Who is ditching the thunderbolt and who's keeping it?

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Thank all of you for your input! Definetly helping me, I'm getting a new phone oh and yea im switching carriers.

jaboop!

ashburn013

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Ditched my 2 year old TB for Nexus 4 (TMo) last week. Took unlimited everything for 2 line ($ 120). Loving the phone a lot. Recently faced painful times with the GPS on the TB so I am happy to have made the switch. Thanks for everyone on this forum for helping/posting with issues I have faced :)

rcmarks314

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I've always liked my Bolt and still do. Seems like the note2 is the best out there right now. But I don't have to have the greatest right now. I can keep my unlimited and in another year I can get a note2 cheap off ebay and still keep the unlimited. I've done the rooting and the bad azz folks had the best roms but when something else came out they bailed on the Bolt. It seems to me the ]Thunderbolt made that group what it is today. No other phone had so many good roms built for it. By all of this I mean no disrespect to any dev. I lost hope for outside roms when no BA roms solved the ringtone issues and after the issues were resolved no new roms came out to take advantage the big V updates so I went back to my stock phone. If something happens to it I'll return the rooted phone to stock and use it untill it dies and worry about the next phone then.

kickstand65

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Y'all are going to think I'm crazy, but I JUST got Bolt. I've had a Droid X for a little over two years and there was really nothing wrong with it. I didn't want to lose my unlimited data and didn't want to spend a bunch of money to upgrade to 4G. Since you can use your verizon phone as a hotspot for free with FoxFi, I DEFINITELY want to keep my unlimited data/ Picked this up refurbed for $70 and never looked back. Would you all recommend updating it from BG to ICS or leave it alone. Thanks for your help in advance.

JVH1982

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Y'all are going to think I'm crazy, but I JUST got Bolt. I've had a Droid X for a little over two years and there was really nothing wrong with it. I didn't want to lose my unlimited data and didn't want to spend a bunch of money to upgrade to 4G. Picked this up refurbed for $70 and never looked back. Would you all recommend updating it from BG to ICS or leave it alone. Thanks for youn advance.

I upgraded to ICS and love it. I stongly encourage a factory data reset, though. ICS tends to be a bit wonky without it.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I second the suggestion to upgrade to ICS and factory reset. My perception is that battery life, response, and GPS signal acquisition are all improved with ICS.

And, no, I don't think you are crazy. The thunderbolt is still a nice phone, capable of doing everything I ask of it. If you believe the verizon prices are worth it even though you are not taking advantage of the phone subsidy, then the thunderbolt is a good option, even today.

I find it Interesting that an editorial at PCMag is complaining that one cannot get top-end android phones with screen sizes much less than 5 inches. For those who prefer the relatively smaller screen, the thunderbolt might even be the best choice! Never mind the rapidly-becoming-extinct memory cards and removeable battery.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I don't think you're crazy at all.
I'm still very happy with my TB.
I'm running Santod's debloated ICS from the latest Official release.
Stability is solid.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I use my tbolt in the bedroom for weather, email, checking security cameras, night light etc. It is wifi only since i have a razr hd maxx now but tbolt worth more to me on wifi only than the pittance i would get if i sell it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Without a large amount of devs and users I would have ditched this phone already and I think that's the same for many others too

jaboop!

Joseph Coates

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't root, run anything custom. My phone is a tool, I use it as such. The TB was my first smartphone and now I know what I use he most and the apps I need. The Razr M will be my next phone, I need a Navigator, Browser, Texting, actually make calls, email, and on occasion the camera but most of all, battery life. That is something the TB doesn't have.

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I plan on keeping mine for some time. Is it the fastest, the latest and greatest, have an ultra hd, pixel craving screen, no. Since may need/want these things, but I don't need that. I also have the extended battery. Sure it adds some bulk, but I can go a full day with heavy use and still be in the green.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

blues2go

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Ditching it for an S4 as soon as I can. Loved the Tbolt for the features, camera, and display, but it is now almost unusable due to next to zero battery life, horrible lags, and random restarts.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to see another android phone with a better camera than the bolt. I am very disappointed that the One has a mere 4 mp. I know all about the supposed big pixels blah, blah, blah but I like to print pictures and zoom on screen and you need more than 4 mp to do that.

Is there an android phone with a better camera than the tbolt?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to see another android phone with a better camera than the bolt. I am very disappointed that the One has a mere 4 mp. I know all about the supposed big pixels blah, blah, blah but I like to print pictures and zoom on screen and you need more than 4 mp to do that.

Is there an android phone with a better camera than the tbolt?

I don't use the camera much on my mobile devices, but pictures on the Note 2 look as good to me if not better than those I've taken with the Thunderbolt. Note 2 has a 8 megapixel camera like the Thunderbolt. :) See this link at Phone Arena for more camera spec comparison between the two: Samsung GALAXY Note II Verizon vs HTC ThunderBolt - Phone specs comparison

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I really consider the note 2 a tablet rather than a phone but that's just me. I think 4.7 inches is ideal for a phone.

Another odd thing is I find the bolt screen better looking than my RAZR maxx HD screen even though the moto has better specs.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I really consider the note 2 a tablet rather than a phone but that's just me. I think 4.7 inches is ideal for a phone.

Another odd thing is I find the bolt screen better looking than my RAZR maxx HD screen even though the moto has better specs.

Yah, the Note 2 may not be for everyone due to the size. I had that concern initially, but you adapt pretty quickly to it and now I can't imagine going back to anything smaller than a 5.5" screen. Anything smaller just looks and feels like a toy now in comparison.

I too always liked the display on the Thunderbolt though. I'm guessing the RAZR Maxx HD may not look as good because of the Pentile matrix display it's using.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think it's simply too warm. All the colors are tinted to red. Bolt screen also appears to have depth somehow.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think it's simply too warm. All the colors are tinted to red. Bolt screen also appears to have depth somehow.

The Note II display standard is more saturated, but that can easily be changed in the settings

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

PhreePhlyer

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
After a year and a half of glitchy performance followed by 5 months of better reliability I should have had in the beginning, I can finally say goodbye to the Thunderbolt. I am, however, making more than a phone change, but moving on to a new OS. My next phone will be the Lumia 928 (When Verizon finally gets around to announcing this open secret). I actually have no real issues with Android, but between HTCs firmware quality and software stagnation, I am ready for a change. I am pretty much a Microsoft-only household, anyway. Laptop with Win8, Surface Pro with Win8, Xbox, etc. so a move to WP won't be too tough. Luckily phones aren't nearly as much a lock-in as typical OS scenarios, so if after 2 years I am fed up with WP, I can go back to Android. Doubt I'd make a move to IOS, just not wired that way.

My biggest issue is that I don't want to leave Verizon, but due to stupid exclusivity deals, Nokia is driving me crazy with the whole waiting game. AT&T is not an option for me, I had them for about 3 years before my move to Verizon, and the move had to do with AT&T's absolutely horrible customer service. Never again. I have had only one CS issue with Verizon, and it was handled properly.

quickdraw86

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
My bolt is a launch bolt, I never replaced mine. I haven't had any serious issues with this phone, and have no intention of leaving VZW or getting rid of the bolt. To clarify, I may get a newer VZW device to replace my bolt for daily usage, but I'll never sell/trade/dump out my bolt, it's treated me well overall. Developers like workshed, santod, virus, imoseyon, ziggy, teambamf, slayher, and zoomdev have made this phone worth owning...