Could the Thunderbolt not be release until March due to the iPhone release?

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying to read as much stuff on all the blogs about Verizon's new offerings and couldn't figure out why they were announcing phones that won't be released for 2-4 months, especially when some like the Thunderbolt we've known about for almost half a year. Does anyone else think that these devices release date has been intentionally delayed so that if the iphone is released it will be done at the end of this week or beginning of February and that Verizon won't cannibalize it's own sales? Not trolling, just posting my thoughts, as dissapointed as I am that I have to wait months to get a new phone.

ejz28

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
who knows. i think with the TB being seen in their inventory system, seeing accessories online, as well as Verizon's website saying the TB will be the 1st 4G phone i would think it would be before March...i hope...

vetteman30

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I think if VZW was ready to relase an iPhone of their own they would have definitely announced at the CES press conference. That sort of news would have rocked the entire CES and given VZW a major propulsion into their iPhone launch.

durangojim#AC

Banned
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I think if VZW was ready to relase an iPhone of their own they would have definitely announced at the CES press conference. That sort of news would have rocked the entire CES and given VZW a major propulsion into their iPhone launch.

I hear what you're saying, but it seems like Apple usually wants to have the spotlight to themselves and not share any publicity with other manufacturers. I'm guessing we'll see an Apple special event in 2 weeks.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
agree apple likes to have their own events and not be overshadowed by all of the other new phones. I think this is a good possibility although i wish they would release some 4g phones alongside the iphone but guess they only are caring about the iphone right now

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been trying to read as much stuff on all the blogs about Verizon's new offerings and couldn't figure out why they were announcing phones that won't be released for 2-4 months, especially when some like the Thunderbolt we've known about for almost half a year. Does anyone else think that these devices release date has been intentionally delayed so that if the iphone is released it will be done at the end of this week or beginning of February and that Verizon won't cannibalize it's own sales? Not trolling, just posting my thoughts, as dissapointed as I am that I have to wait months to get a new phone.

I think this might be true but for the opposite reasons.... Why would you release a 4G device that would probably stunt the Apple sales.. better to get the Iphone out of the way if it is coming out at all..... But then again, if you an apple fan you are getting an Iphone regardless so one most likely wont affect the other if you havnt switched to Android already anyway

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget Verizon has no say in when the ipwn is announced that is Jobs decision and his alone. He will decide when and IF they can do anything. Since he is so draconian, he will fit right in. Android users won't be defecting for the iPhone, but a lot of AT&T users on 3G models will. Hell they are selling the 3G for $50 just to a)blow out inventory, b) get more sales while they can and c) bending over and saying "Thank you sir, may I have another" (Animal House for the win).

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The Tbolt was more likely delayed because of the 4G rollout. It was originally a 3G phone, and Verizon has yet to come up with mobile phone 4G pricing. That's more likely the delay, not the iphone.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Apple would never allow Verizon to release the Iphone at CES. They have a tradition of not going to CES. And now that they are likely announcing the Iphone on tuesday. It wouldn't suprise me if Apple made some sort of agreement with Verizon to hold off on releasing any phones especially 4G ones that may compete with a 3G CDMA version of an Iphone.

Its the reason I hate Apple and am starting to feel the same way about Verizon. They will not give any idea of release dates on phones because that would hurt sales of existing phones. Both companies are very controlling and you can get away with that kind of stuff when you have a product that monopolizes whatever market it is the leader in. People will put up with less service (IE: 2 week return policy, no more new every 2), if your product is in demand.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i was ready for the t-bolt before holidays. ready since nov 22 to ditch iphone 3g an att. my wife is ready to get ditch her pos dumb phone. ces was my reason to hold of. yeah we saw phones, but all we got was q1. an with the atrix an inspire / desire hd. i might have to stay with att finally gettin android.

if this event doesnt give a date for the t bolt. verizon let me down. i highly doubt iphone will be this event. or at all. with bgr, phonedog, wsj all making these rumors an fueling the fire....people are buying into with out hard evidence. its just a word of mouth. but could be a surpise. i dont care tho. i just want my android phone. help me out here verizon

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
^ I really doubt apple will be releasing a 4G iphone until 2012 anyway. Keep in mind that the first iphone didn't even have 3G capability even though the technology existed.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Verizon's announcement that the return policy will be only 14 days now makes a lot more sense

Think about it from a business perspective: Verizon will launch a 3G iPhone on Feb 3 and will sell millions of em. But then all the fancy new 4G LTE phones will drop 3-4 weeks later, but the iPhone users will be locked in with their "old" gear since they will be outside the return period. If they want the new hotness (the 4G-capable phones) they will need to pay full retail or open new contracts, which many will do.

