Blackberry Storm to Thunderbolt... who else?

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting patiently for news on the Bolt too but I just want to step in and say how pleased I've been with my Curve 8330 over the almost 3 years I've had it. With the exception of having to change out it's trackball(which was so easy to do I did it during a commercial break while watching The Big Bang Theory) my trusty Curve has been rock-solid. Does the web browser pale in comparison to almost every newer smartphone?Yes, but for 2007 technology what do you expect.With the exceptions of the newest OS 6 BBs my 8330 performs as good or better as a phone and media device than anything RIM's put out. Alas for my Curve,Time Marches On.............and it will be Retired With Honors. O:)

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
My BB Tour is about to be relegated to a purely business device. I'll be splitting off my personal life to the ThunderBolt as soon as it drops. While I prefer the specs of the Bionic, the ThunderBolt was a close second and being able to get it four months sooner bumps it right up to number one with me.

JeromeTurner5

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
bought the storm 1 first week it came out. It hasn't treated me as bad as some others but this upgrade is killing me. Very much want an Android and like Sense better than motoblur. Want a 4.3 screen. Hopefully LTE won't cost to much. If LTE costs is too much, I could fall back to a Droid X or switch to sprint and trial the EVO for a month.

optimum5

Jan 27, 2011
albert5x5.com
Add me to the list of those going from the Storm (9530) to the Thunderbolt. For the past two years the Storm was just a constant reminder that I wished I got a great feature rich smart touch screen phone from Verizon. Had to pass by the Droids because of my contract, but now it looks like HTC is going to come to the rescue. Man, I can't wait!

rewd

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Another Storm 9530 day 1 user here. I actually left Verizon (after being a loyal and VERY happy customer for 5 years) because of that touchscreen turd. I called them up multiple times and begged and pleaded for some kind of early upgrade in July of '09 just so I could get something else besides that POS. In the end, Verizon wouldn't budge so I went to AT&T in desperation.

Happily used a BB 9000 and now a 9700 ever since. VERY happy with both of those devices but I sorely miss the VZW data network and want the latest and greatest multimedia phone. So, HTC is picking up another new customer here because all of RIM's current (and upcoming) products are out dated, boring and they don't appear to be making ANY effort to correct this problem.

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I am still on my original Storm 1 and I think I deserve a prize from BB. I have had a new every two upgrade waiting on me since August. I will be all over the Thunderbolt like.........., well you know what I mean. BB has really blown it and they are dropping long term BB customer like me and will probably never get them back.

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I went from blackberry storm to the droid incredible. I literally went through 10 storms every storm I had either the screen would go black or the camera would stop working then when I updated the software it bricked it. Worst phone I have ever owned, But the Incredible is the BEST phone i've ever owned. Rooted with gingerbread and 1750mAH battery

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
it's great seeing so many wanting to chuck their storm for some thunder!

i'm happy that i'm not some fanboy* sticking to bb 100% of the time. The device is ok, it got me thru almost 24 months also had 2 jvm errors (517 & 528) on my first and existing storm1 - thanks to helpful forum members i was able to reload the OS, and of course I always have my data backed up.

BUT, i just wanted to also say that i'm happy im not sticking around waiting for possible storm3! take a look at these specs for Q3! if Rim is going forward, they are taking fetus steps (not even baby steps). Q3 you'd expect an LTE device from them, a front facing camera, and hopefully qnx OS.. take a look, it's called the Monaco:

Exclusive: CDMA BlackBerry Roadmap 2011 - Montana, Monaco, Sedona, Malibu, BlackBerry 6.1 Evolution and more! | CrackBerry.com

*what i mean is that some ppl can really be blind defending something like they invented it - come on, competition is good!

Last edited:

Turbo Paul

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I gotta say, I must be the only one out there, but I truly love my Storm 9530. I have had it for 21 months now, and I have only had one, no replacements ever needed. But my NE2 was up on the 13th, and since then I have needed more QuickPulls, and my battery has needed more charging (was 48 hours until the 13th). I think the phone knows it's days are numbered. I have wanted a Storm 3, but it looks like the replacement is not due until July/August, or later, and Sure-Press is sadly missing, and the specs are nothing special. I like the idea of 4G, but then VZW seems to be saying that NJ will not get it this year. But I really think the Thunderbolt looks like a fine replacement at this point.

Waiting.......

rewd

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I went from blackberry storm to the droid incredible. I literally went through 10 storms every storm I had either the screen would go black or the camera would stop working then when I updated the software it bricked it. Worst phone I have ever owned, But the Incredible is the BEST phone i've ever owned. Rooted with gingerbread and 1750mAH battery

The Incredible is what made me notice Android. Then I heard about the upcoming Tbolt. Now I must have the Tbolt. :p

rbfromma

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I am also coming from a BB, albeit a Curve 8330....and I have been sitting on my upgrade since last March! It has killed me to wait this long, but for various reasons I need to be on Verizon and I also need to have Lotus Notes access for work. The BB has treated me well but with so many more feature rich devices out there I knew that I did not want another one. For the longest time I was was waiting for the *phone on Verizon, but as I researched and lingered on sites like AC I realized I wanted an Android based phone. I can now use Notes Traveler on Android (officially through work anyway) so that portion is all set. A few months back I was set to go with the DInc but wanted to see what CES had to show us....now it is the Thunderbolt for me. I am sick of waiting! Out with the TBolt already!!

Shygar

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm a current Storm 2 owner planning on upgrading to the Thunderbolt, as long as it's not too expensive for me. I owned a Storm 1 when it first came out, then upgraded to a Storm 2 and gave the Storm 1 to my girlfriend. I have taken this phone everywhere and love certain things about it (suretype, enterprise integration, facebook integration), but it feels like a device that RIM and Verizon stopped supporting awhile ago.

Ognelodhgm

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Storm 1 owner. Bought the phone about 3 months after it came out and its been a headache ever since. I even gave the phone the benefit of a doubt and said Oh, nothing is wrong with it. A new software update is coming out. It will fix everything.......Yea Right. At first i was waiting for a new Storm to come out. LOL gave up on that. Not trying to get an out dated phone. Tired of the constant battery pulls and downloading of Hybrid software that all have the same damn problem. Battery drain,... Memory-leaks,...Glitching from conflicting files. Been waiting for a phone just like the thunderbolt and its specs are fine with me. **** you RIM im never buying one of your locked down phones ever again.

tripburn27

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Bye Bye Storm... Hello Thunderbolt!

I've had the Storm 1 for about 2 years now and it's been relatively good to me. I replaced the battery about four months ago because it stopped holding a charge, but that's about it. BlackBerry's definitely slacking on the new phone technology, so I'm definitely switching teams soon...

The Thunderbolt is definitely my top choice. I like the Samsung Fascinate but at this point, I may as well wait on the 4G technology since it's so close to being released.

bdragon

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Owned storm 1 and 2. I just bought a DInc off ebay cause I couldn't deal with the constant lag and battery pulls, not to mention the 9 mins reboot time. My contract has been up since June. Ever since I saw a pic of the TBolt, I knew I would get it, I was hoping it would've been my first android device. The DInc is great phone, I just want sosomething new.

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I gotta say, I must be the only one out there, but I truly love my Storm 9530. I have had it for 21 months now, and I have only had one, no replacements ever needed. But my NE2 was up on the 13th, and since then I have needed more QuickPulls, and my battery has needed more charging (was 48 hours until the 13th). I think the phone knows it's days are numbered. I have wanted a Storm 3, but it looks like the replacement is not due until July/August, or later, and Sure-Press is sadly missing, and the specs are nothing special. I like the idea of 4G, but then VZW seems to be saying that NJ will not get it this year. But I really think the Thunderbolt looks like a fine replacement at this point.

Waiting.......

We are seeing 2 to 3 bars LTE service in Central jersey. Your looking at 5-8 Mbps downloads. Don't worry about Jersey. VZW's HQ is here. We covered.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Storm1 to Thunderbolt or Bionic - not sure which yet. Leaning towards the Thunderbolt because the phone is wider and I don't like the narrower/longer look of the other droids. The Thunderbolt appears to be shaped more like my Storm and I like that.

mpf

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Was going to start a new thread, but found this one instead which is close enough....

I have had my BB Storm (9530) for over two years now. It's been the best and worst phone all rolled up into one (best in that it was my first smart phone -- worst in that it's rebooted twice when I'm on the phone with my supervisor from work.)

I realize battery may be an issue -- at least at first -- but I learned from the Storm experience that battery life tends to improve with software updates.

The things I'm hoping the Thunderbolt has over the Storm is longer-term support beyond a few months (Android and HTC seem to be doing a good job here, and if not, there's always mods like Cyanogen); better memory (my Storm is always asking me to remove applications); and a better overall experience. With the Storm 1 it seemed that a few months after getting it, when the Storm 2 came out, the Storm 1 was abandoned to antiquity.

With all the (debateable) delays and rumors on the Thunderbolt, I'm starting to worry that the Thunderbolt may potentially be another Storm. I want to learn from my experience with the Storm, but I'm afraid that I'm missing the take-away from that experience.

Everything I've read and researched tells me the Thunderbolt is the next phone for me (unless the Droid Incredible 2 gets announced/comes out first since I'm not in an LTE zone and wont be for at least another year).

Can anyone else relate here? Am I the only one who is trying to determine if history is repeating itself? Trying to have a good discussion on this phone's real qualities (and trying to stay away from the release date quagmire.)

Thanks.

Mapex

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm technically in the Storm camp (my upgrade was available since 2/22) but I couldn't stand how terrible the device was and turned on a second line just to get the DROID (my father wanted to use a smartphone for email, too, he took the Storm off my hands and used his new line).

I do not regret this decision whatsoever, although hopefully we can reduce our monthly bill by $10 once my father gets a Merge and gets rid of the voice-only line.

sscinokc

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I was one of the few fortunate ones that has had the same Storm for two years. Never gave me any problems, except for the occasional memory leaks and resetting the device memory (thank goodness for MeterBerry)

I'm just tired of old technology, and disappointed with RIM with their lack of forward thinking and new technology. Plus...seems like a lot more apps on every other device out there. Can't wait to jump on board with a TB...unless this drags on, in which case I'll look for another Droid device.