Death throes

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully, I'll be getting a new phone next week. But lately my Thunderdud has been really gasping for air:

Multiple random restarts - some only minutes after the last one (3 in a row the other day - boy was that fun)
Long reboot time - upwards of 10 minutes before its usable
Phone delays - can take minutes after I touch the phone option before it lets me dial (rare, but a BIG problem were there to be an emergency)
Reverting to lock screen for no real reason
Battery drain - This morning I rebooted my phone when I woke up and as I showered and the phone was at 100%. After rebooting it was at 73%. Then while checking the news online it rebooted again on its own. After this I was at around 48%. And I'd done nothing other than it rebooting.
Unresponsive widgets and screen - sometimes the widgets won't respond, and other times I have to apply pressure to the screen for it to accept the commands. Usually at the end of the day for some reason.
4G/3G switching - going between these two for no real reason and with no predictability. Very frustrating.

Anybody else run in to this stuff and have some ideas that will make its departure from this world easier for me in the meantime?

One thing it's done well is streaming and being used as a mobile hotspot (once rooted). I will definitely be doing this with my new phone (likely the G4).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully, I'll be getting a new phone next week. But lately my Thunderdud has been really gasping for air:

Multiple random restarts - some only minutes after the last one (3 in a row the other day - boy was that fun)
Long reboot time - upwards of 10 minutes before its usable
Phone delays - can take minutes after I touch the phone option before it lets me dial (rare, but a BIG problem were there to be an emergency)
Reverting to lock screen for no real reason
Battery drain - This morning I rebooted my phone when I woke up and as I showered and the phone was at 100%. After rebooting it was at 73%. Then while checking the news online it rebooted again on its own. After this I was at around 48%. And I'd done nothing other than it rebooting.
Unresponsive widgets and screen - sometimes the widgets won't respond, and other times I have to apply pressure to the screen for it to accept the commands. Usually at the end of the day for some reason.
4G/3G switching - going between these two for no real reason and with no predictability. Very frustrating.

Anybody else run in to this stuff and have some ideas that will make its departure from this world easier for me in the meantime?

One thing it's done well is streaming and being used as a mobile hotspot (once rooted). I will definitely be doing this with my new phone (likely the G4).
Sorry to hear about your issues with the Thunderbolt as you near upgrade eligibility for a new device. You can try a factory reset and see if that fixes the problem or helps alleviate it to an acceptable level. Be sure to backup your data prior to the reset. If that does not work you may consider replacing the battery as its probably seen better days.

Do a battery test to see if it's bad - place it on a flat surface and give it a spin. If it spins like a top then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't, then it should still be good.