Same thing when the 4G phones launch; phones like the Bionic will drop beginning of summer and people will scoop them up like crazy, but then a shiny new 4G iPhone will drop in late June right after that and all THOSE people people won't be able to return their Bionics and Samsungs since they will be outside the return period

...and around and around we go. This is Verizon's way of making millions and millions more. Annoying as hell from a consumer's standpoint, but sheer brilliance from a business standpoint

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Verizon's announcement that the return policy will be only 14 days now makes a lot more sense

Think about it from a business perspective: Verizon will launch a 3G iPhone on Feb 3 and will sell millions of em. But then all the fancy new 4G LTE phones will drop 3-4 weeks later, but the iPhone users will be locked in with their "old" gear since they will be outside the return period. If they want the new hotness (the 4G-capable phones) they will need to pay full retail or open new contracts, which many will do.

Same thing when the 4G phones launch; phones like the Bionic will drop beginning of summer and people will scoop them up like crazy, but then a shiny new 4G iPhone will drop in late June right after that and all THOSE people people won't be able to return their Bionics and Samsungs since they will be outside the return period

...and around and around we go. This is Verizon's way of making millions and millions more. Annoying as hell from a consumer's standpoint, but sheer brilliance from a business standpoint
Yep, and in the end, you can't hate the company for making a smart business decision.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Yep, and in the end, you can't hate the company for making a smart business decision.

Exactly. If you don't like it, then don't buy their product. As a consumer you're always in control. But if you want their products/services, then you play by their rules

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
How would Verizon make tons of money on phones? They make money off of subscribers.

Also, your hypothesis about the iPhone launching with 3G, then LTE 4 weeks later makes little to no sense. Apple would not release two products in quick succession such as that. They will wait until June to release the LTE version.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
How would Verizon make tons of money on phones? They make money off of subscribers.

Also, your hypothesis about the iPhone launching with 3G, then LTE 4 weeks later makes little to no sense. Apple would not release two products in quick succession such as that. They will wait until June to release the LTE version.

So Verizon gets no money from the sale of a handset? Really?? Study their financial statements.

Go back and accurately read what I said earlier. Really, go back and look. Here's what I said: Apple will drop a new phone now, then the LTE Androids will drop 3-4 weeks later, then the Verizon iPhone will hit after them in - allow me to exactly quote myself - "late June". Read what I actually said more carefully next time

Furthermore, as for your claim that Apple would not release models so quickly... er, they do it all the time. It's not MY hypothesis, it's actually called the "Apple Model" and is taught in business schools around the country. I know, cuz that's where I learned about it and conducted case studies on it. They have a loyal fan base that buys any new product they release, and they exploit that fact to create upwards of 60% profit margins. How else do you think they have the second largest market cap value on Wall St.?? From their 6% market share on computers?? Please...

EDIT: As soon as I published this comment Engadget themselves warned people against buying this new Verizon iPhone since Apple will be dropping ANOTHER newer one later this summer, thereby agreeing perfectly with what I said:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/verizon-iphone-everything-you-need-to-know/

Last edited:

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Im sure Verizon isn't just trying to attract more customers. After all, in the business world. It makes more financial sense to please existing customers rather than putting all your stock in newcomers.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I really don't think we will see a lte iPhone this summer more like a global iPhone 5 with slightly upgraded specs and the majority of lte phones will most likely be released in spring just to get them out their and give that iPhone 5 some summer love
Edit
And I would guess that this will come pre to early Feb just to get those people who are impatient for lte a device

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I really don't think we will see a lte iPhone this summer more like a global iPhone 5 with slightly upgraded specs and the majority of lte phones will most likely be released in spring just to get them out their and give that iPhone 5 some summer love
Edit
And I would guess that this will come pre to early Feb just to get those people who are impatient for lte a device

I can almost guarantee there will be an LTE iPhone for Verizon in the summer, and an HSPA+ iPhone for AT&T in the summer. That would be the ONLY reason they would be releasing a CDMA iPhone in the middle of the iPhone 4's product cycle.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Not saying your wrong because I don't know but given apples previous steps I give them a year before they launch a 4g iPhone if only for battery management. Especially hearing blackmanx talking about 4 hour battery life using an lte device I think apple will take their time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech