1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default my Thunderbotl is extremely slow after an update this morning

I woke up this morning to my phone making a weird noise. I guess Verizon did some kind of automatic update. There's a new way to unlock the phone (swipe up instead of down), the Notifications screen is different, the phone/all apps/personalization icons are different etc. Worst of all, my phone is barely usable. It takes forever for any touch to register, most of the times when I try to do anything a circle/working icon appears and it takes forever. I tried playing a round of Scramble With Friends and it's impossible. My mail starting checking itself even though I always had that turned off. Some of my icons have disappeared. The phone isn't recognizing my SD card and tells me I have no photos.

Is there a way I can just reset the phone and start from scratch? It is unusable as it is right now. I've had the phone since November 2011 and can't afford to buy anything else right now.

Default Re: my Thunderbotl is extremely slow after an update this morning

What did Verizon say when you called? Did they have you do a factory reset?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by poodlebone View Post
    I woke up this morning to my phone making a weird noise. I guess Verizon did some kind of automatic update. There's a new way to unlock the phone (swipe up instead of down), the Notifications screen is different, the phone/all apps/personalization icons are different etc. Worst of all, my phone is barely usable. It takes forever for any touch to register, most of the times when I try to do anything a circle/working icon appears and it takes forever. I tried playing a round of Scramble With Friends and it's impossible. My mail starting checking itself even though I always had that turned off. Some of my icons have disappeared. The phone isn't recognizing my SD card and tells me I have no photos.

Is there a way I can just reset the phone and start from scratch? It is unusable as it is right now. I've had the phone since November 2011 and can't afford to buy anything else right now.
    Yep, you sure can. Go into Settings, Storage, then scroll down to factory reset and choose it. I really think it will help.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks. I rebooted the phone last night and it's a little better but still so much slower than it was when I first got it. It's now recognizing my SD card so everything is pretty good for now. When I have a little time I'll just make sure anything that might be on the phone that I really want to save is backed up. Does a factory reset mess with the SD card or just what's stored on the phone?

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by poodlebone View Post
    Does a factory reset mess with the SD card or just what's stored on the phone?
    Factory reset is not supposed to mess with the SD card. That said, hook it up to your computer and copy the entire card to a new folder on your hard drive. Alternatively, I THINK you can put a new SD card in your phone (phone off), restart, let the phone provision the SD card, then phone off, swap SD cards back and copy everything to that SD card.

BEFORE you back-up the SD card, any apps with data in them should be exported to the SD card or up to Drive, Dropbox or other "Cloud" storage (I forgot to do this with a couple of my apps). My Backup Pro will back up your SMS, and you can back-up your contacts a number of ways (copy to SD card, move them all to Google, or simplest of all the Verizon Backup Assistant). Look up and write down the settings for your e-mail accounts. I use the Gmail app for that, but I use the native HTC app for my others. Outlook.com was the most obscure to look back up on the web, because Microsoft wants you to use their former Hotmail app, or mobile web access.

Thumbs up Re: my Thunderbotl is extremely slow after an update this morning

My phone was very slow after the mandatory update so what worked for me was deleting "Temporary files from HTC apps" had 1.5GB of space
    after that the phone respoded a whole lot better and this did not delete anything on my SD card.
    Settings/ Storage/ Make more space/ "Temporary files from HTC apps"/ and erase the temp files
    hope it helps

Believe it or not, just taking out the battery and puttting it back in did the trick for me. There has been a significant improvement in speed from answering calls, opening mail, text, and surfing the web.

Has anyone taken out their battery and performed a factory reset?

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Stew View Post
    Has anyone taken out their battery and performed a factory reset?
    I pulled the battery and SIM card after the upgrade and was still having issues, which is why I went with the factory reset.

Thanks. I'll give the factory reset a go this evening.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Another voice here supporting a factory reset. My TB was very laggy after the update and not pleasant to use. I used MyBackup Pro to save to the SD card and then completed the reset. While it did take time to reorganize the phone after restoring from the backup and a few items of data were lost, the phone is now back to its old self and much more pleasant to use. The lag I saw after the update to ICS is now gone.

Factory reset saved my Thunderbolt! Runs SO much better since I reset it last night. Its like a brand new phone.

Several have discussed the factory reset. Donít you all think itís a little ridiculous that we would have to go through all this to be able to properly use an update?

I am almost appalled that I would need to do a factory reset and then waste my valuable time, reinstalling everything on a phone, settings, font, widgets, etc, that I have had for 2 years. Sorry but this is just another screw up on the TB, whether HTC or VZW. What a love hate relationship with this phone. I am beginning to see why my son jumped on an iPhone 5 from his rooted TB. You know whatÖit just works!

It a shame there arenít other good voice/data (same time) phones on the market from VZW.

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerboy2253 View Post
    Several have discussed the factory reset. Donít you all think itís a little ridiculous that we would have to go through all this to be able to properly use an update?
    In my admittedly limited Android experience, this is more akin to an OS Upgrade than just an interim update. Similar to going from Windows XP to Win 7, except that in Windows you re-format first then install. These are not "phones" in the way we used to think of them, they are pocket computers that also happen to do phone calling. Some in other threads have had good results from doing the battery/SIM pull, but many (including myself) have not.

To a certain extent, those of us that got the Thunderbolt were beta testers. I didn't get mine until late May 2011, so by that time there were a couple of other choices, but I wanted the FM radio tuner and the kickstand. I also almost went for the Commando, even though it was a 3G device. The "first day" crowd was braver than I am.

If the next Casio unit hits the right marks, that's probably my next pocket computer, if I can get up the funds to purchase it off contract and keep my unlimited data. I'm happy enough with my ICS / Sense 3.6 Bolt that if I have to hang onto it longer, I'm good.

As for simultaneous voice/data, as Verizon moves to VoLTE, that will be the system-wide fix, I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mman609 View Post
    Another voice here supporting a factory reset. My TB was very laggy after the update and not pleasant to use. I used MyBackup Pro to save to the SD card and then completed the reset. While it did take time to reorganize the phone after restoring from the backup and a few items of data were lost, the phone is now back to its old self and much more pleasant to use. The lag I saw after the update to ICS is now gone.
    ^^^^^What he said^^^^^