Who is ditching the thunderbolt and who's keeping it?

obidos

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My contract expires in about 2 weeks but after the ICS update I'm enjoying my stock day 1 Tbolt even more. I'm not in any hurry to lose my unlimited data so as long as my Thunderbolt is working I'm keeping it.

Ed Witles

May 4, 2011
Visit site
The tbolt will work just like it did when new - it's perception and the new apps that crave power. An 8088 IBM w/ 256k of memory and 20mb drive will perform exactly today like it did in 1985ish. Only if you use software that was for that period and specs. Liek a new car, would enjoy a new phone but after scoring one off eBay, I'm set for perhaps a few more years.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
The tbolt will work just like it did when new - it's perception and the new apps that crave power. An 8088 IBM w/ 256k of memory and 20mb drive will perform exactly today like it did in 1985ish. Only if you use software that was for that period and specs. Liek a new car, would enjoy a new phone but after scoring one off eBay, I'm set for perhaps a few more years.

I understand what you're getting at, but it's not just perception as newer hardware will run older software better (not always the case for newer software on older hardware). Case in point, I have two laptops running Windows XP Pro with the same installed software; one with an Intel i5 quad core processor (and faster spinning 7200 rpm hard drive, faster memory and system bus), the other a single core Pentium (with a 5400 rpm hard drive, slower memory and system bus). You can guess which one performs better. :) It's such a night and day difference that it's a pain to use the older laptop anymore (even if the OS/software is loaded fresh). Now if I were to put Windows 7 on the older laptop, it's a complete dog whereas the newer one is ok (Windows XP still outperforms Windows 7 on the newer one!). I think it would be safe to say the result would be similar if I could put the exact same Thunderbolt software (Gingerbread or ICS) on my newer Note 2. :)

As to the thread topic, I still have my Thunderbolt as a backup phone, but have moved on to the Note 2 (last November), so don't think I really count. :) I have toyed with the idea of putting ICS on the Thunderbolt, but since there hasn't been a full stock ICS RUU available I could flash, it's just too much of a pain otherwise to mess with (I'd have to unroot and unblock OTA's). Not to mention every time I break out the ol' Thunderbolt, it's kind of a pain to deal with (performance wise) compared to the Note 2. It'll do in a pinch as a backup, but I prefer to leave it in the night stand drawer. :p

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would like to upgrade to Droid DNA, Droid HD Maxx, SG3, or Note 2 but it is a little complicated right now. I wish Verizon hadn't changed their policy on unlimited data and upgrades. I only have one line with Verizon and the Share Everything Plan is not to my advantage in money and data areas. It just makes my decision more difficult about how to deal with the upgrade. I trying to decide if I should pay full price for a new phone or take the subsidized upgrade from Verizon and loss unlimited data with higher monthly bill. I will make my decision sometime this year because my Thunderbolt is showing its age even after ICS update.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

I got my note 2 for $37, although it was a fluke due to Best buy error. Even so, you can get it for $100 on pm to sams club , with $50 gc, if you qualify. Start a new line of service, and etf right away from best buy. It would be $400 or $450 without gc. Expensive, but cheaper than paying full retail.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

wolf howl

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Like oberkc, I'm in transition to a Nexus 4. My Verizon contract expires next month (in almost exactly a month from today), and I'm heading to T-Mobile the very next day it expires to activate the N4. I've liked the TBolt and intend to continue using it as a media player (so I'll be backing up my game data to restore into the N4 and then do a factory reset to wipe it and have clean set up for it as a media player).

This is my situation too. After this last update I love my bolt even more as I've not had the issues many have and now it's just that much better. I'm thinking N4 on the Tmobile network though but will be sad to leave the bolt behind. She will get a second life though as a media player, small tablet for my son to play his games on, etc...

Definitely wouldn't be replacing otherwise.

Sent from my HTC Flyer via Tapatalk 2

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It's like giving up an old toy! Are you renewing contract on the thunderbolt it would make a great first phone (; . If not it still would be a great phone for your son

jaboop!

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I would consider changing carriers I know Verizon is the best coverage but I'd take unlimited data over coverage any day.

jaboop!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would consider changing carriers I know Verizon is the best coverage but I'd take unlimited data over coverage any day.

jaboop!

I got service on Verizon in an underground parking structure. Others on att and tmoble had no signal. Say an emergency happened in that spot. On that day, I would prefer to have Verizon over other carriers, and, had that been an emergency, it could have theoretically saved someone's life. Obviously, Verizon doesn't have the best service everywhere, but they do have the best total network coverage. For me, I am a bit cautious, and would rather pay more for peace of mind. Though I certainly understand that everyone has different priorities. Just make sure to check around with friends and family members to ensure that you get good service with which ever carrier you choose at the places that you go to.

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
My contract expires in about 2 weeks but after the ICS update I'm enjoying my stock day 1 Tbolt even more. I'm not in any hurry to lose my unlimited data so as long as my Thunderbolt is working I'm keeping it.

+1
My sentiments exactly.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I got service on Verizon in an underground parking structure. Others on att and tmoble had no signal. Say an emergency happened in that spot. On that day, I would prefer to have Verizon over other carriers, and, had that been an emergency, it could have theoretically saved someone's life. Obviously, Verizon doesn't have the best service everywhere, but they do have the best total network coverage. For me, I am a bit cautious, and would rather pay more for peace of mind. Though I certainly understand that everyone has different priorities. Just make sure to check around with friends and family members to ensure that you get good service with which ever carrier you choose at the places that you go to.

While I understand that sentiment, I also find that there are limits to what I am willing to spend for that peace of mind. I also remember living during times when the only phone I had was attached to a wall in my house. I lived like that before, so living with a phone that has coverage less than everywhere is something I can live with, again. To save close to seven hundred dollars a year, I am willing to make that trade.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
While I understand that sentiment, I also find that there are limits to what I am willing to spend for that peace of mind. I also remember living during times when the only phone I had was attached to a wall in my house. I lived like that before, so living with a phone that has coverage less than everywhere is something I can live with, again. To save close to seven hundred dollars a year, I am willing to make that trade.

I certainly understand. Many people use other carriers. Everyone has to weigh the pros and cons and decide accordingly for their situation.

Btw, you can keep any Verizon phone, unactivated without service, and it can still call 911. Actually, any phone can do this. That way you are covered for the best coverage in case of emergency. Of course, it is inconvenient to carry two phones.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Btw, you can keep any Verizon phone, unactivated without service, and it can still call 911. Actually, any phone can do this.

That is a great point! Having abandoned my beloved thunderbolt for a nexus 4 on T-Mobile, I notice the nexus can pick up both T-Mobile and ATT signals. While it doesn't work on ATT without a plan, I wonder if it would use an ATT network for a 911 call, should this be necessary.

drew_p

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I had my tbolt since launch and have loved it. But a few months ago it started showing is age with the proximity sensor going out, earpiece speaker blown and almost the entire right hand of the screen unusable. I upgraded to the Note 2 and am pleased with it, but still carry the bolt. At work I use it for the fm radio all day and at home the kids can play games and enjoy it. I'm certain I'll never really fully get rid of in my opinion the best phone I've ever owned.

no I'm not happy to see you, it's just a Note 2 in my pocket

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to android forums and thanks for the post! Anyway it seems that a lot of people are doing what your doing. Is the thunderbolt still under a contract?

jaboop!

GoNavyMike

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
If it's a company phone why are you even thinking of changing to something you have to pay for? My last job gave me an iPhone, I already had my Tbolt, but I used both for work. That is how I discovered that the iPhone sucks except for sound and display.

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon contract is up in 2 weeks. In the next month or two I will be switching to Sprint for a HTC One or S4 and unlimited data. I talked to a Verizon rep and they said I would "keep my unlimited data FOR NOW, if I paid full price for a new phone" but they could not guarantee that it would stay that way. I'm not dropping $700 on a new device only to lose my unlimited data halfway through my contract.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000