Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon 4g charge for phones

Has there been any word if Verizon will be charging extra for the data service for the thunderbolt even if you are not currently in a 4g area.

From what I've found sprint charges a premium data charge of $10 on the Evo even if you do not use the 4g data at all. T mobile on the other hand doesn't charge anything extra for the 4g devices.

I have looked briefly but did not find much on that. But LTE modems are $50/month/5GB and 3g modems are still at $60/month/5GB. Nothing I found was solid proof/word of what VZW is going to charge for phone plans.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
    Nexus Lover

ROM
    AOKP JB Build 4

knowing verizon they wil probably charge for 4G.
    Nexus Lover

ROM
    AOKP JB Build 4

Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    I have looked briefly but did not find much on that. But LTE modems are $50/month/5GB and 3g modems are still at $60/month/5GB. Nothing I found was solid proof/word of what VZW is going to charge for phone plans.
    i sure hope the charge isn't $50 per month! i am hoping for a charge that is either free or $10

Highly doubt they will charge $50 a month for for USB modems, $50/5gb isn't bad at all.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.2

optout would be nice

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I can imagine there will be some sort of extra charge, probably in the same range as Sprint's $10

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks

But isn't LTE USB modems plans cheaper on VZW then Sprint? I though I read something where LTE uses less towers and cheaper to operator then WiMax. But I don't quite remember so don't quote me on that.

Global Posts
    2,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB

if Verizon really wants to step up (they are one of the priciest) they will just add 4g in the data plan keeping the same price
    I'm the ROOT man
    G Talk: Upstreammiami3o5
    Let me help you ROOT your phone

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

My deductive reasoning says that there won't be a higher price. The LTE USB plans are $10/month cheaper than the 3G one, so why would LTE on the phone be more expensive? I think this is a competitive move over Sprint.

ROM
    CleanROM

I'm trying to keep some optimism that they'll be cheaper than the current modems or have a 3G only plan.

So far they are cheaper then 3g plans and cheaper to maintain since they use less towers. But to the normal average user, high speeds=more price cost. To us, we know a bit more and know it's cheaper to operate.

ROM
    stock

as much as i wish i could say that verizons 4G plans would cost the same, i highly doubt it. Verizon is notorious for being the most expensive. But you do pay for what you get. I hope that they let us opt out at the least. If its a mandatory thing like that evo that would be incredibly stupid, especially since i live in Tucson, Arizona. No lte here for a loooong time.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Droid hungry View Post
    as much as i wish i could say that verizons 4G plans would cost the same, i highly doubt it. Verizon is notorious for being the most expensive. But you do pay for what you get. I hope that they let us opt out at the least. If its a mandatory thing like that evo that would be incredibly stupid, especially since i live in Tucson, Arizona. No lte here for a loooong time.
    I think we'll have to see what happens. They just lowered the price on broadband 3g and lte is the same price.

Nice, saves me $10/month for my MiFi, I'm still waiting for a MiFi version of 4G, hopefully out soon.
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

Quote Originally Posted by RHChan84 View Post
    Nice, saves me $10/month for my MiFi, I'm still waiting for a MiFi version of 4G, hopefully out soon.
    I'm waiting for that too. Would love to upgrade my netbook but don't want to use the usb modem.

USB Modem are just annoying to attach and have it hanging there. At least I can keep my MiFi in my bag and use it.

If they do charge extra for LTE (which I don't think they will) I probably would not upgrade to it. I don't have a significant need for faster data.

Anyone know how LTE compares to penetrating buildings/structures/etc? I'm in NYC and my service is generally excellent, but I have garbage service in my office building (other carriers have some better service). Does LTE penetrate walls better? If it does, that would be worth it.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Giving the band its running on it should be great
    Rooted for life
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

OK, just wanted to make this observation. I have been on VZW for a long time and have never been on another carrier. With all the changes that have been made with other carriers it is my opinion that VZW has been charging a "fair market price" for their service. They didn't get involved with the price wars that the other carriers are having to recover from by increasing their prices.

I know there are people that have had bad expiriences with Verizon and that will play into their decision on what carrier to go with. For me, I have always been treated fairly and my service has always worked for me. It's a big decision on what carrier to go with, but I have always felt that you get what you pay for. Verizon has positioned themselves well for the next step into the "4G" market and if the past is any indicator, the transition to LTE will go well with little changes to the service plans.

Just a disclaimer before any responses start coming in (if any) I DO NOT work for Verizon or in the cell industry and I do know what it's like to have a large cell bill. I have 4 smartphones and a netbook on my account. Just food for thought.

Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Good point Smitty_82.I have been with Verizon for most of the last 15 years and twice I foolishly tried AT&T for "cool" phones only to be let done with service issues and ultimately the phones did not live up to the hype.

I have two MiFi's that are used for our actual daily internet use each with 10GB of data. I get 4-5 bars at my house, maybe 1 with AT&T. Verizon tech support and customer support has always been great and they even allowed a second device exchange which is not the norm. That is what keeps me as a customer.
    Thanked by:
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

Raptor007, thanks for the comment. It goes back to picking your carrier first and then the phone, lol I like to point out the good cause all to often, it is the bad that has the loudest voice!

An article when sprint had its network apparently Verizon will also charge the 10 dollars for it.

Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Link to the supporting article?

Global Posts
    811 Global Posts

I haven't followed verizon 3g plans for some time , since my droid x purchase. Are there 5gb caps in place for newer devices? When netflix comes this year won't it be really easy to go over the data caps if you use your device for movies etc?
    May the droid be with you !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast