Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 0.6.2

Default Gorilla Glass?

Has anyone heard/seen if the ThunderBolt will have Gorilla Glass? If it doesn't, that could be the deal breaker for me.

ROM
    AOKP + Franco's

I haven't really heard of anyone promoting the use of Gorilla Glass lately, is that something the manufacturers/carriers think we don't care about anymore? Or is it just a given now?

Does any of the new phones like the TB,Bionic and SAMSUNG have the GG? I didnt think it was a given.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 0.6.2

They really haven't ever promoted it very much which is very surprising to me. That is 1 of the first things I would want to know about it. I have the original Moto Droid and didn't know til 6 months later that it had it. I work for a Verizon agent and had never even heard of it until the Fascinate came out.

I would guess the Bionic will have it because every Motorola Android Verizon phone has had it. I would also guess that the Samsung will have it too because the newer Samsungs all have it. But the DInc doesn't have it and there are no HTC phones at all listed on the Gorilla Glass website.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Evo didn't have it....it was a deal breaker for me, to much plastic for such a high-end device.
    Nexus Lover

Global Posts
    1,268 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB Build 4

no HTC phones have gorilla glass so I doubt the tbolt will.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Add me on Google+

Link
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,731 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Hmm doesn't matter to me my d2 has a scratched screen so yes it may help against the big things but as long as the screen is glass not plastic like the pre you should be good
    Loving this Oneplus one!!
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bennysangel View Post
    Evo didn't have it....it was a deal breaker for me, to much plastic for such a high-end device.
    Huh? The Evo's screen is still glass, its just not Gorilla Glass.

i no all moto phones an the galaxy s line does use it. while im unsure if htc does. you would think they would being a top maker. but here is something i found. i dont no if this will help an of course its not the same phone. im very carefull with my phone tho accidents do happen. but i guess thats why u get insurance/protection

Incredible using Gorilla Glass? HTC says so... - Android Forums
    FD2
    Shadow Lurker

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

No gorilla glass.
    I'm not a star, somebody lied

I hope HTC surprises us and has Gorilla Glass on the TB
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me

Global Posts
    5,195 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Gorilla glass is not the end all be all of protection. It will scratch, get damaged and not just from abuse. I have a co-worker who users theirs and just from regular use its got some damage at the top near the ear piece. I put a screen protector on it for her so she doesn't get any further damage now.

The Thunderbolt is a replica of the Evolution(Evo), so they might have the Same glass screen - just not gorilla glass. (Btw) what the heck is a gorilla glass anyways?

ROM
    Das Bamf 1.3, 1.2ghz

Quote Originally Posted by rushrl View Post
    The Thunderbolt is a replica of the Evolution(Evo), so they might have the Same glass screen - just not gorilla glass. (Btw) what the heck is a gorilla glass anyways?
    Seriously.. You come into this thread and declare that the TB is a "replica" of the Evo?? IT'S NOT! Save that loosing argument for this thread:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...other-evo.html

Now back on topic: It would be sweet if HTC snuck in gorilla glass but I don't really see that happening :/

If you go to gorillas website it lists all of the cell phones which currently use it and as others have stated, HTC has never used it.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 0.6.2

Quote Originally Posted by vdefender View Post
    If you go to gorillas website it lists all of the cell phones which currently use it and as others have stated, HTC has never used it.
    The website isn't always right/up to date though. The DX and D2 took a few months after release to be added to the site.

ROM
    AOKP + Franco's

Quote Originally Posted by jakeroberts42 View Post
    The website isn't always right/up to date though. The DX and D2 took a few months after release to be added to the site.
    "Corning® Gorilla® Glass is currently featured on hundreds of product models, but due to customer agreements, we can only include a sampling here. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don’t see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more."

ROM
    Das Bamf 1.3, 1.2ghz

Quote Originally Posted by Sploinkin View Post
    "Corning® Gorilla® Glass is currently featured on hundreds of product models, but due to customer agreements, we can only include a sampling here. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don’t see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more."
    Very true. So it is technically possible that HTC does use gorilla glass, but they have decided not to tell anyone... By why wouldn't they want to? :/
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    ROM
    Bugless Beast 0.6.2

Quote Originally Posted by Sploinkin View Post
    Shows how much I pay attention!

What's the benefit of Gorilla Glass? I'm guessing it's stronger and maybe more scratch resistant than regular glass? I have a Droid1 and have always used a screen protector... so I couldn't tell you if I have Gorilla glass or regular glass. Are we assuming that if the TBolt does not have Gorilla Glass that it will scratch or crack easy?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,734 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

gorilla glass is a beast. I haven't run a plastic cover in over a year.....gorilla glass does......

I had some screen protectors on my *phone 3G but they were like 25 bucks a piece that i bought at BBuy. Do the cheap protectors work as good as the expensive ones? What screen protectors do you guys use? I dont like most phone cases either because they make the phones slim profile huge.

Global Posts
    1,328 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10 KANG

Quote Originally Posted by reb422 View Post
    What's the benefit of Gorilla Glass? I'm guessing it's stronger and maybe more scratch resistant than regular glass? I have a Droid1 and have always used a screen protector... so I couldn't tell you if I have Gorilla glass or regular glass. Are we assuming that if the TBolt does not have Gorilla Glass that it will scratch or crack easy?
    Basically it can take a lot of scratch abuse and not show any markings which is nice especially if you carry your phone in your pocket, backpack, etc. where a lot of items can bump/scratch the screen easily. Also, it has a lot of flex in the screen so that it can take heavy pressure and not crack.

All glass will get damaged by a big fall anyway, but GG is made to handle the rigors of being abused a lot in normal use (not abnormal like falling or dropping).

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

I have been wondering the same thing and the only thing I can come up with is no previous HTC device has it. And its not listed in the TBolts specs of features so my money is on no... I would like it to have one but don't have it on my storm so I am not losing anything.

Global Posts
    5,195 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

While I agree Gorilla Glass can hold up to normal stuff, I have seen iPhone 4 displays with damage to them from normal wear and tear, it just depends on how normal you use really is.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

what kind of glass does the incredible have? Because this screen isn't that bad.
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast