thunderbolt release before iPhone?

Armyntt

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
You are not alone my friend. That's part of the big debate and hard decisions people are going through, including myself. With the expected release date of the TBolt being March and the Bionic soon to follow (some have speculated mid-April), then you'll have basically a month separation between devices where one strictly hardware-wise is much better than the other. So why would one wait until March to get the TBolt, when you could wait a month longer to get a better spec'd device in the Bionic? Well, when you start also considering Sense vs. Blur, locked bootloader vs. openness, promptness of updates, etc., that's when things get tilted back towards the "lower spec'd" device. Decisions, decisions ... Tough shoes to be in. But, you've got company.

Not just that but the longer I wait the less i get my money's worth. Reason being Im only goin to have the phone till Oct at the absolute latest. (deploying to Afghanistan). I was hoping from when the TB was still the INC HD or the MECHA a January release.

roxy surf

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
There would be no way they would release the TB before selling the year old iphone...anyone who knew any better would go for the TB...Verizon and Apple are too smart for that...anyway, I hope the release of the Thunderbolt isn't too much longer, my contract was up the beginning of January and I'm dealing with a BB Tour with a broken trackball :(

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Even Verizon knows those who want an iPhone are not the same users who want Android. By and large they are two different camps, sheep who follow blindly and the tech savy enthusiast crowd with friends/family who got their knowledge about Android from them and know its cool shiz.

NickF227

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Even Verizon knows those who want an iPhone are not the same users who want Android. By and large they are two different camps, sheep who follow blindly and the tech savy enthusiast crowd with friends/family who got their knowledge about Android from them and know its cool shiz.

True, but those people that were turned on to Android by people like me, now want the iPhone now that its coming to VZW, and even some of the original adopters want it. D:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Careful there, bud, there are just as many tech savvy people that want iPhones as there are that just want it because its the cool thing to have.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
You are not alone my friend. That's part of the big debate and hard decisions people are going through, including myself. With the expected release date of the TBolt being March and the Bionic soon to follow (some have speculated mid-April), then you'll have basically a month separation between devices where one strictly hardware-wise is much better than the other. So why would one wait until March to get the TBolt, when you could wait a month longer to get a better spec'd device in the Bionic? Well, when you start also considering Sense vs. Blur, locked bootloader vs. openness, promptness of updates, etc., that's when things get tilted back towards the "lower spec'd" device. Decisions, decisions ... Tough shoes to be in. But, you've got company.

Well said sir. Hence the reason why I'm going with the Bolt.

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

My next phone will be an iPhone 5 for one reason. Apple provides updates for 2-3 years whereas the Android manufacturers are providing updates for 6-9 months and locking the bootloader so you can't upgrade it yourself. Withholding os upgrades from perfectly capable hardware with the sole intention of selling new hardware is a turnoff for me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
My next phone will be an iPhone 5 for one reason. Apple provides updates for 2-3 years whereas the Android manufacturers are providing updates for 6-9 months and locking the bootloader so you can't upgrade it yourself. Withholding os upgrades from perfectly capable hardware with the sole intention of selling new hardware is a turnoff for me.

So dont buy moto, the greatest thing Android has over apple is we have choices over the phone we want running the software we want. And we can upgrade OS's every 6-9 months as you stated, if we so choose. Just look on XDA they were working on Gingerbread for the Eris as soon as it came out, it wont even be on the N1 before Kaos has a stable build ready to flash.

angel35

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I read that the iphone at Verizon will be out in feb. I think there is two dates in Feb.I cant remember why????? Im sorry!!!

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I read that the iphone at Verizon will be out in feb. I think there is two dates in Feb.I cant remember why????? Im sorry!!!

VZW iPhone pre-orders start being taken on Feb.3 and in-store sales start Feb.10. But Verizon still has not explained pricing and procedures for LTE and iPhone data. Maybe the Thunderbolt gets released the end of Jan.and LTE becomes available for it a month or so later when VZW starts offering the new 4G data "SIM cards" on handsets?

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
From everything I have heard and read, I am not expecting the TBolt until the first or second week of March. If St Patty's rolls around and I haven't heard anything solid, I will then and only then start to panic...

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So dont buy moto, the greatest thing Android has over apple is we have choices over the phone we want running the software we want. And we can upgrade OS's every 6-9 months as you stated, if we so choose. Just look on XDA they were working on Gingerbread for the Eris as soon as it came out, it wont even be on the N1 before Kaos has a stable build ready to flash.

HTC is locking phones now (G2) as well as moto and I am sure Samsung will follow suit. The days where you can flash roms are coming to an end. Phones like the DX and G2 do not have custom roms, they have skinned stock roms. If moto doesn't release a rom for the DX then not custom roms for that version of android will exist. Ever.

Armyntt

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Newbie here for the android OS. like i said above ive owned 2 Iphones and im leavin for the TB or Bionic. If HTC/MOTO lock their phones root down is their an app or way to tether a android system without payin the ridiculous fees to the carrier. On my Iphones ive been using MYWI through jailbreak for when the army would send me somewhere.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
The G2 is not locked down, and even if it was, the TBolt is based on the DesireHD, which if you looked around would find that those DesireHD owners who wish to be are rooted, have S-off, and have a whole list of ROM's to flash. So are G2 owners, for that matter. I know what you are talking about, though... when the G2 first came out you could root it, but when you re-booted, it disappeared. Guess what? Check this out

Edit:
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Moto "E-Fuse" was a function of and tied to the OMAP processor. Rumor has it that they switched to NVidia Tegra 2 or something, so one has to wonder if the bootloader will be locked at all, or if they will just try to lock down the memory. Any HTC hacker knows that it doesn't take long to drill through that wall...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08