The Devices Network

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
By the time they get this out I have no doubt they will get that handoff fixed. Even still I don't have lte so it doesn't matter

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Ya well let's just be honest the handoff issue is still there I have friend who field tests devices & let's just say its a concern. The LTE will no doubt improve batt life once its only that & not having to switch back & forth. Plus ya I know phones are outdated as soon as they come out but the 2nd gen snapdragon is still not up to par with the omap's or humminbirds. Don't get me wrong I love the processor, the sense UI, & its very efficient but still lacks quality in a lot of areas us tech people enjoy. Let's not forget that the iWhatevs uses basically the same thing as a galaxy s phone as its based off of samsung specs.....they are outdated too but outperform a lot of android phones out there with some exceptions. Not to sound negative by any means just this phone shoulda already been out in Nov not jan or feb. My best friends evo is a beast but even my old mans vibrant smokes it in many ways even the lame 5mp camera has better pix, I'm just sayin in general to kinda wait it out a lil longer to see what's out there & how the network really perfoms. Shoot CTIA will be upon us in no time with another slew of handsets & who know verzon may have the kinks really streamed out. I'm a consumer & as one id hope my voice as small as it maybe can heard to not spend those hard earned bucks just yet. I'm still on the OG Droid & can upgrade @ any point being outta contract and as bad as I want to I'm grippin my extra cash till I see what's worth it. Thnx all for hearing me out.

Reactions: KenA

mastersonc

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
All the VZW LTE phones that will be coming out will have to be backwards compatible. You cant launch a product like LTE with brand new, latest and greatest technology then expect people to wait to buy it unti 4G is available in their area to buy it.

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree with that, unfair to launch something that isn't usable or not in the area & expect people to not buy it. Yes its compatible but CDMA is more difficult to handshake/handoff with than GSM as LTE is in a way a newer version of it hense the use of SIM cards. Silly yes I know, I hope to be in Vegas next week to see LTE & this device though as the new world standard will have some awesome things ahead of it with voice/data being better than its ever been. *Fingers Crossed*

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
2min handoff is a big turn off for me since I'm on my phone a lot and go all over the place. I still go in places where my phone goes to 1X instead of 3G.

Comineeyeaha

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I really think it's unfair to talk about this handoff time right now. The phone isn't even out, so how can we really know what it's going to be like? And also, even it it's true, just do like the Evo/Epic users are doing, only turn on 4G when you need that speed. 3G is plenty fast for most of what you're doing for when you're wandering around, and then when you're settled somewhere (work or home or whatever) turn on 4G and enjoy it.

It's easy to complain about a rumor from an "I know a guy..." scenario, and people jump on that way to quickly.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
2min handoff is a big turn off for me since I'm on my phone a lot and go all over the place. I still go in places where my phone goes to 1X instead of 3G.

You talking for voice or data?

Voice won't be an issue as voice will run over Verizon current 3G network, only data will go over LTE.

Since 3G will always be up, I don't think the handoff will be as bad on the phones as the datacards.

But we won't know for sure until someone get a phone in their grubby little hands and does some real world testing with it.

michael styles

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Ya all these are valid points. I wouldn't throw my name out there or speak of what I do if it wasn't true. Research it a bit & even tho wikipedia isn't always a great source its on there. But I would still like this phone issues or not just rather stay 3G till pricing comes out & is affordable.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You talking for voice or data?

Voice won't be an issue as voice will run over Verizon current 3G network, only data will go over LTE.

Since 3G will always be up, I don't think the handoff will be as bad on the phones as the datacards.

But we won't know for sure until someone get a phone in their grubby little hands and does some real world testing with it.

Good point. Forgot about that one part.

nokin

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I remember reading the Verizon's LTE handsets were going to have both 4G and 3G radio's inside but that to use 4G you were going to have to slide in an LTE "SIM card".So even if you didn't want to pay for a LTE data plan now you could always add it later and in the meantime still use your LTE-equipped device on EVDO Rev.A. Does that sound right?

This would be smart on Verizon's part to have some type of on off switch whether they do it remotely or with a sim card or whatever. They know this phone will be a greater success ( ala Sprint ) if they can get it to the people but NOT charge them extra if they don't have LTE yet. There are still alot of people out there wanting that Evo that will not pay extra for something they just don't have.

xAGx#AC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I really would love for this to not come with a mandatory LTE charge. Would really have to heavily consider getting it, as its definitely next device candidate material :p

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Yea I wonder how much I really need LTE. I predominantly use my phone for business use/email so I don't do so much video/high bandwidth stuff. Being able to use data/phone at the same time would be useful though

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I always looked at Sprints $10 charge as a way to pay for their build outs, Verizon on the other hand has the customer base and the cash to make it worthwhile. That's not to say Verizon wouldn't mind more cash, I just don't see them making LTE plans mandatory on LTE phones if you live in a non LTE market. There is plenty of time to make that progressive move one the full LTE rollout is done. Then it would be simpler to say, you will be charged based on your speeds.

In fact Verizon execs have suggested that pricing could be offered as 1) slower speeds = more monthly data allowance vs 2) faster speeds = less monthly data allowance before the $10 per Gigabit additional charge.

Its time the monthly bandwidth hogs (they know who they are) pay for play. If I can get a 10GB data plan on my phone for $80 I will be happy and enjoy streaming movies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt