Dropped my Bolt. Now it won't read the SD card -__-

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
i dropped my phone yesterday. actually it was raining hard when i was walking from the gym to my car and when i opened the car door, i just threw it in. the phone bounced against my passenger side chair, then the passenger door, then bouned on the driver's seat before bouncing again and landing on the ground.

the phone works fine. its just not reading the SD card.

i have restarted it. phone won't read the SD card

i've pulled the battery to remove and reinsert the SD card. same thing. it won't read the SD card.

only thing I haven't done yet is hook up my phone to my laptop to see if it will read it that way. or take it out altogether and put it in the adapter thing to insert the SD into my laptop.

any ideas on what else i could do?:-\

BTW, only have until March 18th on this contract. might jump to another carrier since no more unlimited data

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Pull the sd card and try it in a card reader? They do occasionally go bad.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys thanks for the reply I actually had my coworker and I swap SD cards in our droids

My Bolt was not able to read my coworkers' SD card but he was able to read my SD card on his Galaxy Note 2

So it is my Bolt that is bad, not the SD card

Good news is my 2 year contract is over on March 18th

I will probably go to T-Mobile for the Note 2 and Unlimited Data

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you are thinking about T-Mobile, you may also want to consider the Nexus 4, which would allow you to go contractless.

But in any case, even if you go T-Mo and a Note 2, if you somehow damage the phone at least you can move your SIM to another phone and not be so worried about contract end dates. :)

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
thanks nate

i did a little research on the Nexus 4 a few months ago. i like that it is the "pure" Google/Android but the supposed lack of 4G makes me lean towards the Note 2

not only that but i took a look at the AC central Nexus 4 forum last night and there were a few threads about problems with various things on the Nexus 4. thats disappointing :( :confused: :-\

that said, i'll still play around with the Nexus 4 when i go to T-Mobile store sometime this weekend

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you're in an HSPA+ area, the major difference between that and battery-snorking LTE is how many minutes it takes to slurp down your monthly allotment.

AT&T, right or wrong, calls HSPA+ 4G. And on HSPA+, my wife's galaxy s2 runs circles around my thunderbolt on lte. When I'm on 3g, game over, man, game over.

Both HSPA+ and LTE are nearly as fast as my home internet connection anyway. LOL

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I wish i spoke that language LOL

Where I live, all of the four major carriers have good coverage. Really interested in TMobile for the unlimited data

If you're in an HSPA+ area, the major difference between that and battery-snorking LTE is how many minutes it takes to slurp down your monthly allotment.

AT&T, right or wrong, calls HSPA+ 4G. And on HSPA+, my wife's galaxy s2 runs circles around my thunderbolt on lte. When I'm on 3g, game over, man, game over.

Both HSPA+ and LTE are nearly as fast as my home internet connection anyway. LOL

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I wish i spoke that language LOL

Where I live, all of the four major carriers have good coverage. Really interested in TMobile for the unlimited data

Sorry. HSPA+ is AT&T's "3.5G" (faster than most 3G, not quite up to snuff for 4G/LTE speeds). Most of their phones indicate it as H+ or 4G.

The upshot is that unless you are streaming high-definition video, AT&T or T-Mobile's HSPA+ is plenty fast enough and the real difference between that and LTE ("real" 4G) is either found when downloading very large files or while performing artificial benchmarks for bragging rights. And in general, HSPA+ is a lot gentler on battery life than LTE. So the loss of LTE on certain phones like the Nexus 4 doesn't HAVE to be a deal-breaker.

The advantage of a Nexus is really in the software. They get the latest features as soon as they come out, so things like Google Now, Photosphere, etc will be on the Nexus lineup long before anyone else gets them.

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
:cool: thanks Nate

are we able to buy the Nexus 4 from the Google Play store & use on Verizon??

EDIT: Nevermind. just read up its only useable on T-Mobile :confused:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
:cool: thanks Nate

are we able to buy the Nexus 4 from the Google Play store & use on Verizon??

EDIT: Nevermind. just read up its only useable on T-Mobile :confused:

Verizon, Sprint, etc use a protocol called "CDMA", and each has their own non-standard implementation of that standard. If you want a phone for Verizon, you have to buy it from Verizon.

T-Mobile and AT&T use a protocol called "GSM". Other than being on different frequencies, this is the same standard most European companies use, and phones can be moved between T-Mobile, AT&T, and most other GSM-based cell companies as long as the phone you are using supports the frequencies of GSM that the company provides. And pretty much they all do.

So, no, if you want to stick with Verizon, no Nexus 4 for you. I was only talking about your possible desire to go T-Mobile (or AT&T for that matter).

The advantage of the Nexus 4 is that you can go to a no-contract plan like Straight Talk, Net10, etc, or use one of T-Mobile or AT&T's prepaid services. For the price of the phone, it's YOURS from day one, and no carrier can lock you into using their service on it. If a carrier is not to your liking, you can toss their SIM in the trash can and go get a SIM from another carrier, put it in your phone, and move on.

If you do that, it's probably a good idea to set up an account with Google Voice and publish that as your phone number. That way, you don't have to worry about whether your new carrier will port your number from your old one - Google Voice gives you a phone number that is always and forever yours, and that number will forward the calls to your current phone number(s) including simultaneously ringing your home phone if you want.

dobermans rule

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Verizon, Sprint, etc use a protocol called "CDMA", and each has their own non-standard implementation of that standard. If you want a phone for Verizon, you have to buy it from Verizon.

T-Mobile and AT&T use a protocol called "GSM". Other than being on different frequencies, this is the same standard most European companies use, and phones can be moved between T-Mobile, AT&T, and most other GSM-based cell companies as long as the phone you are using supports the frequencies of GSM that the company provides. And pretty much they all do.

So, no, if you want to stick with Verizon, no Nexus 4 for you. I was only talking about your possible desire to go T-Mobile (or AT&T for that matter).

The advantage of the Nexus 4 is that you can go to a no-contract plan like Straight Talk, Net10, etc, or use one of T-Mobile or AT&T's prepaid services. For the price of the phone, it's YOURS from day one, and no carrier can lock you into using their service on it. If a carrier is not to your liking, you can toss their SIM in the trash can and go get a SIM from another carrier, put it in your phone, and move on.

If you do that, it's probably a good idea to set up an account with Google Voice and publish that as your phone number. That way, you don't have to worry about whether your new carrier will port your number from your old one - Google Voice gives you a phone number that is always and forever yours, and that number will forward the calls to your current phone number(s) including simultaneously ringing your home phone if you want.

What if you have a global phone? Cause i have a dinc2 and it has GSM capabilities and so could I do the same thing with the networks but just not get the same "quickness" of the network...

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

thanks nate

in the end, i went to Verizon this past Saturday to upgrade for a white Note 2. they have to FedEx it to me though. should be here in a few days. only stuck with Verizon since it was the only way my wife would agree to me getting a new phone. she is content to sticking with her Thunderbolt (LOL :confused:) but may upgrade when the S4 comes out. i can't wait any longer and need a new phone now! :cool:

our local TMobile stores have been out of stock for the Note 2 as well. WTF is going on?! :-!