new to play around with till I upgrade in 2 months..

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll give my thoughts on the update.........

Well, I woke up this morning with all my bags packed, just a little work to do before my flight. I pick up my T-bolt and find the thing is barely usable. Apparently Verizon rolled out the update with no option to accept or decline it. I wish I knew what the **** they were thinking......all my business contacts/etc are on the phone. Of course I have everything backed-up on the laptop but I shouldn't have to play with this crap hours before a business trip. I can't imagine the chaos if this had happened when I was on a customer site or on a conference call. The carriers need to quit treating these devices like they are only used for video games and facebook.

I guess at this point I'll try the factory reset and see how it goes........

I agree and understand the frustration. I'd be rip roaring pissed if that happened to me. It's unfortunate that the only way to take full control over your device is to root it, then you have the option to block OTA updates and can then update if/when you see fit. When my Thunderbolt was my primary/only phone (Note 2 now) I did that, freezing the phone on the old 2.11.605.9 software from Dec. 2011. I also froze my Nexus 7 on the older 4.1.2 Jelly Bean software as I didn't like the constant update cycle which felt like being a beta tester for Google at times. :( But that (rooting/blocking OTA's) is not always practical for many or in fact possible if it's a work device. Many times there is nothing wrong with the older software and no justifiable reason to update it. If it isn't broke...

Spacemaker24

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Still running well for me. I had some lag issues earlier today but they were ameliorated faster doing a simple restart.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

madmacdad

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Where did my Thunderbolt go?

People always made fun of my HTC Thunderbolt for being a dinosaur even though it was faster than theirs and had more memory ...now it sucks just like their phone does. I would have been an HTC and Verizon customer for life now I cannot wait to get rid of both. My Thunderbolt is so messed up now it has taken me almost 30 minutes to post this comment. Sluggish would be an understatement! I loved my phone and now I feel like it has been stolen from me!

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
People always made fun of my HTC Thunderbolt for being a dinosaur even though it was faster than theirs and had more memory ...now it sucks just like their phone does. I would have been an HTC and Verizon customer for life now I cannot wait to get rid of both. My Thunderbolt is so messed up now it has taken me almost 30 minutes to post this comment. Sluggish would be an understatement! I loved my phone and now I feel like it has been stolen from me!

What phones were u referring to lol?

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci