Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Adam Tentis
  • 2 Post By realitydigg
  • 1 Post By Bakerboy2253
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default POST ICS dont complain about issues until you have done a factory reset!

I see all kinds of post on this forum and others about people's issues after the ics update and I dont get it. Why are are you not doing a factory reset before wasting time trying to diagnose a problem on a forum? It has been known since the release of the original droid that apps and other data on a phone do not always jive well with large os updates . Factory reset and boom better phone than ever! There are apps to back things up. Hello google+ instant upload!

/end of rant
    Thanked by:
    Topgonzo, ddonahueiup and johnriii like this.

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.11 3++

Default Re: POST ICS dont complain about issues until you have done a factory reset!

First, I did the ICS leak - fresh. Loved it. Yes, there were issues, but it much more better vs what I was running. Then caught word of official ICS. Did a full nandroid and My backup of everything. Ensured latest kernel and radio - then flashed the ICS.

Waited for it to settle in and then slowly began restoring apps and data. Yes, I did restore *some* system data like play lists. App Extractor was helpful in regaining my WiFi settings.

I am happy.

So, like the above said, do a full backup and the reset. Your problems will most likely vanish.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Default Re: POST ICS dont complain about issues until you have done a factory reset!

My question is this: will a factory reset make the phone every bit as fast as it was pre-ICS? mine's a little slow to do some things, but nothing that's a dealbreaker, really. Is it worth the hassle of a reset, or will i get no real improvement? Is ICS just generally a bit laggy on the TB, no matter what?

ROM
    BAMF Forever 1.11 3++

It's kinda like upgrading from XP > Vista > Windows 7 and never reformatting like new. But unlike, Windows, you cannot format the system partition, only the data and cache. Unless rooted of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    My question is this: will a factory reset make the phone every bit as fast as it was pre-ICS? mine's a little slow to do some things, but nothing that's a dealbreaker, really. Is it worth the hassle of a reset, or will i get no real improvement? Is ICS just generally a bit laggy on the TB, no matter what?
    I can't give you a perfect answer because the Bolt is so temperamental. Each one acts and reacts differently to the same circumstances; even taking a screenshot is different on different handsets. However, I do think that a factory reset will improve the performance of the phone.

Sent from my ASUS TF5000T.

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

I knuckled down and did a factory reset. Took FOREVER to get everything back up (Amazon App Store was so freaking slow to re-download everything) and running, but the phone does seem to be working faster now. I haven't really put it through its paces today, but it seems a bit snappier.
    Thanked by:

I did a factory reset after deciding that there was no other way to find out if my phone would be slow and laggy forever. The good news is that the phone is much faster, and n better and scrolling through screens etc. The bad news is that even using mybackup this is a lousy process too many settings didn't come back over. The apps are saved, but you have to re-install them, and settings are lost. Maybe I missed an option, but it was more painful than I felt it needed to be.
    Thanked by:
    Who? 
    Mike_is_Mike and Who? like this.

Quote Originally Posted by realitydigg View Post
    I did a factory reset after deciding that there was no other way to find out if my phone would be slow and laggy forever. The good news is that the phone is much faster, and n better and scrolling through screens etc. The bad news is that even using mybackup this is a lousy process too many settings didn't come back over. The apps are saved, but you have to re-install them, and settings are lost. Maybe I missed an option, but it was more painful than I felt it needed to be.
    AHEM!!!
    Mike_is_Mike likes this.

I woke up to a new OS and a phone that I couldn't use ( as a phone). I found this out early in my work day when no one could hear me when I called them. Being at work, I didn't have time to call CS, go on-line, or to a Verizon store. So on my way home after work, and not having a working phone all day, I went to my local Verizon store for help. I was told there was no know issue with the phone and since it was out of warrenty all they were willing to do is sell (upgrade) me a new phone at regular price and commitments. I was pissed and said thanks, then left.

When I got home I called customer service, which was very professional, and they were aware of the speaker problem. After more than an hour on the phone and trying a couple of their fixes that didn't work, they had me do a factory reset. Once that was done, the SD card was listed as "damaged" and everything on it was lost. The phone was sort of working, it had an echo when talking on it. The CS rep said even though my phone was out of warrenty he would send me a refurb replacement.......it will arrive Tuesday.

The CS rep was great, but the whole process of losing data and phone service for several days for an "improvement" that I didn't ask for or want is a major pain in the you-know-what.

With nothing to lose, I reformatted the SD card and that seemed to have "fixed" the "damaged" card. I'll wait to see what the refurb phone is like on Tuesday. I have been eligible for an upgrade for a couple months, but wasn't interested in getting a new phone just yet.....I hope the refurb works.
    Sent from my iMac using my fingers and bluetooth keyboard.

Haha literally right after I got the ICS update on my Bolt, I dropped it and cracked the screen at work. Only waited forever for the update, then to do that lol. Still works though with the busted screen. I just upgraded to the Maxx HD and love this device.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Tentis View Post
    I see all kinds of post on this forum and others about people's issues after the ics update and I dont get it. Why are are you not doing a factory reset before wasting time trying to diagnose a problem on a forum? It has been known since the release of the original droid that apps and other data on a phone do not always jive well with large os updates . Factory reset and boom better phone than ever! There are apps to back things up. Hello google+ instant upload!

/end of rant
    Because you shouldn't have to. It's as simple as that.

You really think that Google would ever tell the average consumer that they must start fresh every time there's an upgrade?

Also, considering that you're now the self-appointed master of the hard reset, please elaborate on the various backups you perform before doing a hard reset so that we can all follow your advice. "there are apps for that" is insufficient, and please do not recommend any backup apps that require root, because the average consumer is not rooted. Let's see a step by step backup instructions from you that make a hard reset not a massive pain for the average consumer. I promise to be your first ginuea pig after you provide step by step instructions. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by whatwhat; 02-17-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Whatwhat,
    I'm sure someone can put together a better and more comprehensive list of the steps to complete before doing a factory reset, but here is what I did.
    1. Bought MyBackup Pro - a $4.99 purchase on the Play store. The trial version should work the same for 30 days if I remember correctly, but I was willing to support the dev. This works with a stock, unrooted TB such as mine, but it might not be able to complete quite as thorough a back up as with an unrooted phone. (see below for the few things that did not backup completely.)
    2. Backed up my phone to my SD card. This was a two step process. The app has a separate backup section for Apps and for Data. I simply chose "all" for both sections. This went smoothly.
    3. Many people recommend backing up the SD card to their computer before proceeding. The Factory Reset should not affect the SD card. Some want to be extra careful. I did not back my SD card up to my computer because I'm just a risky kind of guy and did not have any problems.
    4. I competed a factory reset. (Settings, Storage, and then scroll down to the bottom where you will find "Factory Reset Data") I made sure my phone was plugged in and charging so I would not run out of juice in the process. The reset process was automatic, with the phone restarting several times.
    5. Because the reset removes installed apps, I went to the Play store and reinstalled My Backup Pro. Others are reinstalled via the restore process.
    6. I then chose the Restore option in the MyBackup Pro. Again, this had two sections, apps and data restore. Complete both. This was a bit of time consuming action. I had to chose the install button for each app, one at a time, and then Done before the next app was offered.
    7. I restarted my phone after the restore was completed. The phone worked very well after this, with a few minor glitches.
    Some of my icons did not appear on my home page, but I was just able to add them as before. A few of my apps lost their settings and data (most did not). For example, my Tracks app lost all the recorded routes I had saved, but had not explicitly exported in the settings of that app. Some of the settings in some of the apps were lost and I had to reconfigure them. This included when to sync and such. This was not a terrible task to complete. The Wi-Fi widget that was available no longer worked as before - switching wi-fi on and off with a single toggle. Now it brings you to another multistep screen. I replaced this with the Wi-Fi toggle widget from the Play Store and all is like before.

My phone works much better than before the reset. It is not nearly so laggy. My battery consumption is fine. Perhaps we should not need to do all of this, but I did it to restore my phone to its old self.

I hope this helps. Sorry if my list is incomplete or inaccurate. I was working from memory of something I did a week ago.
    Last edited by mman609; 02-17-2013 at 03:54 PM.

mman609

Whatwhat,
    I'm sure someone can put together a better and more comprehensive list of the steps to complete before doing a factory reset, but here is what I did.

Several threads in the T'bolt forum urge users to do a factory reset upon receipt of the ICS update. This particular thread and mman609's post among others in this thread were blessings to me. Thank you all.

After the ICS upgrade, my T'bolt was a mess - jagged, choking performance in just about everything - but especially in Temple Run 2...which I just could not stand!

I had read about but never attempted a hard reset. A few hours before I found this thread, I purchased MyBackup Pro in the belief that I was going to have to do something to stem the worsening performance tide. I then found this thread and mman609's post that detailed the process I had decided upon but lacked the courage to try. Reading that post propelled me to complete the reset, a process that has transformed my T'bolt. Amazing outcome. I love my phone again.

I unconditionally recommend a hard reset - especially mman609's process, to all ICS recipients.

Quote Originally Posted by bcoley View Post
    mman609

Whatwhat,

Several threads in the T'bolt forum urge users to do a factory reset upon receipt of the ICS update. This particular thread and mman609's post among others in this thread were blessings to me. Thank you all.

After the ICS upgrade, my T'bolt was a mess - jagged, choking performance in just about everything - but especially in Temple Run 2...which I just could not stand!

I had read about but never attempted a hard reset. A few hours before I found this thread, I purchased MyBackup Pro in the belief that I was going to have to do something to stem the worsening performance tide. I then found this thread and mman609's post that detailed the process I had decided upon but lacked the courage to try. Reading that post propelled me to complete the reset, a process that has transformed my T'bolt. Amazing outcome. I love my phone again.

I unconditionally recommend a hard reset - especially mman609's process, to all ICS recipients.
    So does Temple Run 2 actually work better for you now? I loved it on Gingerbread, but I can't stand it on ICS.

ROM
    Stock

Love ICS, can't stand the lag any more.

Reset is starting as soon as I can get it to start (I'm on the "erase everything" button but when I press it it just briefly goes green then nothing happens).

EDIT: Started. Damn this loud thunderbolt startup sound is annoying at work!

If I backup my phone using My Backup Pro and do the factory reset, will it restore all my progress in my games that I have, like Angry Birds and Dragonvale?

jfred837,
    I cannot specifically answer your question about MyBackup Pro's actions with your two games as I do not have them installed. However, my experience was that if an app stored information within the app in the phone's memory, then reinstalling the app from the backup resulted in losing that information. However, if the information was stored on the SD card, then the app was able to access that information after the reinstall. Many apps have an option to backup or save information on the SD card, but that must be requested from within the app before the backup. My results were mixed. Several apps had the option to backup or save to the SD, but I failed to do so and lost those histories. Others that I remembered to save to SD came back fine.

Finally did a factory reset last night on my TB and the performance is much, much improved! Definitely recommend it to anyone that is experiencing issues post ICS. I haven't reinstalled GO Launcher on the device yet, but so far so good. Thanks for the advice everyone.

I used mybackup to save my apps and unfortunately when I restored my apps, none of my progress in any of my games was restored. There goes 2 years of work down the drain. Oh well, at least the factory reset did wonders for my phone. It runs so much better.

Speaking of MyBackup...

It backed up my bookmarks. When I restore bookmarks it says that it is restoring 35 bookmarks. When I open the browser only one bookmark is showing. Where are the rest of my bookmarks? Any clue where they are and how to get them back into the stock browser?

Same thing happened to me, only one bookmark was restored.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMBMARKT View Post
    Speaking of MyBackup...

It backed up my bookmarks. When I restore bookmarks it says that it is restoring 35 bookmarks. When I open the browser only one bookmark is showing. Where are the rest of my bookmarks? Any clue where they are and how to get them back into the stock browser?

Having text issues before and after factory reset. Never had issues on gingerbread. It will randomly cut off long text messages and I will not receive a portion. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I have seen this issue being discussed on other websites as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

I also was having issues with ICS. Things were slow and there were other problems too. I finally did the factory reset and now the phone is what it should have been like 2 years ago. Everything is better. I was thinking about getting and Iphone 5, but not any more. The Bolt rocks!!

It is true that if you do the reset things get much better. But, for me, it went right back to being sluggish over a short period of time.