What is the deal on the 4g data plan?

Generalg

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm even willing to go with a ipoop4 if the 4g data is going to be out of control..... sad but true. Having had the Droid Eris, Moto Droid, Droid X, Fascinate and now back to a blackberry curve since I sold my Fascinate a week ago, it's getting to be very hard to wait for the Tbolt! Oh how I can't stand Blackberry's!

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
truth is we are all waiting to see this play out. from the chat reps an in store reps say pricing wont change. i have a feeling it wont change till more phones arrive. so early adopters can lock it in.

i hope. we have 2 weeks before we know something lol

danthman

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It all depends what the phrase "for now" means. There are lots of chat transcripts and reports from Verizon store reps saying that the 4G unlimited plans will remain $30 for now, but there are other media reports suggesting it will be as high as $50 for (I think) 5Gb.

The 4G pricing is definitely the deciding factor for me. I think I'm pretty sold on the TBolt if the data plan is $30.

racinbill

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It all depends what the phrase "for now" means. There are lots of chat transcripts and reports from Verizon store reps saying that the 4G unlimited plans will remain $30 for now, but there are other media reports suggesting it will be as high as $50 for (I think) 5Gb.

The 4G pricing is definitely the deciding factor for me. I think I'm pretty sold on the TBolt if the data plan is $30.

+1 If they keep it the same, even for now, I am ok with $30. Make it more and I will go get a 3G smartphone. I am moving over to VZW so I can choose either path, and a lot will be based on the monthly bill.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm even willing to go with a ipoop4 if the 4g data is going to be out of control..... sad but true. Having had the Droid Eris, Moto Droid, Droid X, Fascinate and now back to a blackberry curve since I sold my Fascinate a week ago, it's getting to be very hard to wait for the Tbolt! Oh how I can't stand Blackberry's!
Thats blastphemy !! how dare you Android to BB shame;)

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
that 50 for 5gig is the usb modem prices. an those are the same prices as 3g cards. so they arent charging extra for 4g usb cars...good sign pricing may not change

bfarr9311

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I would be more inclined to think that Verizon would not charge extra for its 4G smartphones per month until the service becomes nationwide. This would be a major selling point not only within Verizon phones but between wireless companies companies. I too have also heard from numerous sales reps that the price of unlimited data will not change even with a 4G phone.

rewd

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I really don't see 4G services costing more ever. Lets be real, $50 for 5 gigs? Most people don't pay that much for unlimited internet access in their homes, let alone on their cell phone.

I simply feel that if Verizon tries to gouge their customers on wireless internet they will see the smartphone market become significantly less popular then it is now. I think $30 is the right price-point for this convenience for most people, but start going higher then that.....

rigorx

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I really don't see 4G services costing more ever. Lets be real, $50 for 5 gigs? Most people don't pay that much for unlimited internet access in their homes, let alone on their cell phone.

I simply feel that if Verizon tries to gouge their customers on wireless internet they will see the smartphone market become significantly less popular then it is now. I think $30 is the right price-point for this convenience for most people, but start going higher then that.....

My thoughts exactly. I already pay $59 for high speed internet in my home. I can't be paying another $40+ dollars for high speed internet on both my & and my wife's phone. $30 is pretty much my limit for mobile internet, when there is high speed wi-fi already most places I'm ever at.

If VZW is going to want $40 or more dollars per month for 4G mobile internet, it better be unlimited. Cause for that kind of pricing, I'd probably need to cancel my home hard wired internet, and turn both my & my wife's phone into mobile wi-fi hotspots for our home desktop & laptops.

I am Fake Jesus

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I would be more inclined to think that Verizon would not charge extra for its 4G smartphones per month until the service becomes nationwide.

that sums it all up. because it would be outrageous to charge someone that lives no where near 4g just because they want a good phone.

me on the other hand. i live in nc an almost my entire state will be covered by mid year. ill sign a contract while its $30 unlimited. but $10 aint nothing if the speeds are awesome.

sprint might be able to get away with the $10. but thats just them slowly stealing peoples money as they think they are getting a deal. sad.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
My hope is that Verizon learns from Sprint and doesn't charge a premium, in the *least* to users who don't use or don't have 4G in their market. If they're going to charge more for actually using it, then so be it.

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
My hope is that Verizon learns from Sprint and doesn't charge a premium, in the *least* to users who don't use or don't have 4G in their market. If they're going to charge more for actually using it, then so be it.

Chris,
I am not sure about my personal comment here because I was getting ready to start another thread called: Update On Verizon Android Data Plans in the General Section until I saw this already started so....

I just called Verizon on an unrelated matter for myself in regards to my upgrade date that I wanted to confirm(March 12) and a promotion they are giving me.

I spoke to a Senior Rep who I felt was very knowledgeable and I asked as I wanted to buy the iphone or the Thunderbolt and what would be the data plan prices. I was told that since several months ago I actually downgraded my unlimited plan because I was not using anything close down to the 150mb for $15.00 that if I chose any Android phone out now or coming out being the tbolt or Bionic that I would be grandfathered in to what i have now but if I went iphone(I am not) that for sure it would go back to unlimited.

I also asked about any 4g surcharge and was told that on her surcharge sheet as of now there was nothing about anything extra for 4g phones.

I am sure you smart folks on here know alot more than me or the reps...;) but thought I would post this just in case and hope it helps someone.

Thanks for reading this long response.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
That seems to be the general consensus from all of the reps, but I think what we need to pay attention to is the key words "as of now". Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but to me that says there may certainly still be a surcharge.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I also asked about any 4g surcharge and was told that on her surcharge sheet as of now there was nothing about anything extra for 4g phones.

As of now there are no 4G phones available, so as of now, there are no 4G plans to speak of.

Once a 4G phone can be purchased, there will be a 4G data plan to go along with it. That's why all their current data plans have been branded as 3G.

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
i am thinking of switching to sprint for cheaper service. the coverage is about the same where i live. I get more for my money with sprint. I love the evo and the t-bolt looks to be the same phone.

bmcclure937

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
i am thinking of switching to sprint for cheaper service. the coverage is about the same where i live. I get more for my money with sprint. I love the evo and the t-bolt looks to be the same phone.

Looks are quite deceiving... because the TB is a different beast inside. Entirely better than the EVO.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo