Upcoming Thunderbolt or Possible Verizon Iphone
I don't mean to add to the speculation, or start another iphone vs. android argument, but want to get an opinion on my options.
I have had an upgrade available for a while now, and after playing with some of my friends phones I have decided that i want an android phone, preferably HTC, because i really like sense.
However, just like for most of us, CES was a big disappointment and almost all hope of the thunderbolt being released in January disappeared, along with rumors that Verizon is going to announce the iphone on Tuesday the 11th. Even if they announce Tuesday, its looking to be at least a month before the release, but would cut down on the wait time until March.
Ultimately it is up to personal preference between android and iOS, but i really don't want to wait. Does anyone have an idea what the event Tuesday is going to be about (like the fact that Verizon is in charge and not Apple)? I know I'm going to be happy with the iphone if it does come, but I'm really sold on the thunderbolt and am leaning towards March if need be.
- 01-09-2011, 04:56 PM #2
- 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM #3
- 13 Posts
Just keep waiting it out. You will be happier in the long run. I currently have an iPhone 3G. My contract has been up since July and I've been waiting for the next best thing to come along (mainly the tbolt). In the grand scheme of things another month or two is a very small amount of time compared to the 2 year contract you will be in with whatever phone you choose.
- 01-09-2011, 05:04 PM #4
- 01-09-2011, 05:49 PM #6
- 01-09-2011, 07:14 PM #7
It just seemed strange to me that Verizon is in charge instead of apple, but then again it isn't an apple keynote event. As much as i don't want to admit it, it does really look like the iphone is coming to verizon.
We'll find out on tuesday
Last edited by biggie_56; 01-09-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: wrong date
- 01-09-2011, 08:28 PM #9
Here is my plan of attack.
Wait for Tuesday announcement to see Verizon iPhone specs. If it is not an LTE version I go to the VZW store and buy a Droid X on the current upgrade I have and keep a 1 year upgrade for January 2012 before Verizon pushes for 20 months effective Sunday 1/16. Also gives me the 30 day return to get an iPhone if I change my mind.
- 01-09-2011, 09:29 PM #10
- 01-09-2011, 09:30 PM #11
- 01-09-2011, 10:19 PM #12
- 01-09-2011, 11:42 PM #13
- 386 Posts
- Stock (for now)
It will likely just be the iphone 4, with no LTE capability (Jobs usually doesn't adopt new technology that may affect the performance or battery life of the iphone - the original iphone didn't even have 3G even though the technology existed). If you want LTE, wait for the Thunderbolt. If you want the freedom of Android and the great HTC Sense UI, wait for the Thunderbolt.
And keep in mind that you will likely be locked in to whatever device you get for 2 years. Starting January 16, Verizon is removing its annual upgrade policy and shortening the return period to 14 days (some speculate that this is due to the iphone release). Also, from what I understand, people who already purchased devices will not be grandfathered to the old policy, they'll have something like 6 weeks to use a "new every 2" type thing before switching to the new policy.
So be very careful about the phone you choose. You're stuck with it for 20 months unless you pay retail price for a new one.
- 01-10-2011, 01:16 AM #14
- 10 Posts
As far as I'm aware Verizon will not be changing existing contracts. So as long as you buy the phone before the 16th you should still have NE2 and the 30 day return policy. Also they are just as much bound by the contract as you are when you sign it. They can't change contracts after they are signed just because they feel like it.*
*I'm not a lawyer though so don't quote me on this
- 01-10-2011, 08:51 AM #15
- 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM #16
Thunderbolt over the iPhone 4G,especially a first-gen Verizon iPhone that's CDMA-only.One speculation is that Verizon will release a CDMA-only iPhone in Feb. Then in the fall of 2011 VZW/Apple will release an LTE version. No way I'd want to be shut out of LTE until 2013.
- 01-10-2011, 10:50 AM #17
- 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM #18
- 01-10-2011, 04:06 PM #19
- 236 Posts
- GingerBread GSB 1.7
A new high end phone generally retails for about $599. Verizon regularly offers the latest new high end phones for $199 w/ a 2 year contract. However, you can pay just an additional $70, and only have a 1 year contract.
$199 = 66% discount. Locked in for 2 years (actually 20 months)
$269 = 55% discount. Locked in for 1 year (actually 10 months)
If you purchase an exciting new high end phone shortly after it comes out, you can easily sell it for at least the $269 you paid for it 10 months ago, if not more. So essentially $70 more up front gives you a ton more flexibility, and not feeling like you're stuck with a phone for too long.
I was talking to a friend, and even with all the speculation that it will be released soon, he pointed out what if a cdma version is made available when the iphone 5 launches. That would definitely mean thunderbolt for me, but i don't want to pay the possible lte charge.
- 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM #21
- 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM #22
- 01-10-2011, 08:51 PM #23
- 01-10-2011, 09:57 PM #24
- 01-11-2011, 02:51 AM #25