How can I DL ICS without having service?

MrHost

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Most updates are downloaded through the Web. It doesn't know what kind I'd connection you are really using. If you cab reach the Web, you should be able to Getty it with no issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

mykeeX

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone.. I'm kinda running into the same problem.. This is a old HTC Thunderbolt my brother in law gave me. Its got no service on it (no sim), but i can connect it to my home network.

What i am trying to do is install any updates for the phone,

I'm a iPhone guy and all i know is jail breaking so rooting, OTA, ICS or JB ROM i'm not sure what it means but i'm guessing its similar to jailbreaking.
What i don't understand is a couple weeks ago i was able to connect to Google play using the app and today it tells me i have no connection..
i cant update any drivers for it because it tells me there's a problem with the network. connection. when i connect it to my PC it tries to update the USB device but it cant..

I can't use HTC Sync because it won't show up as a removable device on my PC..Just seems it needs to go back to the factory settings and it would work, this was all working just a few weeks ago so i know its possible, maybe not updating the new drivers but using Google play, and it showing up on my PC is possible

I also read that i could connect the phone to my PC and run the TL-Bootstrap.exe in the hidden partition that is apparently on Verizon Mobile devices. (sigh).

If anyone can point me in the right direction, or give some advice, or tell me to throw it as far as i can.. i would greatly appreciate any help.

If any information is needed regarding the phone, i would be glad to give what i can.

TIA

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You can't get the updates strictly via wifi. You need cell service so verizon can recognize the phone and check if you need the update. In the past, people would take the update file and make it available on the internet for us to manually download and install but I guess since the phone is so old, no one is doing that anymore. All you can find are a few rooted (jailbroken) versions. I'm in the same boat as you all, gave up using my Tbolt 4-5 months ago and would like to install ICS just to play with it but I haven't been able to find the file. If you search the internet for Thunderbolt ICS RUU, you may be able to find it. Good luck!

Chilly818

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You can't get the updates strictly via wifi. You need cell service so verizon can recognize the phone and check if you need the update. In the past, people would take the update file and make it available on the internet for us to manually download and install but I guess since the phone is so old, no one is doing that anymore. All you can find are a few rooted (jailbroken) versions. I'm in the same boat as you all, gave up using my Tbolt 4-5 months ago and would like to install ICS just to play with it but I haven't been able to find the file. If you search the internet for Thunderbolt ICS RUU, you may be able to find it. Good luck!

Hey everyone.. I'm kinda running into the same problem.. This is a old HTC Thunderbolt my brother in law gave me. Its got no service on it (no sim), but i can connect it to my home network.

What i am trying to do is install any updates for the phone,

I'm a iPhone guy and all i know is jail breaking so rooting, OTA, ICS or JB ROM i'm not sure what it means but i'm guessing its similar to jailbreaking.
What i don't understand is a couple weeks ago i was able to connect to Google play using the app and today it tells me i have no connection..
i cant update any drivers for it because it tells me there's a problem with the network. connection. when i connect it to my PC it tries to update the USB device but it cant..

I can't use HTC Sync because it won't show up as a removable device on my PC..Just seems it needs to go back to the factory settings and it would work, this was all working just a few weeks ago so i know its possible, maybe not updating the new drivers but using Google play, and it showing up on my PC is possible

I also read that i could connect the phone to my PC and run the TL-Bootstrap.exe in the hidden partition that is apparently on Verizon Mobile devices. (sigh).

If anyone can point me in the right direction, or give some advice, or tell me to throw it as far as i can.. i would greatly appreciate any help.

If any information is needed regarding the phone, i would be glad to give what i can.

TIA

That is ridiculous... because I have Iphone that is not connected to VZW but I always get the new OS updates...:-$

jayven

May 5, 2011
Visit site
It may be ridiculous, but it is nonetheless correct. iPhone updates are designed only for the iPhone, but Android OS updates are designed for countless phones by many manufacturers. The Android update process if far more complex than it is for iOs. An Android phone that requests an OTA update, when it is no longer subscribing to the carrier's network, receives an error report related to the phone's [ATT, Verizon, etc.] failure to establish a network connection.