Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By moosc
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default VZW Unlimited data question

I figured I'd ask this here considering we are the most likely folks to have unlimited 4G. Has anyone been successful in getting VZW to give you 6 GB a month to replace your unlimited without joining edge? I'd like to upgrade but don't want to utilize that program. Thanks.

Global Posts
    6,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: VZW Unlimited data question

I was curious and so I chatted about it briefly with their online chat rep and they said no, but I didn't push very hard. I really didn't want to give up unlimited data, and so I just did the upgrade method detailed here: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon. Sorry that doesn't help with the question of whether or not it's possible to get the 6GB for $30 plan or 8GB for $50 plan without being on Edge.

Funny you should bring this up. I got a new phone (HTC One) and did in fact get the 6 gig deal. I knew nothing about it, but the rep said it's out there, he checked, and I was in. Great deal since it's the same price I was paying for unlimited.

There is a back door to keeping your unlimited and getting a new phone. I found out about it last week. They said they can add a line to your account, roll your upgrade to that line then roll it back and cancel the 2nd line before it bills. I'm going to give it a try and upgrade to the LG G2 or HTC One. I can't decide.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,601 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Careful what you read. If you role that upgrade to the new line then buy a smart phone then transfer back to old line. Your still required to pay that etf. It's like $350. If your going to add a line why not do device installment plan? Adds 52$ to your bill monthly for one year. No new contract and unlimited data is kept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerplaygraphix View Post
    There is a back door to keeping your unlimited and getting a new phone. I found out about it last week. They said they can add a line to your account, roll your upgrade to that line then roll it back and cancel the 2nd line before it bills. I'm going to give it a try and upgrade to the LG G2 or HTC One. I can't decide.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
    Darth Spock likes this.

Not if you have a multi-line share plan. If you just add a line to an existing family plan, shift your upgrade and then swap then cancel the line, it's not "terminating a contract". Here's the breakdown I found on it.

Steal Another Line’s Upgrade

If you have more than one line on your Verizon account, the easiest way to keep unlimited data is to steal or transfer upgrades between lines and then use the newly purchased phones on your line with the unlimited data. Let me try to explain further, as there are details you don’t want to miss.

If you have multiple lines on an account, Verizon will let you take upgrades and transfer them between lines as long as the transfer is going from phone to phone. For example, my situation looks like this – 3 line account, two have unlimited data, with a third setup as a feature phone that runs me $9.99 per month. Since I keep my phones on a month-to-month status for the most part, I almost always have an upgrade available on one of my two unlimited data lines. So should I want to upgrade one of those two unlimited lines and keep unlimited data, all I need to do is transfer my upgrade over to that feature phone line and use the upgrade for a new smartphone.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Mrs. Un and I went into Verizon (corporate store) over the weekend to get new phones - TL;DR version - the sales rep offered us the 6GB per line w/o Edge, which we decided on versus paying full retail for two MAXX XT1080M - we got "caught" in the weekend upgrade glitch and still have unlimited data (we'll see if VZW tries to pull back from that). I got the impression the reps can offer the 6GB per line on contract for "loyal" customers. Not sure what "loyal" is, but we have been with VZW since they were Airtouch.

Even more TL;DR - it should be possible, depends on the sales rep.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 10-20-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    Current Personal Devices: Droid MAXX XT1080M; Sero 7 Pro
    Previous Personal Devices:
    Compaq HPC / Palm IIIc / Moto Bag Phone / Moto Flip Phone / StarTAC 7860 / StarTAC 7868 / v60s / GZ1 Type V / GZ1 Boulder / Thunderbolt
    Current Work Device: iPhone4
    Previous Work Devices:
    Moto "Lingo" L3000 iDEN / R750 / i355 / i580 + BB 8703 / BB 8830 / BB8330 / i576 + BB 9650 Storm